Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: How to make a floor muddy  (Read 726 times)

Samuel

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McBateman cancels Attend Meeting: Too Insane
    • View Profile
How to make a floor muddy
« on: September 07, 2010, 03:05:44 pm »

Spot for an underground farm, but there's no mud there. There's also no nearby water source to channel into the room. Is there a quick efficient way to get it muddy enough for a farm?

Daetrin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: How to make a floor muddy
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2010, 03:15:05 pm »

Channel above it and mark the open space as a pond zone (i).  If you have buckets, you should start getting water in there.
All you need to know about Ardentdikes
It is really, really easy to flood this place with magma fwiw.

Doors stop fire, right?

Proteus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2010, 03:21:38 pm »

The most efficient way probably is, to look out for the caverns...
they contain enough mud for your needs

;)

Samuel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2010, 04:22:00 pm »

There aren't any caverns nearby, but there's a crapload of ponds on the surface, so, the pond zone idea sounds good. thanks.

K4el

• Bay Watcher
  • [BORED][AT_WORK]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2010, 04:30:56 pm »

Spot for an underground farm, but there's no mud there. There's also no nearby water source to channel into the room. Is there a quick efficient way to get it muddy enough for a farm?

http://df.magmawiki.com/index.php/Irrigation

There are several methods all outlined in that link.

FleshForge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2010, 04:59:37 pm »

Something to keep in mind, you don't want your undeground farm area exposed to sunlight or any such tiles will forever be unsuitable for underground farming, so don't drop the water straight down from the surface, tunnel some kind of bend to block the light.

Shagomir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2010, 06:05:41 pm »

This is how I irrigate, I find it much less annoying than bucket brigades, but it takes a little bit longer to set up:

RED is the inlet floodgates. If it wasn't winter, I would be able to use the lever on the left in the master control room (GREEN) to flood the farms connected to the floodgate. Since this is a river and not a small pool, I also have to have the BLUE outlet floodgates, in case I over-fill. Not shown because I haven't built them yet are the walls with carved fortifications in front of both sets of floodgates to keep the nasties out.

If you are connected to a murky pool on the surface, you can usually get by without an outlet, but it might be a good idea to connect your farms to a small cistern in case you miscalculated the amount of water in the pool.

This has the added benefit of being reusable, which I have noticed a need for after a few years of farming from time to time. 
Take a look at my fancy North America Worldgen!

Jayce

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2010, 07:11:12 pm »

Pump water from a nearby lake or something,when it subsides there will be mud.

Samuel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2010, 12:44:19 pm »

Something to keep in mind, you don't want your undeground farm area exposed to sunlight or any such tiles will forever be unsuitable for underground farming, so don't drop the water straight down from the surface, tunnel some kind of bend to block the light.

Why didn't you tell me that before I dug the tunnel?!

Can- can I block off the tunnel? Will that save it? I should I just find another use for a room that now has a skylight?

Proteus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2010, 01:04:12 pm »

Why didn't you tell me that before I dug the tunnel?!

Can- can I block off the tunnel? Will that save it? I should I just find another use for a room that now has a skylight?

Maybe you should think of starting growing surface crops there ;)

Samuel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 08, 2010, 02:16:52 pm »

Ahh well, I just had my first tantrum spiral at that fortress anyway. Only 2 dwarves out of 20 survived, and I'm probably gonna kill them later.