Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Goblin master?  (Read 3419 times)

Moonshine Fox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Goblin master?
« Reply #15 on: September 09, 2010, 09:47:11 am »

Unfortunately there's no such thing as a "Training hammer."
Wouldn't an adamantine hammer suffice for endless rounds of whack-a-captured-goblin-leader ?
Only if you wanted to turn the goblin into green goo after the first hit.

Proteus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 09, 2010, 09:59:37 am »

Wouldn't an adamantine hammer suffice for endless rounds of whack-a-captured-goblin-leader ?
Only if you wanted to turn the goblin into green goo after the first hit.

If the tests are correct,
you would take many hits with an  adamantine warhammer (or mace) to turn anyone into coloured goo...
due to the low weight of adamantine, it seems to be a rather inefficient material for blunt weapons

Josephus

• Bay Watcher
  • The Immortal Historian
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 09, 2010, 10:08:02 am »

This thread is weird.

Yes, hammers work on weight, rather than maximum edge, so a bronze warhammer is a worse weapon than a silver one. The lighter the material, the less effective the hammer.
Solar Rangers: Suggestion Game in SPAAAAACE
RPG Interest Check Thread
i had the elves bring me two tigermen, although i forgot to let them out of the cage and they died : ( i was sad : (

ledgekindred

• Bay Watcher
  • Oh Boy, Microcline
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 09, 2010, 10:14:51 am »

Yeah coz of the lack of weight, but you're going to use magic blue metal on that?  Besides by the time you get any you should have a bunch of legendary hammerdwarves I hope.  Or expect lots and lots of Fun. 
I don't understand, though that is about right with anything DF related.
I just hope he dies the same death that all dwarfs deserve: liver disease.
The legend of Reg: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=65866.0
Atir Stigildegel, Legless Hero of Diamondrelic: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=83136.0

Josephus

• Bay Watcher
  • The Immortal Historian
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 09, 2010, 10:15:49 am »

Yeah but you're going to use magic blue metal on that?  Besides by the time you get there you should have a bunch of legendary hammerdwarves I hope.  Or expect lots and lots of Fun.

Dude, that goblin master is visiting royalty. Of course they should use the blue stuff on her. It would be remiss of them not to.
i had the elves bring me two tigermen, although i forgot to let them out of the cage and they died : ( i was sad : (

ledgekindred

• Bay Watcher
  • Oh Boy, Microcline
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 09, 2010, 10:22:10 am »

This thread is weird.

Weird?  ... hm ...

THIS! IS! DWARF! FORTRESS!

:D

Dude, that goblin master is visiting royalty. Of course they should use the blue stuff on her. It would be remiss of them not to.

That's why I installed her very special quarters, made by my legendary glassmaker, right in the prime social center of my fort!  (Ok, I admit it's not the best material but that's only until I can get some crystal glass produced for him to work with.)  And we can't be having royalty wearing all that nasty blood-coated war gear, so I took it all away from her!

See? I'm totally treating her like royalty.
Atir Stigildegel, Legless Hero of Diamondrelic: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=83136.0

Josephus

• Bay Watcher
  • The Immortal Historian
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 09, 2010, 10:24:19 am »

You must beat her with the royal metal!

Or at least gold, I dunno. Gold swords. They're blunt enough not to kill.

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 09, 2010, 10:27:16 am »

I saw this thread and immediately thought: "I want to be... THE GOBLIN MASTER!"

Dok Enkephalin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 09, 2010, 10:32:11 am »

A leader doesn't lose their leader status when leaving their city, they can migrate to a new city in the civilization and it regains their leadership. If the leader is a monarch or master, that city becomes the new capital. So if this guy gets a clean escape out of your site, it may take awhile but he can return to ruling the goblins.

ledgekindred

• Bay Watcher
  • Oh Boy, Microcline
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 09, 2010, 10:55:06 am »

Since we've been talking about naked goblins, this statement should probably be followed by an awkward silence...

A leader doesn't lose their leader status when leaving their city, they can migrate to a new city in the civilization and it regains their leadership. If the leader is a monarch or master, that city becomes the new capital. So if this guy gets a clean escape out of your site, it may take awhile but he can return to ruling the goblins.

While she was still in the trap, before my dwarves recovered her cage, the goblin civilization showed "No important leaders" but I noticed it shows her as the leader again even though I now have her "installed" in my fort.  I'm slightly disappointed because I wanted to see if their civ would appoint a new leader and then go into legends mode and read about it.

It would be cool if my fort could become the new capital of the goblin civilization.  Although I'm sure that can't happen.

Josephus

• Bay Watcher
  • The Immortal Historian
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 09, 2010, 10:56:38 am »

Since we've been talking about naked goblins, this statement should probably be followed by an awkward silence...

Alternately, install her in your barracks. Watching dwarves wrestle is torture enough.

pushy

• Bay Watcher
  • [MEANDERER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 09, 2010, 05:51:43 pm »

No, no, no. She must meet with the royalty, with other nobles in attendance to observe the historic meeting of two great leaders.

Once her business there has been concluded, the soldiers can then be allowed to participate in the celebrations.
Quote from: Tim Edwards, PC Gamer UK
There are three things I know about dwarves:
1. They've got beards. Even the women.
2. They're short. Especially the women.
3. They're Scottish.

ledgekindred

• Bay Watcher
  • Oh Boy, Microcline
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 09, 2010, 06:06:33 pm »

No, no, no. She must meet with the royalty, with other nobles in attendance to observe the historic meeting of two great leaders.

You are reading my mind.  I had the idea of putting her in a Danger Room and walling it off for a few seasons until she becomes a legendary fighter.  Install some cage traps outside and let her out.  Then introduce her to my nobles.  (In a locked room with a cage trap outside, of course.)

She won't pick up gear if I "accidentally" drop some stuff in the danger room, will she...

ledgekindred

• Bay Watcher
  • Oh Boy, Microcline
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 09, 2010, 06:10:40 pm »

And you know, goblin or otherwise, this:

>> 592 - Stasost becomes master of The Impervious Scourge.  (16 year old goblin girl takes over position previously held by brute of mud from the time before time? You Go Girl! *snaps*)

demands some respect.  So I certainly don't want to just dump her in lava.  It's gotta be much more befitting.

I'm liking the "meet the nobles" idea more and more.  Keep her in cage-stasis until there is a "need" for her to meet new nobles.

slothen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 09, 2010, 10:21:21 pm »

I'm thinking, Maximum Security Prison megaproject.  I'm thinking you would suspend a glass room over a pit/magma.  Glass room would have a 3 room cell for the goblin leader, including a training room with wooden spike traps to actually make it more dangerous.  The top level of the room should contain magma ready to kill the prisoner at an instant.  The suspended room connects to guardroom by a retractable bridge.  Aside from that the glass room should be hanging from a single support that can be remotely destroyed via lever from at least 2 different locations.  Alternatively, instead of a hanging room, the glass cell can be in a larger room and completely submerged with magma.  There can be a permanent access passageway to cell, but it would have to be flooded with magma and drained via a pump - gear assembly - lever mechanism. 
While adding magma to anything will make it dwarfy, adding the word "magma" to your post does not necessarily make it funny.
Thoughts on water
MILITARY: squad, uniform, training
"DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF." -NW_Kohaku
Pages: 1 [2] 3