Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Dwarves die for booze  (Read 603 times)

affg

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Dwarves die for booze
« on: September 07, 2010, 09:32:09 am »

I am sieged by some angry humans, so i prepared a grand party for them. Unfortenately i forget to produce enough boose for my dwaves. So after i lowered the bridge of the entrance, instead of the besieger coming in all my dwarves are rushing outside for a long forgotten caraven killed by some goblin ambushers which contains one barrel of sweet prickle berry wine. So far no problem. But after returning from the drinking bout the besiegers have reached the entrance and have a lot of fun with my drunken absolutely defenceless dwarves.

Unfortunately my only savegame starts at the time when half of my dwarves are already outside of my castle. How can i make my dwaves forget the booze and return immediately into the castle ?

MTGorilla

• Bay Watcher
  • Professor! Lava! Hot!
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarves die for booze
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2010, 09:36:00 am »

Try forbidding the barrel of liquor ( [k] to look, select the barrel and press [f] ), or [ o]ordering everyone to stay inside.
"Hey, Urist, let's party! We gonna be soooo sober tonight!"
"Nah, thanks, but I already came late to work today, because I drank to little the night before..."
Dwarven parties are hardcore

affg

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2010, 09:54:54 am »

Thanks,
forbidding the barrel worked perfectly.

However how can i manager with ordering that veryone stays inside ?

bp1986

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2010, 10:02:05 am »

It is kinda a pain (especially when mining future rooms), but I use burrows. I put every safe tile on a single burrow and then assign all of my helpless dwarf to it. This also has the advantage of forcing your dwarfs to cancel their job mid-step and run back to the safe burrow, however running away from an enemy takes precedence over reaching safety, so if there is an enemy in sight, they may run randomly and miss the entrance.

Note: This will generate ALOT of job cancellations as the job assigning function does not account for this (that is my guess anyway). So, I would suggest turning off dwarfs announce job cancellations in the O menu.

WCG

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • That's interesting...
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2010, 10:26:38 am »

You can just make a safety burrow in your dining hall (with food and drink storage), so civilian dwarves will run inside when you give them the alert. Then, when they're inside, lock the front door, so you can quickly release them from the alert again.

Of course, they WILL get outside, if they can and if there's something out there. And the locked door might interfere with your military. So you'll want to keep things outside forbidden, and cancel any jobs out there.

But if a civilian does get out where you don't want him, just give the alert again and try to fix the problem.

Psieye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2010, 10:39:55 am »

It is kinda a pain (especially when mining future rooms), but I use burrows. I put every safe tile on a single burrow and then assign all of my helpless dwarf to it. This also has the advantage of forcing your dwarfs to cancel their job mid-step and run back to the safe burrow, however running away from an enemy takes precedence over reaching safety, so if there is an enemy in sight, they may run randomly and miss the entrance.
If you're individually assigning every dwarf to that burrow, that's a long-winded way to get the job done. This is what the alert system is for - all civilians will move to the designated "safe burrow" when you declare that alert level.
Military Training EXP Analysis
Congrats, Psieye. This is the first time I've seen a derailed thread get put back on the rails.

Ganthan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2010, 11:29:41 am »

I'm sorry, but that scenario just makes me laugh. :D

Dwarf 1: The bridge is lowering now.  Get ready to slaughter them humies, boys.
Dwarf 2: Who cares about them?  We're out of booze and there's a barrel of some in that caravan wreckage over there!
Dwarf 3: Screw you guys, I call dibs!
Dwarf 4: Outta my way!!

mLegion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2010, 12:24:11 pm »

I think burrows automatically expand when you mine out a new area if you include the walls in the burrow.

ledgekindred

• Bay Watcher
  • Oh Boy, Microcline
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2010, 12:32:34 pm »

I think burrows automatically expand when you mine out a new area if you include the walls in the burrow.

I've read this before but never had it happen.  I always have to expand the burrows myself.  I've had plenty of rooms that are well inside a safe burrow that I have dwarves restricted to, ask someone to dig out a room to make it bigger, then come back and see that they have stopped at the edge of the burrow.

I usually wind up designating pretty much an entire level as part of an "inside" burrow before I start digging it out, saving me the hassle of having to add it later.
I don't understand, though that is about right with anything DF related.
I just hope he dies the same death that all dwarfs deserve: liver disease.
The legend of Reg: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=65866.0
Atir Stigildegel, Legless Hero of Diamondrelic: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=83136.0

Stardrinker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 07, 2010, 02:18:28 pm »

If you select a whole Z-level as a burrow, even though there's only a small room on that Z-level to begin with, then any room expansions later on will still be within that burrow.

i.e. Burrow selections are still active in black un-dug tiles, you just won't see a flashing indicator for it until you dig it out.