Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Underwater traps  (Read 1551 times)

Proteus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Underwater traps
« on: September 07, 2010, 07:43:27 am »

Has anyone tested if weapons traps (and/or mechanism powered upright spears/spikes) work underwater?

A forbidden beast entering my fortress through my well (thereby moving through 2 underwater fortifications, fortunately only 1 military dwarf and 2 war dogs were killed)  brought me to the idea, that maybe traps/lever driven upright spikes might be a measure to avoid enemies (especially swimming invaders) entering through your channels/wells (I know, forbidden beasts are trap immune, but they should be affected by moving upright spears/spikes. And normal eapon traps would still be a nice thing against swimming mounts of invaders, like cave crocodiles, or normal critters).

So has anyone tested if they still work if submerged?

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
Re: Underwater traps
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2010, 07:49:14 am »

All traps work even if submerged.  Oddly enough, even pressure plates work when submerged to detect swimming creatures.  And you should still be able to hit swimming trap-immune creatures with spikes underwater.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

Proteus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2010, 08:00:09 am »

This is great, everything I hoped for :)

Is there any danger of poisonous blood from forgotten beasts poisoning my wells, if I kill such a beast via spikes underwater in the channel to the well?
(The one I mentioned for example had blood which caused rapid rot...fortunately the only bloodspatters from killing this beast landed on the wall, and none on the floor, which is why only 2 soldiers and 2 dogs were affected [one soldier could get saved by emergency surgery])

Hans Lemurson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2010, 08:03:29 am »

It is my belief that wells have magical purifying properties which let them turn any water into drinkable water.
Foolprooof way to penetrate aquifers of unlimited depth.  (Make sure to import at least 10 stones for mechanisms)
Toughen Dwarves by dropping stuff on them.  (Nothing too heavy though, and make sure to wear armor.)
"Urist had a little lamb
whose feet tracked blighted soot.
And into every face he saw
his sooty foot he put."