Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Bearmen! [Need help]  (Read 427 times)

janglur

• Bay Watcher
  • +Blood Soup+
    • View Profile
Bearmen! [Need help]
« on: September 06, 2010, 11:09:11 pm »

So i'm trying to make a race of anthropomorphic norse bears, that are similar to dwarves in many ways, but bears.  And live in cold, frigid areas.

I tried modding dwarves' info but it crashes on worldgen if there are any bearmen left alive after histories.

If I post my templates, would someone be able to help me out?  (And maybe help me also make them more bearlike?)
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
http://207.177.39.129/entity_default.txt
http://207.177.39.129/creature_standard.txt
« Last Edit: September 07, 2010, 12:21:02 am by janglur »

Internet Kraken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Bearmen! [Need help]
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2010, 11:47:21 pm »

You need to post your entity and creature raws for the bearmen for anyone to help you.
Picture a dwarf, warrior, mechanic, or some other incredibly useful profession. Now picture him dead. That's what infections do.
[NOPAIN] no gain.
Escapist Reveredtour Let's Play.

janglur

• Bay Watcher
  • +Blood Soup+
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2010, 12:21:10 am »

Posted

Jordan~

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2010, 03:36:13 am »

As far as making them more bear-like is concerned, it depends on what sort of feel you want them to have. If you want them to be a bit more feral, I'd suggest reducing all of the "civilised" attributes (creativity, analytical ability, musicality, linguistic ability, etc.) and boosting things like intuition, spatial sense, kinesthetic sense, etc.
Given that bears aren't very social animals, you might also want to nerf their social awareness.
Another way would be with flavour text. I'm not sure about the mechanics of it, but I believe it's possible to rename all their body parts (hands and feet to paws; noses, lips or something to muzzles, etc.) and to give them unique characteristics of the sort that you see in dwarves, elves, humans, titans, forgotten beasts, etc., e.g. sound of voice, thickness of fur, and the "air of majesty" or whatever that you sometimes see on titans. For bears I'd suggest things like the degree to which they growl, the thickness of their fur, whether or not they have that confused look that grizzly bears always seem to have, and that sort of thing. Again, I'm not totally sure how it's done, though.
Good luck!