Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: How do I release animals from cages that were brought in by merchants?  (Read 35803 times)

johnny_cat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I just got my first tame grizzly bear from the elves, but I want to be able to train it into a war bear. But I don't know how to get it out of its cage.

Imakuni

• Bay Watcher
  • !!Dance Floor!!
    • View Profile
Re: How do I release animals from cages that were brought in by merchants?
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2010, 10:09:00 pm »

Build a different cage somewhere else, then assign the animal to that cage, then take it out of that cage.
Urist McImmigrant: "What?! Hey! What's going onnn---aaaaRRRGGHH!!"
Urist McSurgeon: "Must remove the rot, yes.  This one is unclean, ssssss.  Purity of essence, yesss."
Urist McImmigrant: "Whhaa---aaaARRGHH OW!  MY PANCREAS!  AAAAGGHH!! THAT'S MY - NOOOOO---AAARRGHGHHH!!!"
Urist McImmigrant has suffocated.

Man of Paper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2010, 10:12:34 pm »

I trained a Giant Jaguar from the cage.

johnny_cat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2010, 10:19:00 pm »

Build a different cage somewhere else, then assign the animal to that cage, then take it out of that cage.

Tried that, it just put the bear, cage and all, into the other cage.

bdunwithat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2010, 10:22:29 pm »

Link it to a lever. Don't do this if its not tame ;)

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2010, 10:38:25 pm »

Even easier - build the cage that contains the animal, then [q]uery it and unassign it. If the animal is tame, a dwarf should come along and let the animal out of its cage (if it isn't, a dwarf will pick up an empty cage and pack the creature into it, then haul said cage to an animal stockpile).
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

slothen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2010, 11:20:17 pm »

Even easier - build the cage that contains the animal, then [q]uery it and unassign it. If the animal is tame, a dwarf should come along and let the animal out of its cage (if it isn't, a dwarf will pick up an empty cage and pack the creature into it, then haul said cage to an animal stockpile).

THIS explains why my dwarves wouldn't properly release the goblins i captured.
While adding magma to anything will make it dwarfy, adding the word "magma" to your post does not necessarily make it funny.
Thoughts on water
MILITARY: squad, uniform, training
"DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF." -NW_Kohaku

Gnauga

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2010, 11:33:07 pm »

If you want a gobbo released, you need to designate a pit for the dorf to drag them to. This pit ideally hangs over a 20-z level drop onto some steel menacing spikes.

krenshala

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2010, 01:23:47 am »

This is a floor.  All craftsdwarfship is of the highest quality.  It menaces with spikes of steel.  On the floor is a picture of a goblin in goblinite.  The goblin is pleading.  This relates to the death of many goblin prisoners thrown from many z-levels above onto this floor.  On the floor is a picture of the floor in goblinite.
Quote from: Haspen
Quote from: phoenixuk
Zepave Dawnhogs the Butterfly of Vales the Marsh Titan ... was taken out by a single novice axedwarf and his pet war kitten. Long Live Domas Etasastesh Adilloram, slayer of the snow butterfly!
Doesn't quite have the ring of heroics to it...
Mother: "...and after the evil snow butterfly was defeated, Domas and his kitten lived happily ever after!"
Kids: "Yaaaay!"

Jayce

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 07, 2010, 04:12:51 am »

Build a cage assign the animal to it,then when its inside goto assign and unassign it.

Feral23

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 07, 2010, 11:41:58 am »

you can also designate a ramp as a pit, and harmlessly pit useful animals there, while pitting gobbos and nusiance beasts into a long fall (with Spikes)
Dungeon Crawl Stone Soup tiles ruined Ascii for me forever... and I played Hack when it was new.