Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 962 963 [964] 965 966 ... 1127

Author Topic: Out of context and funny quotes thread. 15000 posts and still chugging.  (Read 1719150 times)

Imic

• Bay Watcher
  • Still sad
    • View Profile
Imic's no longer allowed to vote.
Quote from: smyttysmyth
Well aren't you cheery
Quote cabinet
Regrets every choice he made and makes, including writing this here.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
Re: Out of context and funny quotes thread. The OP is a wrathful wizard.
« Reply #14446 on: February 09, 2018, 05:41:30 pm »

it took 'till today, when I finally passed the spot check for the fridge drawer full of blood and meat.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #14447 on: February 09, 2018, 07:12:49 pm »

ぁいす ぁいす ぁいす ぁいす ぁいす ぁいす ぁいす = "Hey, you are my girlfriend"
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Culise

• Bay Watcher
  • General Nuisance
    • View Profile
« Reply #14448 on: February 09, 2018, 08:51:33 pm »

ぁいす ぁいす ぁいす ぁいす ぁいす ぁいす ぁいす = "Hey, you are my girlfriend"
...is that some sort of rap joke?  Or whatever that "ice ice" thing came from.  I'll admit it doesn't really help even with context, except that it was apparently aiming for "ace" rather than "ice". ^_^

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #14449 on: February 09, 2018, 09:26:28 pm »

It's an odd Google Translate quirk with Japanese.  I forget the full explanation for why it happens, but repeating the same syllable various times... does the thing in the quote link.

It's not an intentional thing, though, IIRC it's a quirk of the algorithm doing its best!  I think it's that Japanese has a lot of homonyms, relying on context even more than English does.  (Can't blame the algorithm for reaching outlandish conclusions given nonsense noise)
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #14450 on: February 09, 2018, 10:00:16 pm »

A while back Google started using neural nets for their translation, so.  Its likely even Google doesn't know why that's happening.
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

TamerVirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Who cares
    • View Profile
« Reply #14451 on: February 09, 2018, 10:03:11 pm »

What can mysteriously disappear can mysteriously reappear
*Shakes fist at TamerVirus*

bloop_bleep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14452 on: February 10, 2018, 12:14:19 am »

A while back Google started using neural nets for their translation, so.  Its likely even Google doesn't know why that's happening.

Yeah. It's likely that the particular phrase Reelya used has so little meaning that no similar examples were used in the neural network's training data, so the outcome of the translation is essentially random.
Quote from: KittyTac
The closest thing Bay12 has to a flamewar is an argument over philosophy that slowly transitioned to an argument about quantum mechanics.
Quote from: thefriendlyhacker
The trick is to only make predictions semi-seriously.  That way, I don't have a 98% failure rate. I have a 98% sarcasm rate.

Tawa

• Bay Watcher
  • the first mankind all over the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #14453 on: February 10, 2018, 01:01:16 am »

Way off topic thread-wise, but relevant to the discussion at hand: a machine translated FFIV patch.

The guy doing it accidentally preserved the differences between Google's old method of translation and new neural network method. The first translation, done with the old translator, makes no sense and doesn't understand the concept of "grammar", but gets the general meaning across. The second translation, done with the neural network, makes no bloody sense at all, mangling the sentences beyond all recognition despite having marginally better sentence structure.
I don't use Bay12 much anymore. PM me if you need to get in touch with me and I'll send you my Discord handle.

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #14454 on: February 10, 2018, 01:05:11 pm »

Way off topic thread-wise, but relevant to the discussion at hand: a machine translated FFIV patch.

The guy doing it accidentally preserved the differences between Google's old method of translation and new neural network method. The first translation, done with the old translator, makes no sense and doesn't understand the concept of "grammar", but gets the general meaning across. The second translation, done with the neural network, makes no bloody sense at all, mangling the sentences beyond all recognition despite having marginally better sentence structure.
I hid my hands in the hobbies of the hobs buried in the murmurs of the shoes.
Neutralize Germany
There are really just too many funny quotes to list.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2018, 01:07:21 pm by Bumber »
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

IronTomato

• Bay Watcher
  • VENGEANCE
    • View Profile
Reddit
« Reply #14455 on: February 11, 2018, 01:03:29 am »

How'd they manage to die if they were toddlers? I was under the impression that toddlers can't die
They definitely can't die. I've tried everything. You know, for science.
Can they not starve to death like any adult??
Social Services. They’re taken away before they can die.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14456 on: February 11, 2018, 07:05:39 am »

How'd they manage to die if they were toddlers? I was under the impression that toddlers can't die
They definitely can't die. I've tried everything. You know, for science.
Can they not starve to death like any adult??
Social Services. They’re taken away before they can die.

The Sims(3?). Good times.

I tried once to set a basement full of babies and haystacks on fire, except it took so long that they were starving and the SS showed up at the exact time I finally got the fire started. The mother burned to death while angsting over her babies being taken away. Totally going to hell several times over for that one.

It turns out I was using the wrong fireplace - the cheapest one is actually incapable of starting a house fire.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

Derpy Dev

• Bay Watcher
  • Normal Person Doing Normal Things
    • View Profile
« Reply #14457 on: February 11, 2018, 12:27:19 pm »

The Sims(3?). Good times.

I tried once to set a basement full of babies and haystacks on fire, except it took so long that they were starving and the SS showed up at the exact time I finally got the fire started. The mother burned to death while angsting over her babies being taken away. Totally going to hell several times over for that one.

It turns out I was using the wrong fireplace - the cheapest one is actually incapable of starting a house fire.

What if hell is just a giant game of the Sims played by Satan, and sinners are the pawns?

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14458 on: February 11, 2018, 12:30:31 pm »

...Then I really hope Satan is the kind of player that sets Sim Automation to high and lets his Sims do whatever. Then again, I am not; I micro everything, like the OCD traits that self-insert Sim coincidentally has.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

Chevaleresse

• Bay Watcher
  • A knight, returned from a journey weary and long
    • View Profile
    • Patreon
« Reply #14459 on: February 13, 2018, 01:31:51 am »

Quote from: Xanmyral (via Discord
Remember kids: do drugs
all the drugs
It makes you immune to fuckin' bullets
GM of Trespassers V2.
If you like my work, consider becoming a patron. (Since apparently people think this is a requirement: no, my game(s) are free to play and always will be.
Pages: 1 ... 962 963 [964] 965 966 ... 1127