Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Frustration  (Read 1572 times)

Man of Paper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Frustration
« on: September 06, 2010, 03:56:49 pm »

Is there any way to stop dwarves from rushing into the field of battle like bumbling idiots? One of my doors was jammed open by the arm of a snatcher from earlier that never got picked up. My dwarves flooded out of the walls and straight into the spears of the goblin attackers. I canceled all jobs and forbade as much as I could, but still they came. It was a great fortress ruined by the low IQ of dwarves.

JoRo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Frustration
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2010, 04:00:17 pm »

In the 'o'rders menu I believe there are settings for the forbidding of death objects, but setting a burrow and ordering the civilians into it would also work.
You have been struck down.
The giant cave spider spits out your head.

Aramco

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2010, 04:01:05 pm »

Is there any way to stop dwarves from rushing into the field of battle like bumbling idiots? One of my doors was jammed open by the arm of a snatcher from earlier that never got picked up. My dwarves flooded out of the walls and straight into the spears of the goblin attackers. I canceled all jobs and forbade as much as I could, but still they came. It was a great fortress ruined by the low IQ of dwarves.

Urist1- Hey look, that door is stuck.

Urist2- You're right! Hey are those guts all over the place outside?

Urist1- Yeah, why?

Urist2- Let's go clean them up!

Urist1- Good idea!
Or maybe there's a god who's just completely insane and sends you to Detroit, Michigan in a new body if you ever utter the name "Pat Sajak".

endorfin

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2010, 04:08:49 pm »

I've been creating a burrow that is the whole inside of my fortress.  Create an alert just for that burrow, and then when there's danger, switch your civilians to that alert.

Man of Paper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2010, 04:12:08 pm »

So much work to keep the little bastards alive.

Lemunde

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2010, 04:20:43 pm »

Well I recently discovered an effective way to keep my dwarves inside.  The drawback is they're rarely allowed to do anything outside so hunting and cutting trees is out of the question.  I use a sort of airlock system. 

W = wallgrate
L = lever
# = wall
* = weapon trap

###########
##########                  #########
W********                     W        rest of fortress...
W********                     W
##########                  ####L  L###
                  #     trade      #    ####
                  #     depot     #
                  ###########

Obviously my current fortress doesn't look exactly like that but it's the same concept.  Only one set of wall grates are open at a time.  For the majority of the time the outer gates are open and the inner gates are closed.  This allows traders instant access to the depot once they show up.  After the traders are all set up I close the outer gates and open the inner gates allowing trade to commence.  A neat trick I found is to chain a dog or two near the trade depot.  This gives invaders something to attack that isn't locked away in my fortress and so they wander straight into the weapon traps.  When the traps need to be cleaned I simply cycle both gates and let my cleaners get to work in safety.

I could actually leave both gates open if I wanted but I would have to make sure everything outside the fortress was forbidden and I would have to keep a close eye on the weapon traps.  If corpses start showing up in the traps I would need to close the outer gates immediately or risk cleaners getting caught in an ambush.

Still Standing

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2010, 06:29:50 pm »

If you linked one set of your wall grates to a lever, [P]ulled the level, then linked the other set, would one close as the other opened?
Diggy diggy hole.

KojaK

• Bay Watcher
  • KojaK cancels job: interrupted by Dwarf Fortress
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2010, 06:34:49 pm »

Urist1- Hey look, that door is stuck.

Urist2- You're right! Hey are those guts all over the place outside?

Urist1- Yeah, why?

Urist2- Let's go clean them up!

Urist1- Good idea!

More like:

Urist1- Hey look, that door is stu- SOCKS!

Urist2- HOLYSHITSOCKS!
Quote from: Airpi
A normal ballista does damage by piercing with overlarge arrows, a dwarven ballista does damage by crushing with entire trees.

They will run, naked, into the caverns and roll around in whatever nearby filth is available.  Watch for gory explosions.

Toast024

• Bay Watcher
  • Goes good with jam or butter.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2010, 06:42:44 pm »

http://s242.photobucket.com/albums/ff46/darksideorama/Tuuuubes/
Someone do that, but turn tubes into socks.
The learning curve of the df forums should be equal to that of df itself.

brucemo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2010, 07:06:22 pm »

Make a burrow that excludes everywhere that you don't want them to go, make a new alert that restricts affected dwarves to that burrow, and set the civilian alert accordingly when a fight starts outside.

Gatleos

• Bay Watcher
  • Mournhold... City of Light... City of MAGIC!
    • View Profile
    • Someone Sig This
« Reply #10 on: September 06, 2010, 09:25:41 pm »

Well I recently discovered an effective way to keep my dwarves inside.  The drawback is they're rarely allowed to do anything outside so hunting and cutting trees is out of the question.  I use a sort of airlock system. 

W = wallgrate
L = lever
# = wall
* = weapon trap

###########
##########                  #########
W********                     W        rest of fortress...
W********                     W
##########                  ####L  L###
                  #     trade      #    ####
                  #     depot     #
                  ###########

Obviously my current fortress doesn't look exactly like that but it's the same concept.  Only one set of wall grates are open at a time.  For the majority of the time the outer gates are open and the inner gates are closed.  This allows traders instant access to the depot once they show up.  After the traders are all set up I close the outer gates and open the inner gates allowing trade to commence.  A neat trick I found is to chain a dog or two near the trade depot.  This gives invaders something to attack that isn't locked away in my fortress and so they wander straight into the weapon traps.  When the traps need to be cleaned I simply cycle both gates and let my cleaners get to work in safety.

I could actually leave both gates open if I wanted but I would have to make sure everything outside the fortress was forbidden and I would have to keep a close eye on the weapon traps.  If corpses start showing up in the traps I would need to close the outer gates immediately or risk cleaners getting caught in an ambush.
If you linked one set of your wall grates to a lever, [P]ulled the level, then linked the other set, would one close as the other opened?
Anything you link up to levers/pressure plates will sync up automatically (except gear assemblies). So, you couldn't link them to one lever that way.

HOWEVER, you could optimize the airlock to be operated by one lever by replacing the outer set of wall grates with a 2x1 raising drawbridge. The bridge starts lowered, and the grates start closed. Therefore, when the grates are open, the bridge is raised, and forms a wall. Then there will be no delay in switching the airlock, as there is only one lever.
Think of it like Sim City, except with rival mayors that seek to destroy your citizens by arming legions of homeless people and sending them to attack you.
Quote from: Moonshadow101
it would be funny to see babies spontaneously combust
Gat HQ (Sigtext)
++U+U++ // ,.,.@UUUUUUUU

Lemunde

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 07, 2010, 03:02:46 am »

Except that there are some circumstances when you may want both open at the same time.  Like if you wanted to risk cutting wood outside or gather corpses.

Jayce

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 07, 2010, 04:10:43 am »

You need to create a burrow.

Grimlocke

• Bay Watcher
  • *kobold noises*
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 07, 2010, 04:23:07 am »

Easiest way I found for quickly switching back and forth between having them go outside and stay inside is to make a burrow alert.
I make Grimlocke's History & Realism Mods. Its got poleaxes, sturdy joints and bloomeries. Now compatible with DF Revised!

Calasmeer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 07, 2010, 06:31:26 am »

m-a, then make an alert called 'Panic' or something, and assign civilians to a burrow that you've already made with w. They'll all be restricted to the burrow you designated. Problem solved!
Pages: [1] 2