Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: no more above ground lava tubes?  (Read 538 times)

puke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
no more above ground lava tubes?
« on: September 06, 2010, 12:48:47 pm »

the version before this one (the first 2010 version, i think), I embarked on a mountain biome volcano and (just like in previous versions) the lava reached the top of the tube.

in the current version, the lava stops at "ground" level and an empty tube reaches the rest of the way up the mountain.  is it just me?  is it a bug now?  should I just try looking harder?

Aramco

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: no more above ground lava tubes?
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2010, 12:54:41 pm »

Try embarking on another volcano and see if it does it again, because nothing like that has ever happened to me.
Or maybe there's a god who's just completely insane and sends you to Detroit, Michigan in a new body if you ever utter the name "Pat Sajak".

ottottott

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2010, 12:58:06 pm »

Such a thing has happened to me. I have looked through quite many maps to find a good volcano/river maps and sometimes but rarely the lava does end quite deep and the empty volcano goes all the way up.

JAFANZ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2010, 01:00:45 pm »

I think the height of the tube & how far up the magma goes are somewhat separately calculated, I've seen volcanos where it's right to lip, & others around 10 levels lower, I don't know how great the gap can be, but presumably the height of the tube is calculated, then a random # of levels are subtracted for the top of the magma (otherwise we'd occaisionally see magma overflowing on arrival).

ottottott

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2010, 01:06:14 pm »

Well it would be logical that it would overflow since why should stop on the very edge? It does refill itself so why not overfill?

JAFANZ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2010, 01:21:38 pm »

Any volcano that was overflowing would be presumbably be disqualified as an Embark site, it'd probably also be in the middle of a mountain range that it created, so we don't actually know that none of the volcanos we can't embark on aren't overflowing.

I do however consider it unlikely that Toady would bother coding them that way.

Jayce

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2010, 03:34:40 pm »

Its random sometimes you have a high empty tube,sometimes the lavas all the way to the top.

Aramco

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2010, 03:36:57 pm »

Huh, I've never had a volcano not filled up to the very top.
Or maybe there's a god who's just completely insane and sends you to Detroit, Michigan in a new body if you ever utter the name "Pat Sajak".