Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Let's Play Bandit Kings of Ancient China  (Read 4642 times)

Yaddy1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Let's Play Bandit Kings of Ancient China
« on: September 06, 2010, 11:33:48 am »

So I'm starting a new topic to do the Let's Play as the other one has a poll embedded in it. A hurricane knocked my power out and it came online today. Below is my first update.

Well I have to pick a character. I guess I'll be this guy.

Well here's my stats. Now that I'm done the initial character stuff I'm going to get in-character.

I have been exiled from my homeland. I could not tolerate that villain Gao Qui and tried to stand up to him. Alas his power was to much and his followers to many. I was defeated and declared an outlaw by enemies and former friends alike.

I was cast out into prefecture 25, home of another rebel who has managed to set himself up as a legitimate ruler.

I don't wish to dawdle here so I'll flee to prefecture 17.

It seems someone named Wu Song has set himself up here. I won't stay here but I think I'll look around for someone to travel with me.

Another outlaw named Deng Fei has decided to join me. He too was exiled for speaking out against Gao Qui.

We now travel to prefecture 13. My plan is to settle in prefecture 1. It is significantly isolated that we should be able to build ourselves up.

I have met another bandit who is willing to join my band. His name is Liu Tang. He was not exiled for a noble reason. He is simply a criminal. However, currently, I need all he help I can get. Additionally he owns a boat which may come in handy.

I now continue into the prefecture that I hope to settle in.

Now that I arrive, this prefecture seems too close to those other outlaws. I believe that I shall continue onwards.

This territory is in just the right place. I shall settle here.

Open entering the city I see that is a poor place. The buildings are in poor repair and the population is sickly and the fields small. While this is unfortunate it will make the population easy to win over.

Now that I am settled I take a good look at my comrades. Both are quite strong and quick but neither are very clever. Also neither of them are particularly loyal. The best way to increase that is giving them some gold. Too bad I have next to none.

I then go hunting. The best way to gain the trust of the people is to feed them. The forests around here are full of game.

I go out hunting again. This time for furs. These will sell well in the marketplace.

It's now winter and I decide to go into town to sell my furs.

Well I now have lots of gold. That should help loyalty.

What!? Both of my comrades have betrayed me!? They were spies sent by Gao Qui!? Madness! How could I have been fooled! Well all I can do now is try and find some new comrades.

Edit: They both did betray me. I just didn't get a sceenshot of the message before it dissipated.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2010, 12:23:30 pm by Yaddy1 »

Servant Corps

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Let's Play Bandit Kings of Ancient China
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2010, 03:12:58 pm »

Well, that was a Dwarven end to the first LP post.

Good luck, Yaddy1. I haven't played this game, and I really like the spartan style of narration.
I have left Bay12Games to pursue a life of non-Bay12Games. If you need to talk to me, please email at me at igorhorst at gmail dot com.

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2010, 03:18:02 pm »

When was this game made? Looks like mid-nineties.

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
The Artist Formerly Known as Barbarossa TSG

Yaddy1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2010, 08:13:48 pm »

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2010, 08:15:25 pm »

wow, fancy game for '89. Following.

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
The Artist Formerly Known as Barbarossa TSG

Kebooo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2010, 11:28:22 pm »

Tough luck on the double betrayals, but it sounds pretty cool that can even happen.  Truth be told, I've never played Bandit Kings - I'm a huge Koei fan, but this was one series I never ended up playing. 

Yaddy1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2010, 10:00:39 am »

It's one of my favorites. However I'm gonna have to put this Let's Play on hold. The computer I am currently using belongs to my mother because my computer died a terrible death. I will have a new computer sometime between now and January. My mother informed me that she doesn't want me to use her computer for games so I will be resuming this LP just not immediately.

Ignus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • What would Conan do?
« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2010, 11:45:40 am »

Shame. This game looks fun, a bit like Koei added some RPG to their Romance of the Three Kingdoms series. Hope to see more!

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2010, 11:34:22 pm »

It is indeed a great game, even more so considering the time it was made.

Game tips in spoiler in case people would rather not know.  This includes our topic leader, as I know that sometimes I'd rather be amazed by a game than know exactly how it works.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Shame about the computer, I'd also like to see more.

neotemplar

• Bay Watcher
  • The [Weapon] has lodged firmly in the wound!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 01, 2010, 12:00:36 am »

This is making me almost want to LP Uncharted waters New Horizons or Romance of the Three Kingdoms VII (which I'm playing right now).  To bad I don't have time.  I also need to finish reading water margin, the story on which this game is based.
If not under Neotemplar look for Vellum.

<22:07:06> "Terry": If a kid is old enough to play D&D
<22:07:20> "Terry": A kid is old enough to experience a dolphin being strangled

Yaddy1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 01, 2010, 10:07:26 am »

New horizons is awesome. Only problem is it gets too repetitive. However I have had to suspend this Let's Play as the computer I'm running is incompatible with dosbox. For now I'm doing a Let's Play of Hearts of Iron Doomsday, an awesome WW2 simulator that extends into the Cold War.