Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Lye buckets just sitting there  (Read 966 times)

yarnosh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Lye buckets just sitting there
« on: November 18, 2006, 04:03:00 am »

Ok, I've read like 5 differnt reports on this forum about lye buckets that never get moved to barrels. It is acknowledged, but nobody ever seems to have a solution. I made about 6 buckets of lye before I realized that they weren't going anywhere. I have plenty of barrels and space on my food stockpile... so what gives? I have like 30 potential haulers (food/item) with no work, but they never pick up the job. In fact, there is no job in the "j" menu for the buckets. I dismantled the ashery and still nothing. The buckets just sit there.

I realize the I don't need to make lye first to make potash. I was hoping to use up some tallow for soap. Any solution to this problem? Or is the consensus that there is no utility in making lye to make soap at all, so don't bother? I have nothing better to do with the tallow. I mean, I've got more than enough food. Cooking tallow into yet more prepared meals that won't get eaten seems like a waste.

-matthew

Frugal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Lye buckets just sitting there
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2006, 05:48:00 am »

Generally people don't bother with soap.  I don't think it's really worth the trouble to make yet another tradeable item when you've got so many things to trade already.

Cook it.  Sell the food if you want.  Prepared food is actually pretty valuable.

Chthon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2006, 10:51:00 am »

Dwarves should be able to use soap around the fortress to clean blood and help disperse the effects of miasma.  Just my oppinion.
''d be perfect if I weren''t so arrogant.

yarnosh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2006, 12:01:00 pm »

So there is nothing i can do with these lye buckets? Just let them rot?

-yarnosh

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2006, 04:50:00 pm »

If they don't dump the lye into empty barrels, there's nothing you can do.  I'll check the job again.
The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!