Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Fat!  (Read 606 times)

Dekon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Fat!
« on: September 06, 2010, 10:25:55 am »

Anyone figured out if dwarven fat reduces and muscle builds over time?  Or through hard work?  And any factors that might effect this?  If there's just a link detailing current and up to date information on this, I'd be satisfied with that.

Aramco

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Fat!
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2010, 12:56:16 pm »

Anyone figured out if dwarven fat reduces and muscle builds over time?  Or through hard work?  And any factors that might effect this?  If there's just a link detailing current and up to date information on this, I'd be satisfied with that.

I don't think so.
Or maybe there's a god who's just completely insane and sends you to Detroit, Michigan in a new body if you ever utter the name "Pat Sajak".

KrazyDocK

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2010, 01:37:24 pm »

There is a partial list on the wiki of labours which increase strength and other attributes.  Someone did some dwarven science.

http://df.magmawiki.com/index.php/DF2010_Talk:Attribute

It should be pretty intuitive.  I'm pretty sure things like mining, woodcutting, and pump operating increase strength.  So should military training.

Aramco

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2010, 02:24:21 pm »

There is a partial list on the wiki of labours which increase strength and other attributes.  Someone did some dwarven science.

http://df.magmawiki.com/index.php/DF2010_Talk:Attribute

It should be pretty intuitive.  I'm pretty sure things like mining, woodcutting, and pump operating increase strength.  So should military training.

But does it reduce fat?
Or maybe there's a god who's just completely insane and sends you to Detroit, Michigan in a new body if you ever utter the name "Pat Sajak".

glopso

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2010, 02:55:27 pm »

Only muscle is built, no fat is burned in the game, unless you get set on fire. You would probably want to keep the fat, as it is a protective layer and helps(slightly) in defense by adding extra unimportant targets. The only benefits to losing fat would be more speed and some fire-resistance. But that's only if you lose ALL the fat. So no. You can't lose fat by working but you can build strength.

Dekon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2010, 04:25:56 pm »

Well, dwarves are supposed to be stout..  The whole 'untold layers of fat' hanging off every dwarf makes it stop being dwarf fortress and instead making it 'hairy blob' fortress

While we -could- petition Toady to rename the game BeardyBlob Fortress, I personally would prefer realism come into play so that dwarven bodies burn fat when not in use.

And here's the funny thing..I just remembered that I did in one game put the speed at 0 and worked the living crap out of my dwarves, and some of them may have gotten muscular without getting fat.. I can't recall..  Maybe I should experiment more.