Plasma Weapons
- 14 (35.9%)
Stun Bomb/Small Launcher
- 9 (23.1%)
Grav Shield
- 13 (33.3%)

Total Members Voted: 39

Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 38

Author Topic: Let's Play XCOM: UFO Defense!  (Read 79998 times)

Azzuro

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Let's Play XCOM: UFO Defense!
« Reply #150 on: September 19, 2010, 03:31:05 am »

Hey guys,  in an alternate save, I let the terror ship continue on its way, just to see where it was going.

It went to Berlin.

Guess the aliens really don't like Berlin for some reason...

United Forenia Forever!

Untouchable

• Bay Watcher
  • Gary Busey Smile Time Variety Hour
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: September 19, 2010, 03:44:51 am »

Log Entry 3

Dr. Phillip Kramer

I think that some of my fellow scientists are proving to be unable to cope with the gravity of the situation. Three of them have taken over half of the research area and have named it Scienceland. I'm starting to lock out my station when my shift is over as some of the alien entertainment modules have gone missing. I'm not pointing fingers but they are my prime suspects.

I observed a test with our live specimens. We showed them various flags and they reacted in a spectacular fashion to being shown a German flag. I suspect that there is something of note occurring in good old Germany.

End Entry

Azzuro

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: September 19, 2010, 07:29:53 am »

Spoiler: Update 8 (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: December 09, 2010, 10:31:48 am by Azzuro »

United Forenia Forever!

Maldevious

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: September 19, 2010, 07:48:49 am »

Mal begans to formulate a powerpoint linking the Germans to the alien threat.

Untouchable

• Bay Watcher
  • Gary Busey Smile Time Variety Hour
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: September 19, 2010, 07:50:34 am »

I'm absolutely screwed in my game. Only races to have appeared so far are Sectoids and Mutons. Seriously, effing Mutons were the second race to appear.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: September 19, 2010, 12:06:46 pm »

Nice. Do you plan on opening another base anytime soon?

Also, how come there was no attack on other continents?

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Phantom

• Bay Watcher
  • Asiatic Asian
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: September 19, 2010, 12:14:27 pm »

Nice. Do you plan on opening another base anytime soon?

Also, how come there was no attack on other continents?
Well our Radar isn't good enough to detect other UFOs across the world...

Hugehead

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: September 19, 2010, 12:28:09 pm »

Yellow = Detection range of X-COM craft (showing 1500nm diameter but the correct value is 1200nm diameter)
Green = Detection range of a Small Radar/Sonar (3000nm diameter), also maximum "base detection" range for craft
Blue = Detection range of a Large Radar/Sonar (4500nm diameter)
Red = Detection range of a Hyper-Wave Decoder/Transmission Resolver (4800nm diameter)

In practice, alien craft will often travel well within the listed detection ranges before being spotted. Detection "checks" are only performed twice an hour by the game, so fast-moving UFOs/USOs may travel quite a distance before the next check is performed; the Small and Large Radars/Sonars have only a 10-20% chance of detecting enemy ships in-range; and alien vessels are not seen until they enter the Earth's atmosphere or surface from the deeper levels of the ocean, which can potentially occur right near a base. X-COM Craft, like the Hyper-Wave Decoder/Transmission Resolver, appear to have a 100% chance of detecting UFOs/USOs that are within their detection range.

Once detected, UFOs/USOs remain visible until they leave the Earth's atmosphere or travel outside the detection radius of all available radars. The half-hour check for detection applies to tracking as well, so aliens may travel far outside your radar coverage before disappearing from the screen. This is especially true for fast-moving ships, which can travel as much as 2500 nm between updates. However, a UFO that leaves the atmosphere (or USO that attempts to dive too deep) will disappear immediately.

Alien Bases can only be detected by traveling/patrolling X-COM aircraft (or sometimes by X-COM agent reports at the end of each month). The maximum detection range is 1500nm from the aircraft and the chance of detection appears to decrease with distance. The longer a craft is left patrolling in one area, the more likely it will be to discover all bases nearby.
Shameless quote from wiki.
We're Bay12er's. If there is a bug, we will find it, exploit it, and make a recursive statue out of it. Just look up Planepacked.
When a dwarf enters a martial trance, they become Jedi. Short, drunken Jedi.

Phantom

• Bay Watcher
  • Asiatic Asian
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: September 19, 2010, 12:36:26 pm »

That still does not reach to the continents across the world or most of Asia.

Hugehead

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: September 19, 2010, 12:39:27 pm »

I know, was just putting it there for reference.
We're Bay12er's. If there is a bug, we will find it, exploit it, and make a recursive statue out of it. Just look up Planepacked.
When a dwarf enters a martial trance, they become Jedi. Short, drunken Jedi.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: September 19, 2010, 01:54:39 pm »

I know that our radar don't cover the whole world, but if they launch a terror attack on New York, we should know about it anyway, shouldn't we?

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: September 19, 2010, 02:47:15 pm »

Wow, that's a lot of research you did right there.

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
The Artist Formerly Known as Barbarossa TSG

USEC_OFFICER

• Bay Watcher
  • Pulls the strings and makes them ring.
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: September 19, 2010, 02:54:05 pm »

I know that our radar don't cover the whole world, but if they launch a terror attack on New York, we should know about it anyway, shouldn't we?

That would probably be correct, since there exist such things as the internet and land lines with can be used to contact the base.

Azzuro

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: September 20, 2010, 08:56:29 am »

X-COM receives notification of the aliens landing and attacking a city, so terror missions will never be skipped because of that ALIENS TERRORIZE Berlin pop-up. On the contrary, X-COM radars suck at detection, so we didn't detect the Terror Ship that went for Berlin the first time. UFO activity for areas outside radar range can only be accessed through the graphs of alien activity. Anyway, that Hyperwave Decoder's going online in about a week.

Also, we don't have enough in the bank to afford a second base (only about a million), but I could sell off alien loot for another million or so. That would provide enough to start a little detection base, but where should we put it?

United Forenia Forever!

Maldevious

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: September 20, 2010, 09:00:10 am »

I'd say put the base by our biggest donor who isn't near our current base. Maybe somewhere in Asia, or the U.S.?
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 38