Plasma Weapons
- 14 (35.9%)
Stun Bomb/Small Launcher
- 9 (23.1%)
Grav Shield
- 13 (33.3%)

Total Members Voted: 39

Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 38

Author Topic: Let's Play XCOM: UFO Defense!  (Read 79982 times)

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
Re: Let's Play XCOM: UFO Defense!
« Reply #120 on: September 11, 2010, 12:39:09 pm »

Cool. If I get to become Captain (By shooting Frank in the back for example. :p) Can I get the Rear Commander stuff where I sit in the transport toying with Blaster Launcher and Psi-amps?

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Hugehead

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: September 11, 2010, 12:43:52 pm »

Yeah, this base is an easy target, move all the hangers to the north and only one room connecting them to the main base.
We're Bay12er's. If there is a bug, we will find it, exploit it, and make a recursive statue out of it. Just look up Planepacked.
When a dwarf enters a martial trance, they become Jedi. Short, drunken Jedi.

Azzuro

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: September 11, 2010, 02:01:13 pm »

Man, if our Characters survive to the end, someone has to start a X-Com Terror From The Deep Let's Play with them as the Generals.

I've never played Terror From The Deep, though.

BTW, the base is completely indefensible! Move the hangars up north for Pete's sake!

I'll have you know that I've successfully defended the starting base layout quite a number of times. The trick is to rush the hangars/access lift as fast as possible, before they have a chance to spread out and hide in all the little rooms. Of course, there's always the danger of blaster bombs...

Cool. If I get to become Captain (By shooting Frank in the back for example. :p) Can I get the Rear Commander stuff where I sit in the transport toying with Blaster Launcher and Psi-amps?

Yeah, but I can't guarantee your guy won't get a 5 or something for Psi Strength. Also, if you want an idea of troop arrangement in the Skyranger, check the X-COM roster. Ol' Stinky and Foley are usually first out, while Mal Devious and Akam are all the way in the back.

United Forenia Forever!

Hugehead

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: September 11, 2010, 02:22:57 pm »

TFTD= UFO Defence underwater with a messed up tech tree and a harder dificulty, or so I'm told.
We're Bay12er's. If there is a bug, we will find it, exploit it, and make a recursive statue out of it. Just look up Planepacked.
When a dwarf enters a martial trance, they become Jedi. Short, drunken Jedi.

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: September 11, 2010, 07:39:27 pm »

Sweet, I'm the first XCOM operative to survive a plasma blast! I totally get armor now, right?  ::)

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
The Artist Formerly Known as Barbarossa TSG

warhammer651

• Bay Watcher
  • [prefstring: Attack_Attack_Attack]
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: September 11, 2010, 10:18:15 pm »

Sweet, I'm the first XCOM operative to survive a plasma blast! I totally get armor now, right?  ::)
Well, you did prove that you didn't need it.
Tell me your mother isn't a Great Old One, please.

Archangel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: September 12, 2010, 03:35:38 am »

Name: Naomh O'Driscoll
Age/Sex/Race: Late 20s/female/Caucasian
Bio: A proud Irish Australian, Naomh has served in the Australian SAS for several years, during which time assigned to several top secret research projects despite being a little bit reckless and thus having a slightly rocky record. She is a nice, kind, friendly person underneath her violent and scarred exterior. She is fearless, ambidextrous and, despite what you might think, very patient. She was transferred to X-COM because she pissed off a superior. By rigging his toilet to blow up as soon as he sat on it.
Preferred Weapons: Best available rifle or a pair of the best available pistols (Whichever you need more), and grenades and a high explosive
There's about 25 of the fuckers and the three sarge killed were at point blank range - it's got to be zombies or a bunch of really dumb terrorists with knives.
My full sig

Untouchable

• Bay Watcher
  • Gary Busey Smile Time Variety Hour
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: September 12, 2010, 09:12:13 am »

Since I have Azzuros blessing for this, here is a little flavor thing that I whipped up earlier.

Log Entry 1

Dr. Phillip Kramer

Welcome to Hell. That was the only thing that the Commander said to me as I shipped into the Evening Star base. I was previously a physicist before being contacted about an opportunity that I never would have believed could occur.

Aliens... little gray men from another planet that have come here for some unknown reason but decided to just start to butcher the populance. Christ, until last week I had just worked in a small lab. I've been assigned to the research team and now have the duty of making sure that any of the recovered materials will blow us all to hell and back. Still, I do not envy the field operatives or our doctors. Some of the soldiers had mounted cameras with them on the Berlin mission and it is just horrifying.
Ramirez had been shredded by the exploding Cyberdisc, just no chance of surviving. Our boys have been very lucky, that was the only mission that things went incredibly pear shaped so casualties have been minimal for the most part.

Hell, thy name is Evening Star.

Log End

Maldevious

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: September 14, 2010, 09:57:48 am »

Mal sits quietly polishing his rockets, waiting for the next mission. He whistles a lonely tune that echoes through the barracks.

Jake

• Bay Watcher
  • Remember Boatmurdered!
    • View Profile
    • My Web Fiction
« Reply #129 on: September 15, 2010, 07:47:46 pm »

Never managed to get in one one of these early enough before, so what the hell.
Name: Jake Grey
Race: Caucasian
Bio: British expat living in the United States. Officially part of XCOM's in-house IT staff, but was asked to cover 'the occasional callout job' as well on account of some budget cutbacks. Bitterly regrets agreeing to this without asking too many questions, finds the company of his teammates extremely trying, and gloomily suspects he was offered this gig because KIAs aren't entitled to severance pay.
Preferred weapon: Stun rod/any pistol combo and a couple of grenades.
Never used Dwarf Therapist, mods or tilesets in all the years I've been playing.
I think Toady's confusing interface better simulates the experience of a bunch of disorganised drunken dwarves running a fort.

Black Powder Firearms - Superior firepower, realistic manufacturing and rocket launchers!

USEC_OFFICER

• Bay Watcher
  • Pulls the strings and makes them ring.
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: September 15, 2010, 07:55:38 pm »

So, is there going to be an update soon?

zchris13

• Bay Watcher
  • YOU SPIN ME RIGHT ROUND~
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: September 15, 2010, 09:31:51 pm »

GO FOR THE LASER CANNON, MAN.
this sigtext was furiously out-of-date and has been jettisoned

Azzuro

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: September 16, 2010, 05:55:14 am »

So, is there going to be an update soon?

Next update on Saturday, I guess. I'm still busy with schoolwork.

To fill up this space, some questions:
1. Do you want me to format my updates differently? Eg. Words above pictures or spoiler tags on the whole thing, etc.
2. Playstyle. So far, I've been trying to play missions as safely as possible, keeping causalities to a minimum. Do you want me to play it more recklessly? Will probably result in more causalities/fatalities, though.

edit: Am currently clearing a Sectoid terror ship, hopefully with leader.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2010, 09:10:29 am by Azzuro »

United Forenia Forever!

zchris13

• Bay Watcher
  • YOU SPIN ME RIGHT ROUND~
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: September 17, 2010, 10:45:23 am »

Just play smart.  That's all. If you have to be reckless, be reckless. If you have to be careful, be careful.  Helpful hint: Don't run around a corner, then see 3 aliens, then try to kill all of them. It doesn't work. Just run back around the corner, and get backup.
this sigtext was furiously out-of-date and has been jettisoned

Maldevious

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: September 17, 2010, 11:08:52 am »

I agree. Just go with the flow, and the consequences will be the consequences.
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 38