Plasma Weapons
- 14 (35.9%)
Stun Bomb/Small Launcher
- 9 (23.1%)
Grav Shield
- 13 (33.3%)

Total Members Voted: 39

Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 38

Author Topic: Let's Play XCOM: UFO Defense!  (Read 79975 times)

OmnipotentGrue

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Let's Play XCOM: UFO Defense!
« Reply #165 on: September 20, 2010, 09:03:51 am »

Oh man, HWP Laser weapons.

Untouchable

• Bay Watcher
  • Gary Busey Smile Time Variety Hour
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: September 20, 2010, 10:45:02 am »

Oh man, HWP Laser weapons.

The HWP Laser Cannon is a thing of beauty. I don't think that it's possible to run out of ammo with it during a mission.

Phantom

• Bay Watcher
  • Asiatic Asian
    • View Profile
« Reply #167 on: September 20, 2010, 04:30:55 pm »

Actually all Laser weapons have infinite ammo.

Also, should you build a base in the US, I suggest Hawaii and build a Hyper Wave there, so you could detect Aliens roughly on the West Coast and parts of China and shit.

Untouchable

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: September 20, 2010, 07:53:44 pm »

Actually all Laser weapons have infinite ammo.

I know that but the Laser Tank has comparable power to the Plasma Hovertank.

Jake

• Bay Watcher
  • Remember Boatmurdered!
    • View Profile
    • My Web Fiction
« Reply #169 on: September 20, 2010, 09:01:40 pm »

Quick tip-off: If you'd established your base further west (I normally site mine somewhere in the Alps), you'd be picking up a large contact maintaining a straight course for somewhere near Greenland every 24 hours.
It's a supply run for a forward base.
Never used Dwarf Therapist, mods or tilesets in all the years I've been playing.
I think Toady's confusing interface better simulates the experience of a bunch of disorganised drunken dwarves running a fort.

Black Powder Firearms - Superior firepower, realistic manufacturing and rocket launchers!

Urist McOverlord

• Bay Watcher
  • [Evil_Genius]
    • View Profile
« Reply #170 on: September 21, 2010, 01:07:16 am »

Quick tip-off: If you'd established your base further west (I normally site mine somewhere in the Alps), you'd be picking up a large contact maintaining a straight course for somewhere near Greenland every 24 hours.
It's a supply run for a forward base.

Odds are he'll start seeing supply missions eventually anyways. They'll go to wherever an alien base is. Randomly placed by aptly named "alien base" missions.

Anyways, I'd actually argue for wherever you can get the best coverage for the western hemisphere. Probably texas-ey area. Although I'd also try to have enough for an intercept base, rather than just a listening post.
Magma: The cause of, and solution to, all life's problems.

If it moves, it wants to kill you. It may not try to, but it wants to.

Jake

• Bay Watcher
  • Remember Boatmurdered!
    • View Profile
    • My Web Fiction
« Reply #171 on: September 21, 2010, 08:39:35 am »

True, but interceptors can cover a much wider area than listening posts, even before back-engineered alien craft come into play. There's no such thing as too much advance warning either, especially if it means you can choose to shoot that terror-ship full of Snakemen down over the sea when you've just taken a pasting.

Speaking of which, as soon as money permits it'd be a good idea to keep two full crews per transport and rotate them. You'll never have to launch short-handed or with your whole crew made up of rookies and you'll always have the manpower to respond to a base raid. A spare HWP or two isn't a bad idea either.
Never used Dwarf Therapist, mods or tilesets in all the years I've been playing.
I think Toady's confusing interface better simulates the experience of a bunch of disorganised drunken dwarves running a fort.

Black Powder Firearms - Superior firepower, realistic manufacturing and rocket launchers!

Untouchable

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: September 21, 2010, 09:58:28 am »

Entry Four

Dr. Phillip Kramer

The fuel that we have recovered from the UFOs is very strange. Element 115 or Elerium-115 generates anti-matter power when bombarded with certain particles and can create gravity waves as well as possessing other properties that we are yet to discover. However, none of the scientists have seen anything like it on Earth and it seems like it only occurs naturally on other planets.

We also have an extremely limited amount of Elerium and there poses some problems in obtaining it. We didn't recover any from the UFO shot down so it may be highly volatile which means we can only obtain it from grounded UFOs or possibly an Alien base.

Perhaps with additional time, we'll be able to delve even further into our research.

End Entry

P.S: The problems with some of the staff seem to have ended. I'm going to proceed under the assumption that the Alien Entertainment modules cause a hallucinogenic effect.

« Last Edit: September 21, 2010, 10:50:53 am by Untouchable »

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #173 on: September 21, 2010, 10:39:53 am »

Entry Four

We also have an extremely limited amount of Elerium and there poses some problems in obtaining it. We didn't recover any from the UFO shot down so it may be highly violate which means we can only obtain it from grounded UFOs or possibly an Alien base.

I think you mean volatile. :p

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Untouchable

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #174 on: September 21, 2010, 10:51:28 am »

Entry Four

We also have an extremely limited amount of Elerium and there poses some problems in obtaining it. We didn't recover any from the UFO shot down so it may be highly violate which means we can only obtain it from grounded UFOs or possibly an Alien base.

I think you mean volatile. :p

Ah cheers for pointing that out. Way too late over here in Australia to spell anything at all.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #175 on: September 21, 2010, 11:54:55 am »

Actually, I reacted because violate is awfully close "violé", the french word for "raped" (I'm a french-speaker). Raping bit of radioactive fuel is just too much for me.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Azzuro

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #176 on: September 26, 2010, 12:53:26 am »

Okay guys, I've kinda forgotten about this for a while, but I'll try to have an update up as soon as possible. After selling off almost all alien equipment, we have about three and a half million in the bank, which should be enough to start an intercept/recovery base with the bare minimums. Where should we put it? The US is our largest funder, and also has the highest alien activity behind Europe. However, China+Japan+India combined are worth more, and the Southeast Asian region is also prone to alien activity.

True, but interceptors can cover a much wider area than listening posts, even before back-engineered alien craft come into play. There's no such thing as too much advance warning either, especially if it means you can choose to shoot that terror-ship full of Snakemen down over the sea when you've just taken a pasting.

Speaking of which, as soon as money permits it'd be a good idea to keep two full crews per transport and rotate them. You'll never have to launch short-handed or with your whole crew made up of rookies and you'll always have the manpower to respond to a base raid. A spare HWP or two isn't a bad idea either.

I'm not too sure whether you're suggesting stationing Interceptors as airborne radars, but if you are, Skyrangers would work much better, because of their increased fuel capacity. Also, I would have two full crews, but I need more people to sign up.

United Forenia Forever!

Phantom

• Bay Watcher
  • Asiatic Asian
    • View Profile
« Reply #177 on: September 26, 2010, 01:08:44 am »

Hrm, either build the base in the Philippines or the USA's Midwest.

Azzuro

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #178 on: September 26, 2010, 01:30:13 am »

Spoiler: Update 9 (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: December 09, 2010, 10:30:43 am by Azzuro »

United Forenia Forever!

Phantom

• Bay Watcher
  • Asiatic Asian
    • View Profile
« Reply #179 on: September 26, 2010, 01:38:35 am »

*Phantom walks in the room.*
"Hey that guy owed me 75 bucks. Oh well, I demand that everyone is to be disarmed before we start interrogations!"
*Immediately walks out, passing a non-hostile headcrab and vortigaunt.*

Also, one question.
How the hell did you do that update? Base defense? I'm not that adept with X-Com.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2010, 01:40:29 am by Phantom »
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 38