Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: enemies in the caverns  (Read 1127 times)

twwolfe

• Bay Watcher
  • Likes ponies for their cuteness
    • View Profile
enemies in the caverns
« on: September 06, 2010, 02:18:38 am »

Just had a squad of Goblins come at me through the caverns during a siege.  Does this happen often? should i heavily trap and fortify my cavern entrances?
There are dwarves that are nothing but useless sacrifices - Miners are not one of them.

Jayce

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: enemies in the caverns
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2010, 02:47:47 am »

Hmm thats a first ive heard,ive seen traders leave through caverns,i always remove up ramps from the entrances into my cavern to stop wildlife.

Shagomir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2010, 04:54:25 am »

Do you have a cave on your map that links up with the cavern system? I can see goblins pathing through that to your unprotected underbelly, especially if they've already seen all your traps.

Idieally, you should have fortified entrances anywhere you allow access to your fort, as you can get FBs, GCSs, and other nasties in the underground.
Take a look at my fancy North America Worldgen!

Zaik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2010, 05:58:25 am »

This has happened to me a few times, the best thing i've come up with is to dig a hallway around all the borders of each cavern, basically connecting them all, build one ramp as close to a border as possible, then build a ramp and bridge a bit further away. Then wall the whole damn thing off with fortifications so that it's like one huge hallway that nothing can get in or out of on foot. Flying and climbing enemies will ignore it, however goblins and such will just sit by the fortifications waiting for a marksdwarf to come by and kill them.

btw make sure the bridge is build over it so you can send in melee military if you get a material based FB, a legendary +5 marksdwarf using masterwork steel arrows can't kill them, outside of maybe a .00001% chance shot i never saw. You can use as lever to leave it retracted by default, then extend it only when needed.

The good news is once you do this all your caverns are basically huge muddy tree farms.
[MILL_CHILD:ONLY_IF_GOOD_REASON]

jei

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2010, 12:41:14 pm »

Just had a squad of Goblins come at me through the caverns during a siege.  Does this happen often? should i heavily trap and fortify my cavern entrances?
I would do so to all the entrances and keep them to a minimum, with preferably many methods of blocking and cutting them off from the rest of the world.

One of my favorite entrances was behind a waterfall that also had a water intake underwater to let water in for fishing into the fort. The first couple of caravans (and immigration waves) jumped the waterfall and dived into the sewer system to get into my trade depot. Of course they had nothing to trade after pulling such stunts as all their stuff was left in the river. Later the waterfall and underwater passage managed nicely to drown a few ambushers though so I still consider it my coolest entrance.

I recommend using water near entrances. Also flooding traps with water may empty them of some of the crap and cut down on the maintenance visits needed.
Engraved on the monitor is an exceptionally designed image of FPS in Dwarf Fortress and it's multicore support by Toady. Toady is raising the multicore. The artwork relates to the masterful multicore support by Toady for the Dwarf Fortress in midwinter of 2010. Toady is surrounded by dwarves. The dwarves are rejoicing.

jei

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2010, 12:44:30 pm »

a legendary +5 marksdwarf using masterwork steel arrows can't kill them,

Marksdwarves seem to be totally useless in 2010. Goblin crossbowmen on the other hand...

Engraved on the monitor is an exceptionally designed image of FPS in Dwarf Fortress and it's multicore support by Toady. Toady is raising the multicore. The artwork relates to the masterful multicore support by Toady for the Dwarf Fortress in midwinter of 2010. Toady is surrounded by dwarves. The dwarves are rejoicing.

Psychobones

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2010, 12:52:55 pm »

a legendary +5 marksdwarf using masterwork steel arrows can't kill them,

Marksdwarves seem to be totally useless in 2010. Goblin crossbowmen on the other hand...

They've been rebroken in .12