Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Simple Fire Trap  (Read 3011 times)

AMRIV

• Bay Watcher
  • [MISCHIEVIOUS]
    • View Profile
Simple Fire Trap
« on: September 06, 2010, 12:26:41 am »

So I was taking a wiki walk and according to the Fire entry  "... there is currently no way to safely start (and then control) a fire.". But I've built a fire trap before and it's pretty safe if you are careful. If you pour magma on a wooden floor the whole thing catches fire pretty quick. This is probably because the component item catches fire and spreads the !! condition to the rest of the floor, and then throughout any grass it "happens" to be near. As long as you keep your dwarfs out of the burn area it's safe, if you don't... well that's half of what Dwarf Fortress is all about.

The fort below has an example of one, note the tell tale signs of burnination. it's from the 40d days, but it should still work.

http://mkv25.net/dfma/map-9509-snakeshelms

Edit: I just remembered, it's not floors that I used, but roads, which is an important distinction.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2010, 02:51:45 pm by AMRIV »

Nibble

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Simple Fire Trap
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2010, 05:15:12 am »

At least in DF2010, all constructions are indestructible; so I don't think you can set a constructed wooden floor on fire. A wood stockpile would probably work, though.

Tommy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2010, 06:34:53 am »

I'm not sure whether or not you can ignite a wooden floor now, but you should be able to ignite floor grates made of such materials.  The wiki suggests using lignite or graphite grates, as their lack of a melting point means they'll ignite but never deconstruct as a result, creating a permanent flame.
HAHAHA YES MY EXPIDITION LEADER IS PARTYING WITH GHOSTS THIS IS THE BEST UPDATE EVER
Dwarf Fortress in a nutshell. It includes dead things, parties, and getting really excited over updates.

Bronimin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2010, 10:32:30 am »

-
« Last Edit: June 07, 2018, 04:19:37 pm by Bronimin »

Tommy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2010, 10:36:09 am »

Which is why you have a short entrance into your fort with pet-impassable doors at either end and fire on the ground, and a longer, more twisting route for safe entry.  Set the short route to heavily restricted, and your dwarfs will only use the long route, whereas invaders will ignore the routing designations and run straight through the flames.
HAHAHA YES MY EXPIDITION LEADER IS PARTYING WITH GHOSTS THIS IS THE BEST UPDATE EVER
Dwarf Fortress in a nutshell. It includes dead things, parties, and getting really excited over updates.

Grimlocke

• Bay Watcher
  • *kobold noises*
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2010, 12:12:11 pm »

Which is why you have a short entrance into your fort with pet-impassable doors at either end and fire on the ground, and a longer, more twisting route for safe entry.  Set the short route to heavily restricted, and your dwarfs will only use the long route, whereas invaders will ignore the routing designations and run straight through the flames.
Them, and pets. Great way to solve the caplosion but having dozens of !!cats!! running around might cause problems.
I make Grimlocke's History & Realism Mods. Its got poleaxes, sturdy joints and bloomeries. Now compatible with DF Revised!

Brandon816

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2010, 12:21:51 pm »

Maybe have a waterfall just past the fire trap? That way if dwarves, pets, etc try to spread the fire, it will only go outside.

puke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2010, 12:44:31 pm »

whereas invaders will ignore the routing designations and run straight through the flames.

if by invaders you mean trade caravans then yes.  yes, they will.

I do have to give this a try, though.  maybe some lignite grates or statues under one of those "mist generators" loaded with magma.

I had no idea that it would perpetually burn.  I have made fountain lined interance halls, now I can add torches to the mix!  I wonder if a buring statue counts as art defacement...

AMRIV

• Bay Watcher
  • [MISCHIEVIOUS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2010, 12:51:06 pm »

only its not safe, because your dorfs will, at any chance they are given, spread the fire all over your fortress.
Well that's why you don't give them that chance, if you look you'll notice I have a 2 drawbridge airlock. Usually at least one is closed, but I must have been planning to do something outside when the save was made.

Tommy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2010, 01:36:52 pm »

whereas invaders will ignore the routing designations and run straight through the flames.

if by invaders you mean trade caravans then yes.  yes, they will.

I do have to give this a try, though.  maybe some lignite grates or statues under one of those "mist generators" loaded with magma.

I had no idea that it would perpetually burn.  I have made fountain lined interance halls, now I can add torches to the mix!  I wonder if a buring statue counts as art defacement...
Trade?  Sounds distinctly elven to me.

Shoku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 06, 2010, 01:52:50 pm »

If they burn without deconstructing does this mean they stay attached to any levers and pressure plates?
Please get involved with my making worlds thread.

sonerohi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 06, 2010, 02:05:19 pm »

Everyone is so swift to forget the lignite bin trick.
I picked up the stone and carved my name into the wind.

lanceleoghauni

• Bay Watcher
  • Purveyor of Ridiculous machinery.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 06, 2010, 02:16:01 pm »

I was surprised no one mentioned it as well.
"Mayor, the Nobles are complaining again!"

*Mayor facepalms*

"pull the lever of magmatic happiness"

Shoku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 06, 2010, 04:03:00 pm »

I forget, what makes it superior to burning grates? That you can fling it in random directions with bridges?
Please get involved with my making worlds thread.

AMRIV

• Bay Watcher
  • [MISCHIEVIOUS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 06, 2010, 04:59:14 pm »

The way this trap is set up, you can set the surrounding grassland on fire at the pull of a lever and only when you pull the lever. So it essentially burns everything outside the fortress.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2010, 05:01:19 pm by AMRIV »
Pages: [1] 2