Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: How do I gather limestone?(and other things)  (Read 652 times)

bbad89

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
How do I gather limestone?(and other things)
« on: September 05, 2010, 10:50:10 pm »

I have a crapload in my mountain, but I have no idea how to gather it. Also, after you learn how to visualize the world with the symbols, it seems VERY cool. Also, on a higher lvl of the mountain that I dont have my fortress main floor in, there are lots of trees, how do I get up there? Do I build stairs in the main lvl of the fort leading up, then go out from there to collect?

kilakan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: How do I gather limestone?(and other things)
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2010, 11:25:39 pm »

This is rather easy, limestone (and ores, gems, ect.) are mined, just like your fort.  There should be ramps going all the way up the mountain, so just designate the trees to be cut and a dwarf with the wood cutting labor on and an axe should run off happily.
Nom nom nom

FleshForge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2010, 12:02:35 am »

If you want to consolidate it, you can define a stone stockpile (p-s, draw rectangle) and then customize the settings so that it only accepts limestone.  Be aware this will make EVERYONE with the stone hauling labor enabled (which is everyone, by default) go and grab limestone, and they won't stop until that stockpile is full, so if you do this, you might also want to be able to have them stop doing that: o-s (orders, toggle stone/mineral hauling).  You can also micromanage everyone's hauling skill but there may be times you just want everyone to stop loading up stone stockpiles.

I do this for metal ores and coal also.  Same thing with stockpiles is true for wood,and o-w toggles wood collection.

Shagomir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2010, 01:47:23 am »

I do this for metal ores and coal also.  Same thing with stockpiles is true for wood,and o-w toggles wood collection.

This, in massive 11x11 stockpiles adjacent/above/below the associated workshops, for efficiency (all of my workrooms are 11x11, makes for one nice large stockpile, or 4 5x5 stockpiles, or 9 3x3 stockpiles or workshops, and is easy to designate quickly).
Take a look at my fancy North America Worldgen!

Proteus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2010, 03:01:15 am »

Just keep in mind that the probability of a mined out tile generating a stone/lump of ore is dependent on the mining skill of your dwarf...
unskilled miners will only rarely produce a stone/ore from mining out a tile, while legendary miners will always produce a stone/ore from it.
Which is, why, especially at the beginning, it might be better to take care that tiles with, for example, precious gemstones, are mined out by your most experienced miner/s
(your dwarves learn very fast however...if you use some unskilled dwarves as miners in your first year, they will usually be adequate, competent ore even better after one year of digging)

Shagomir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2010, 03:14:20 am »

Just keep in mind that the probability of a mined out tile generating a stone/lump of ore is dependent on the mining skill of your dwarf...
unskilled miners will only rarely produce a stone/ore from mining out a tile, while legendary miners will always produce a stone/ore from it.
Which is, why, especially at the beginning, it might be better to take care that tiles with, for example, precious gemstones, are mined out by your most experienced miner/s
(your dwarves learn very fast however...if you use some unskilled dwarves as miners in your first year, they will usually be adequate, competent ore even better after one year of digging)

I usually build an "upper fort" in the soil layers, that I eventually abandon for deeper digs. This has the benefit of training my miners super fast, since they learn best digging in dirt, and you don't have to worry about losing rocks.

Also, you can leave your farms up in the dirt layer where surface water is more accesible. Eventually that all moves down into the caverns, though. I'll dig a little deeper for building material and ores, but only after clearing out a ton of dirt.
Take a look at my fancy North America Worldgen!