Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Vertical or horizontal fortress?  (Read 1583 times)

Aramco

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Vertical or horizontal fortress?
« Reply #15 on: September 06, 2010, 04:48:34 pm »

Vertical, but with a central ramp instead of a staircase. Easier on the FPS that way I hear. Mind you, by "Vertical" I mean my bedrooms are between the 2nd and 3rd caverns, my magma workshops are right at the magma sea and my trade depot is near the surface alongside my farms.

That seems like it would take ages and ages to walk from the top of your fortress to the bottom. Instead of stairs, they have to walk even further just to get to the next ramp down?
Actually it takes less time compared to staircases. Stairs take an extra step compared to ramps. Plus, while the dwarf-travel-efficiency will be mostly the same, the FPS efficiency will be quite different. As you make mature forts, you will start to value FPS efficiency more than dwarf efficiency.

The best way is to, instead of designating your fort to be dug out, you designate it to be all up-down staircases. That way, everyone can get anywhere without having to go find stairs.
This is FPS suicide.

Armok laughs at your need for high FPS.
Or maybe there's a god who's just completely insane and sends you to Detroit, Michigan in a new body if you ever utter the name "Pat Sajak".

Dekon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 06, 2010, 06:34:08 pm »

Vertical, but with a central ramp instead of a staircase. Easier on the FPS that way I hear. Mind you, by "Vertical" I mean my bedrooms are between the 2nd and 3rd caverns, my magma workshops are right at the magma sea and my trade depot is near the surface alongside my farms.

That seems like it would take ages and ages to walk from the top of your fortress to the bottom. Instead of stairs, they have to walk even further just to get to the next ramp down?
Actually it takes less time compared to staircases. Stairs take an extra step compared to ramps. Plus, while the dwarf-travel-efficiency will be mostly the same, the FPS efficiency will be quite different. As you make mature forts, you will start to value FPS efficiency more than dwarf efficiency.

The best way is to, instead of designating your fort to be dug out, you designate it to be all up-down staircases. That way, everyone can get anywhere without having to go find stairs.
This is FPS suicide.

Armok laughs at your attempt to understand his opinion on FPS

KrazyDocK

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 06, 2010, 06:34:25 pm »

Is it actually confirmed that ramps (rather than a central staircase) actually improve FPS in a meaningful way?  Has anyone done the dwarven science?  Or at least have some anecdotes/impressions of the difference?

From my personal experience, I've used both, and I can't say I've noticed definitively, but my impression is that the ramps probably help a bit.

kilakan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 06, 2010, 06:48:08 pm »

is does help, because while on a ramp you can only go up or down, and a limited number of ways once up or down, as opposed to stairs which have far more possible ways, and thus more path finding usage.
Nom nom nom

Aramco

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 06, 2010, 07:00:31 pm »

This is FPS suicide.

Armok laughs at your attempt to understand his opinion on FPS

You fail to understand that I am the physical embodiment of Armok.
Or maybe there's a god who's just completely insane and sends you to Detroit, Michigan in a new body if you ever utter the name "Pat Sajak".
Pages: 1 [2]