Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Vertical or horizontal fortress?  (Read 1585 times)

Tokeli

• Bay Watcher
  • Oh wow, mew
    • View Profile
Vertical or horizontal fortress?
« on: September 05, 2010, 08:42:17 pm »

I am absolutely obsessed with efficiency in my fortress, and the speed of my dwarves. Every fortress I've made so far has been off a central staircase with one thing per level (stockpiles, workshops, quarters, hospital, etc), and those things are always centered on the staircase.

Which one does everyone use? Horizontal seems more visually pleasing, but my mind just rebels at it.

Aramco

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Vertical or horizontal fortress?
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2010, 09:01:14 pm »

Vertical is slightly better, simply because stepping down 2 staircases is faster than walking 60 tiles to somewhere.
Or maybe there's a god who's just completely insane and sends you to Detroit, Michigan in a new body if you ever utter the name "Pat Sajak".

Particleman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2010, 10:05:09 pm »

Vertical is more efficient.

Untelligent

• Bay Watcher
  • I eat flesh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2010, 10:16:21 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Vertical.

That's from 40d, I'm working toward another one in the current version.
The World Without Knifebear — A much safer world indeed.
regardless, the slime shooter will be completed, come hell or high water, which are both entirely plausible setbacks at this point.

Shoku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2010, 10:22:23 pm »

I've been shifting to a more horizontal design to make myself use space in more interesting ways. Plus there are a lot of things that don't really matter efficiency-wise. I really don't need the bedrooms within 50 steps of the depot and the farms can be even further from the forges.

Really just so long as I have the storage relevant to a particular job pretty close to that job things get done about as fast as in more compact forts, but without so many dwarves having to crawl over each other to do it.
Please get involved with my making worlds thread.

bbad89

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2010, 11:20:33 pm »

Vertical.

Where'd you get that picture?

kilakan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2010, 11:24:02 pm »

I use a combination, my fortress usualy end up square, because while i want the efficentcy of the vertical, I still want all my bedrooms and the dining room on one level, without being crammed together.
Nom nom nom

timtek

• Bay Watcher
  • I <3 Tacos
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2010, 11:34:48 pm »

I tend to build horizontal multi zlevel fortress's. They aren't as efficient but I feel like I have more room to be creative with the design of rooms and stuff. That's probably why my fortress's don't last long, but I don't mind.
My fortress brings all the dorfs to mah yard...

Leonidas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2010, 01:15:56 am »

I usually go vertical, with a cube being the ideal.  But in my current fortress I got only two layers of stone before the first cavern, and FBs keep wanting to visit.  So things are kinda pancaked right now.

Note that verticality only improves efficiency if you have plenty of stairs.

pushy

• Bay Watcher
  • [MEANDERER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2010, 05:31:39 am »

Vertical.

Where'd you get that picture?
Visual Fortress, I'm guessing http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=39541.0
« Last Edit: September 06, 2010, 05:34:40 am by pushy »
Quote from: Tim Edwards, PC Gamer UK
There are three things I know about dwarves:
1. They've got beards. Even the women.
2. They're short. Especially the women.
3. They're Scottish.

Psieye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 06, 2010, 09:49:06 am »

Vertical, but with a central ramp instead of a staircase. Easier on the FPS that way I hear. Mind you, by "Vertical" I mean my bedrooms are between the 2nd and 3rd caverns, my magma workshops are right at the magma sea and my trade depot is near the surface alongside my farms.
Military Training EXP Analysis
Congrats, Psieye. This is the first time I've seen a derailed thread get put back on the rails.

Aramco

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 06, 2010, 09:51:11 am »

The best way is to, instead of designating your fort to be dug out, you designate it to be all up-down staircases. That way, everyone can get anywhere without having to go find stairs.
Or maybe there's a god who's just completely insane and sends you to Detroit, Michigan in a new body if you ever utter the name "Pat Sajak".

Tokeli

• Bay Watcher
  • Oh wow, mew
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 06, 2010, 02:42:59 pm »

Vertical, but with a central ramp instead of a staircase. Easier on the FPS that way I hear. Mind you, by "Vertical" I mean my bedrooms are between the 2nd and 3rd caverns, my magma workshops are right at the magma sea and my trade depot is near the surface alongside my farms.

That seems like it would take ages and ages to walk from the top of your fortress to the bottom. Instead of stairs, they have to walk even further just to get to the next ramp down?

Sir Finkus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 06, 2010, 03:17:37 pm »

The best way is to, instead of designating your fort to be dug out, you designate it to be all up-down staircases. That way, everyone can get anywhere without having to go find stairs.
I don't think you can build stuff or make stockpiles on staircases. 

Psieye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 06, 2010, 04:47:20 pm »

That seems like it would take ages and ages to walk from the top of your fortress to the bottom. Instead of stairs, they have to walk even further just to get to the next ramp down?
Actually it takes less time compared to staircases. Stairs take an extra step compared to ramps. Plus, while the dwarf-travel-efficiency will be mostly the same, the FPS efficiency will be quite different. As you make mature forts, you will start to value FPS efficiency more than dwarf efficiency.

This is FPS suicide. It's also suicide for any unconscious beings: they treat stairs as empty space.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2010, 04:48:57 pm by Psieye »
Military Training EXP Analysis
Congrats, Psieye. This is the first time I've seen a derailed thread get put back on the rails.
Pages: [1] 2