Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Removing Pressure  (Read 923 times)

Skelodwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Likes Mica for it's perfect cleavage.
    • View Profile
Removing Pressure
« on: September 05, 2010, 08:02:11 pm »

Well, I'm about to dig out a very large cistern, and as I have very little hands on practice with the fluid dynamics in this game, I figured I'd ask before I flooded my fort.

Will this remove the pressure from a 7-ZLayer drop?

Also, somewhat on topic (Floodgates)

Is it worth the time to make a lever-room that's locked off, only unlocking it (By lever, of course!), when you need to use one of your levers? I just don't want my plumbing to be drowned by an angsty dwarf.
I never really got that excited over Microcline... Oh wait, THAT blue stuff.

Kanddak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Removing Pressure
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2010, 08:07:33 pm »

Will this remove the pressure from a 7-ZLayer drop?
Yes. But you might want to put it right next to the cistern for faster filling.

Is it worth the time to make a lever-room that's locked off, only unlocking it (By lever, of course!), when you need to use one of your levers?
I doubt it. I went so far as to wall off a lever room one time, but that was for a self-destruct lever to fill the fortress with magma.
Normally I just use regular doors, and I guess I would lock them if an insane dwarf was on the loose in the vicinity, but I almost never have insane dwarves anyway.
Hydrodynamics Education - read this before being confused about fluid behaviors

The wiki is notoriously inaccurate on subjects at the cutting edge, frequently reflecting passing memes, folklore, or the word on the street instead of true dwarven science.

Skelodwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Likes Mica for it's perfect cleavage.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2010, 08:14:21 pm »

Stop taunting me with your signature >.>

And thanks for the tip about shifting it farther south, that is probably smart.

Wiki just said something about the depressurizer needing to be wider than the source, and since this is coming from a river, I dunno...

Thanks!
I never really got that excited over Microcline... Oh wait, THAT blue stuff.

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2010, 08:15:25 pm »

Yes that arrangement will work. However I'd recommend making it a 3 or 4 tile wide aqueduct to improve flow. With only 1 tile of water often times you run into flow problems.

Also be sure to pave the bottom as a road. You can use fancy marble blocks or something. This will prevent tower cap growth from clogging it.

Kanddak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2010, 08:20:26 pm »

Wiki just said something about the depressurizer needing to be wider than the source, and since this is coming from a river, I dunno...
That's not true. You can keep it one tile wide and be just fine.

However I'd recommend making it a 3 or 4 tile wide aqueduct to improve flow. With only 1 tile of water often times you run into flow problems.
This is horrible advice. Pressure pathfinding only needs a path one tile wide. All a wider aqueduct does is use a lot of water from the source to flood the huge aqueduct. If you have a low flow rate, it's because you failed to pressurize your intake, and water is only entering your system through horizontal flow.

Also be sure to pave the bottom as a road.
This is good advice, though.
Hydrodynamics Education - read this before being confused about fluid behaviors

The wiki is notoriously inaccurate on subjects at the cutting edge, frequently reflecting passing memes, folklore, or the word on the street instead of true dwarven science.

Khift

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2010, 09:00:28 pm »

Note that building constructed floors over top of it works as well to prevent mushroom growth and is, at least in my experienced, faster than roading the whole thing. It will cost more stone, but honestly, just use some junk stuff like microcline.

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2010, 09:42:26 pm »

Always build more than what you need. Once you flood it it is generally very difficult to drain. So build big in advance. This way when later on, 10 years later, you realize that you need more water, perhaps for an obsidian farm or other project, you do not have to dig a new water source.

So long as you run it through a diagonal to depressurize it you're perfectly safe, but its always nice to be able to tap into the water later on when you need more.

For example, in most of my forts I use a 3x3 vertical empty shaft tapping into an above ground water source. I dig the shaft very deep, all the way down to the first cavern. Then off of this shaft I can tap into it for water at different levels, such as for a well, for irrigation, or for traps. The reservoir is always there and can deliver as much water as I need, which means I do not need to go back to it try to dry it out to expand, nor do I need to dig a new one.