Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: What do I do with all my Lead?  (Read 3047 times)

Bognor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What do I do with all my Lead?
« Reply #15 on: September 05, 2010, 11:25:16 pm »

You can stud any non-lead furniture or trade good with lead at a forge.  It requires no fuel, does not increase an item's weight, trains metalcrafting, and will increase each item's value by at least 20 dwarfbucks. 

Hans Lemurson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 06, 2010, 01:20:09 am »

I'm training up a pair of metalcrafters making beautiful leaden toys for all the Elven children.

I hadn't thought about using the lead for construction though.  There's an idea.  Maybe I should make a lead drawbridge for my atom-smasher.

Does it matter whether you construct something out of bars or blocks?  I know raw stone gives rough constructions, but do bars give you anything different than blocks?
Foolprooof way to penetrate aquifers of unlimited depth.  (Make sure to import at least 10 stones for mechanisms)
Toughen Dwarves by dropping stuff on them.  (Nothing too heavy though, and make sure to wear armor.)
"Urist had a little lamb
whose feet tracked blighted soot.
And into every face he saw
his sooty foot he put."

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #17 on: September 06, 2010, 01:57:30 am »

Does it matter whether you construct something out of bars or blocks?  I know raw stone gives rough constructions, but do bars give you anything different than blocks?
It doesn't matter at all, except that some things can only take blocks or bars. For example, wells can only take blocks, not bars, as far as I know. Lead block wells are fun.

jstead

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 06, 2010, 02:11:11 am »

I just dig one tile in, build walls there with something of the right color, floor over the vein and move on.
IIRC, you can remove the floors and the vein will turn into layer stone, so you'll still be able to engrave it. A vein wall will still ruin your day, though.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #19 on: September 06, 2010, 04:12:28 am »

I just dig one tile in, build walls there with something of the right color, floor over the vein and move on.
IIRC, you can remove the floors and the vein will turn into layer stone, so you'll still be able to engrave it. A vein wall will still ruin your day, though.
I only engrave important areas anyway, and if I run across a vein in an area I wanted to engrave I either incorporate it into the design somehow or leave it and engrave the vein floor/wall for the higher value.

Aramco

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 06, 2010, 08:03:16 am »

I only engrave important areas anyway, and if I run across a vein in an area I wanted to engrave I either incorporate it into the design somehow or leave it and engrave the vein floor/wall for the higher value.

I just get mad at veis in my legendary bedrooms and stuff like that. If it's in the barracks or something, I couldn't care less.
Or maybe there's a god who's just completely insane and sends you to Detroit, Michigan in a new body if you ever utter the name "Pat Sajak".

cyks

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 06, 2010, 08:37:56 am »

I agree with blue emu.  Save wood and build cages and animal traps with lead as we do.

Dariush

• Bay Watcher
  • I don't think I !!am!!, therefore I !!am!! not
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 06, 2010, 09:50:51 am »

I usually use my lead to make barrels, since lead poisoning isn't in yet. Once it is? I dunno. Probably goblets to trade to elves, or cups, barrels, or forks if utensils are ever added.
Fix'd it for you  ;)

peregarrett

• Bay Watcher
  • Гномовержец Enjoyed throwing someone recently
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 07, 2010, 03:45:26 am »

Oh, i've got a brilliant idea how to utilize all the lead I've got.

I'll build a Zeppelin powered with volcano's heat! I guess it's crazy enough to be dwarfish.
Did you know that the Russian word for "sock" is "no sock"?
I just saw a guy with two broken legs push a minecart with a corpse in it. Yeah.

Moonshine Fox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 07, 2010, 04:00:06 am »

Uniform color is important. Sometimes I almost abandon when there is a vein in my smoothed walls.

Oh.

I've lost countless forts to veins.

I should have thought of that.
Me too :D I "argh!" everytime I hit a vein. These days, though, I just dig the vein out and wall up. I even clean out prescious gems found in the walls and then re-wall. Was a bit of a facepalm moment when I realized I could do that.

MarcAFK

• Bay Watcher
  • [INSANITY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 07, 2010, 07:21:47 am »

I always make lead barrels and goblets for the elves, even going so far as to request lead from the dwarves to increase my lead supply.
Pitchblende is also fun to make toys out of for the little elven children.
They're nearly as bad as badgers. Build a couple of anti-buzzard SAM sites marksdwarf towers and your fortress will look like Baghdad in 2003 from all the aerial bolt spam. You waste a lot of ammo and everything is covered in unslightly exploded buzzard bits and broken bolts.

Khift

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 07, 2010, 07:21:54 am »

An alternative solution to lead is not to smelt the galena straight but to mix it with copper ores to make billion. You would need to smelt all of your silver ores, but once you have you can freely utilize the galena in billion reactions. You'll get less metal in the end, but it'll be more valuable, and it won't be so heavy you can't use it for every day things like barrels and bins.

The net value of one galena or is 7 -- 2 for the lead, 5 for a 50% chance of 10 value silver. The net value of one copper ore is 2. 2 + 7 = 9, so smelted straight the two ores would produce 9 value worth of metal. One billion reaction produces two billion bars, worth 6 each, for 12 value worth of metal. It's a win/win.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2010, 07:25:06 am by Khift »

Hans Lemurson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 07, 2010, 07:31:00 am »

I'd been making electrum out of all of my non-pure silver ores, but then I just decided to smelt it all straight and make whatever alloys I need later.  Is billon good for anything besides just having a variety of metals on hand to satisfy moods and noble's cravings?
Foolprooof way to penetrate aquifers of unlimited depth.  (Make sure to import at least 10 stones for mechanisms)
Toughen Dwarves by dropping stuff on them.  (Nothing too heavy though, and make sure to wear armor.)
"Urist had a little lamb
whose feet tracked blighted soot.
And into every face he saw
his sooty foot he put."

Khift

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 07, 2010, 08:46:30 am »

I like billion because it adds value to your least valuable ore (copper) instead of taking value away from your most valuable ore (gold) like electrum does. In my current fort I'm going to make all my metal bins and barrels out of galena / tetrahedrite smelted into billion because it is very easy to mass produce and and is of significantly higher value than straight copper. I like to save my gold and keep it pure to really amp up the value of my dining halls, statuaries and noble houses (if necessary); no need to water it down into electrum.

Kav

• Bay Watcher
  • b-C-w
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 07, 2010, 11:50:16 am »

I love making lead cage goblin zoos personally.

I have a friend like that who must dig out all the sand walls and replace them with blocks and flooring.
I'm the only person that thinks a nice malachite, cinnabar, or kimberlite vein running through rooms is the coolest thing possible aren't I?
Pages: 1 [2] 3