Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: What do I do with all my Lead?  (Read 3046 times)

Hans Lemurson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
What do I do with all my Lead?
« on: September 05, 2010, 06:47:13 pm »

So I've found all these nice veins of galena which I've used as my source of silver, but this leaves me with a huge stockpile of this largely worthless metal.  I'd be inclined to make bins out of it, but that would just slow down the transport of goods.  I can't think of any practical use it might have in my fortress.

The best plan I've come up with so far is to make it all into Lead Toys and sell them in bulk to the Elves.
Foolprooof way to penetrate aquifers of unlimited depth.  (Make sure to import at least 10 stones for mechanisms)
Toughen Dwarves by dropping stuff on them.  (Nothing too heavy though, and make sure to wear armor.)
"Urist had a little lamb
whose feet tracked blighted soot.
And into every face he saw
his sooty foot he put."

Khift

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What do I do with all my Lead?
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2010, 06:48:31 pm »

I always make lead toys. Particularly when levelling up a metalcrafter. They are typically my fort's primary trade good.

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2010, 06:48:53 pm »

Make barrels.  Use them to store booze.  That way at least your dwarves will have an excuse for acting stupid.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2010, 06:51:06 pm »

I make bins and doors mostly out of my lead, or use it to stud other items for value increase.

EspritFort

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2010, 07:44:51 pm »

I make walls, doors and coffins.

Aramco

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2010, 07:46:50 pm »

Make barrels.  Use them to store booze.  That way at least your dwarves will have an excuse for acting stupid.

Poison is NOT good.

Unless you're playing Dwarf Fortress.
Or maybe there's a god who's just completely insane and sends you to Detroit, Michigan in a new body if you ever utter the name "Pat Sajak".

GaxkangtheUnbound

• Bay Watcher
  • To the skies!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2010, 07:53:30 pm »

I always make lead toys. Particularly when levelling up a metalcrafter. They are typically my fort's primary trade good.
Do I detect a massive recall?
I dunno.
But, if I ever get any lead crafts offered to me, I'll personally send my swordsdwarf to slice ye' up!
Proud of my heritage.
Prepare to lose your sanity.

Kanddak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2010, 08:13:47 pm »

My excess lead, copper and tin tend to become bins and barrels.
Hydrodynamics Education - read this before being confused about fluid behaviors

The wiki is notoriously inaccurate on subjects at the cutting edge, frequently reflecting passing memes, folklore, or the word on the street instead of true dwarven science.

JAFANZ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2010, 08:34:58 pm »

Construction.

Lead Blocks constructed into Walls, Floors, Ramps, Stairs, etc...

Why the hell not, as constructions the fact that it isn't Magma-safe becomes irrelevant, & if you've got huge amounts of it then at least everything you create out of it will follow a uniform colour scheme.

Aramco

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 05, 2010, 08:46:06 pm »

Uniform color is important. Sometimes I almost abandon when there is a vein in my smoothed walls.
Or maybe there's a god who's just completely insane and sends you to Detroit, Michigan in a new body if you ever utter the name "Pat Sajak".

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #10 on: September 05, 2010, 09:16:19 pm »

Uniform color is important. Sometimes I almost abandon when there is a vein in my smoothed walls.
I just dig one tile in, build walls there with something of the right color, floor over the vein and move on.

Aramco

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 05, 2010, 09:19:28 pm »

I just dig one tile in, build walls there with something of the right color, floor over the vein and move on.

Oh.

I've lost countless forts to veins.

I should have thought of that.

Particleman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 05, 2010, 10:03:15 pm »

I usually use my lead to make barrels, since lead poisoning isn't in yet. Once it is? I dunno. Probably goblets to trade to elves, or statues, bolts, or sling bullets if slings are ever added.

Aramco

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 05, 2010, 10:05:41 pm »

I usually use my lead to make barrels, since lead poisoning isn't in yet. Once it is? I dunno. Probably goblets to trade to elves, or statues, bolts, or sling bullets if slings are ever added.

Lead mugs for elves? I think so.

blue emu

• Bay Watcher
  • GroFAZ
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 05, 2010, 10:18:48 pm »

If your Fortress defense (or your Arena-of-Blood  entertainment) relies partly on cage-traps, it's often better to make your cages out of some worthless metal instead of from useful wood (which at least can be used to make Charcoal and Steel).
Never pet a burning dog.

Pages: [1] 2 3