Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: First Caravan No-show  (Read 430 times)

BrokenGolem

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
First Caravan No-show
« on: September 05, 2010, 05:11:19 pm »

For some reason, the first Dwarven caravan doesn't seem to turn up for me. I'm new to the game, so I haven't really managed to get very far, but I've played for an in-game year, Spring to Spring, several times and still no caravan, which kinda means that I can't survive too long afterwards.

I always construct my depot inside my Fortress, underground, with proper access to it; three-wide passageway, ramps instead of stairs, etc. I've appointed an appropriate broker, I've churned out some mugs and craft items, but still no caravan. Am I just not waiting long enough, or do I not have the proper prerequisites?

I've checked the wiki several times, Googled the problem and tried to look through the forums for a similar story with no luck, so I apologise if I'm duplicating an older post with an inane question.

Thanks in advance,

BG

Zsword

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: First Caravan No-show
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2010, 05:15:41 pm »

Can the Dwarven Civ reach you? You might of stuck yourself to solitude on accident.

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2010, 05:15:57 pm »

It's possible that all of the Dwarven civilizations were killed off during worldgen - for whatever reason, this does not prevent you from embarking, nor does it prevent you from getting several migrant waves during the first year, but that's all you'll get.
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

Aramco

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2010, 05:23:55 pm »

I usually don't get a caravan during the first year, but not that badly...
Or maybe there's a god who's just completely insane and sends you to Detroit, Michigan in a new body if you ever utter the name "Pat Sajak".

BrokenGolem

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2010, 05:37:31 pm »

I'm using a world that I generated with parameters- I cut the 1080 years down to 500 and decreased the map size- my computer tended to get a runtime error when I'd generate a world with default parameters, but that's unrelated- I don't know if that would influence it. I've tried at least ten different sites on the world map, so I don't think it's that the spots I choose are cut off.

I've had several migrant waves, so it could be that all of the Dwarven civilisations were destroyed, I'll try generating another world, perhaps one not quite so small this time.

Thanks for the speedy advice,

BG

Pakhawaj

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2010, 05:11:54 am »

Hi, I'm pretty new myself and I asked the same question. Apparently traders frequently don't appear in the first year, I didn't get my first trader until my second September almost, then I got another one a few months later. :)
If you're going through TinyPirate's tutorial, remember that it is a slightly older version. I believe there's a tutorial for the current version on YouTube.

BrokenGolem

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2010, 04:34:37 am »

I made a new world (with similar parameters to the first, my computer doesn't seem to like the default parameters) and I've been getting caravans in late Autumn of the first year every time, so it must have been that there were no Dwarven civilisations left.

Thanks again for the help,

BG