Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: It was an ittie bitsy tennie weenie  (Read 1777 times)

Psychobones

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
It was an ittie bitsy tennie weenie
« on: September 05, 2010, 12:56:23 pm »

60 z-level embark today!

So yea, I decided that I was going to make a fort specifically to give my adventurer cottoncandy weapons and armor. So I went about setting it all up, found an embark right next to some dwarves, and began checking stuff out. Since the whole purpose is to find special blue stuff, I turned on DFReveal to check the place out. What I found was kind of funny. Starting from the top 160 is all sky, until the first plot of land at 146, and everything being underground at 141. The caverns are found at 137, 128, and 123 respectively, and there's a magma pipe found at 118 that lasts for exactly 1 z-level before falling into the magma sea, which starts at 117. Cotton candy is found at 120, and the first opening to hell is found at 116, and the SMR layer being complete only at 110, and hell starting at 105, ending at 101. The map cannot go deeper than 101.

The only thing I changed was adding 200 volcanoes and a few more titans. Nothing else was changed during world gen. For my purposes, this makes things really easy though. :D

SkyRender

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Sky Render's Domain
Re: It was an ittie bitsy tennie weenie
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2010, 01:04:06 pm »

Sometimes you get lucky (or possibly unlucky) like that.  I've had embarks before that have had only about 25 or 30 cumulative Z-levels including the 15 levels above ground.  Only one cave that's 5 levels down and lasts for all of 5 levels itself, then the magma sea for 5 levels, then you-know-what.
Sanity is for the weak.

Fayceless

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2010, 04:12:43 pm »

Really? I usually get 60 z-Level embarks.  I don't know what I do different.

Aramco

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2010, 09:14:15 pm »

Cottoncandy does mean a certain spoiler, correct?

Or maybe there's a god who's just completely insane and sends you to Detroit, Michigan in a new body if you ever utter the name "Pat Sajak".

Gnauga

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2010, 09:32:50 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Aramco

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2010, 09:35:52 pm »

I knew clowns, but I've never heard that other stuff.

Also, wouldn't saying spoiler nicknames like that warrant people who don't understand to look on the wiki?

I personally had it all spoiled for me, I knew long before I'd experienced it myself. :(
Or maybe there's a god who's just completely insane and sends you to Detroit, Michigan in a new body if you ever utter the name "Pat Sajak".

Gnauga

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2010, 09:45:15 pm »

Also, wouldn't saying spoiler nicknames like that warrant people who don't understand to look on the wiki?

I personally had it all spoiled for me, I knew long before I'd experienced it myself. :(
I don't think there's anyone on this forum who hasn't been spoiled yet. We just do it for fun and on principle.

Aramco

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2010, 09:54:08 pm »

Oh I see.

But then, you'd have no reason to look for it if you hadn't known about it, and if you weren't looking for it, you would probably never find it.

fivex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2010, 10:16:02 pm »

Oh I see.

But then, you'd have no reason to look for it if you hadn't known about it, and if you weren't looking for it, you would probably never find it.
There is a chance you might find cotton candy when you pierce the magma sea. Player goes and tries to get into vein from above, turns out the vein is hollow at the point he mines it, the clowns emerge and the player goes WHAT

Man of Paper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 05, 2010, 10:28:27 pm »

I thought that's what all of you were talking about, but I wasn't sure. It was spoiled for me before I even played (thanks to deciding to research Boatmurdered, Headshoots, and Syrupleaf), so I figured it was common knowledge.

To be honest though, my pants would have been brown the first time I went to the circus after gorging on cotton candy.

Psychobones

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 05, 2010, 11:59:21 pm »

I almost always get the full-blown 160 z-levels to play around with. It does painful things to my FPS. I had to actually make a world with only the topmost cave system so that I'd have less to work with and a better framerate.

It was nice, until I got a forgotten beast and cyclops at the same time at the end of the first year with a dwarf population of 40.

But now I'm rambling. Congrats on finding the world you were looking for, by the way.
I have always gotten the full 160 which is why this shocked me. I had no idea it happened often, I figured it was a bug in worldgen.

It actually wasn't the world I was "looking for" I just wanted to get some cotton candy. I had orginally planned on it being a large fort, with me having to dig 100+ layers through to get to it. Turns out I was able to make a full set of armor and weapons within the first year. So much for a long journey there.

SkyRender

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Sky Render's Domain
« Reply #11 on: September 06, 2010, 12:12:52 am »

You tend to find mini-strata like that when you embark on a mostly or completely flat site.  If there's any height at all to your embark, however, odds are good that you're going to be able to dig deep.
Sanity is for the weak.

Shagomir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 06, 2010, 01:13:29 am »

I had a Fun embark recently, where the Magma sea and associated circus was split, and it was closer to the surface on one part of the map. This led to some fun FPS issues when parts of the caverns collapsed into the magma sea near the "faultline", and there were some lingering issues with a subteranean lake and some exposed lava from the collapse. (I used dfhack to reveal it a few times after the collapse on embark)

Bottom Z-level of the map was basically like so:

Code: [Select]
0 | 0 | 0 | 0
0 | 0 | 0 | +5
0 | 0 | 0 | +5
0 | 0 | 0 | +5

and all of the features in that corner were shifted upwards roughly 5 z-levels.

Anyone else see anything like this? This was on a mountain embark with massive cliffs and brook in a 5 z-level canyon, so it might have had something to do with the extreme topography.
Take a look at my fancy North America Worldgen!

Eugenitor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 06, 2010, 03:21:01 am »

That is awesome. Tectonic plates actually do things like that. Were the... other bottom layers affected?

Vaftrudner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 06, 2010, 04:20:21 am »

I don't think there's anyone on this forum who hasn't been spoiled yet. We just do it for fun and on principle.
In 40d, I breached the fun stuff without having been spoiled, and it was completely awesome. I avoided all the spoiler stuff on the forum up until that point, and I'm very glad I did, and that was only last year. So I keep it up for others to have the chance, and use spoiler warnings instead of visible nicknames.
Pages: [1] 2