Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15

Author Topic: The human race needs a mega-project.  (Read 31451 times)

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The human race needs a mega-project.
« Reply #195 on: September 11, 2010, 09:46:04 pm »

Project: Build a techno-mountain. Over the next ten years, when people upgrade their computers, we take functional old models and plug them all in, then place them all into the pile. Computational power unparaleled.

I get a new computer whenever my old one gets too full of viruses. (I am the Tijuana whore of computer owners.) So If I tried to add my computer to the pile I bet it would all explode.

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #196 on: September 11, 2010, 09:57:43 pm »

I'd like to introduce you to a product I use regularly. It goes by the name Kaspersky Anti Virus.

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #197 on: September 11, 2010, 09:59:47 pm »

I'd like to introduce you to a product I use regularly. It goes by the name Kaspersky Anti Virus.
Finally. Someone else who uses the almighty power of Kaspersky. Ah, the things that scarlet V and black arrow have saved me from...
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #198 on: September 11, 2010, 10:01:25 pm »

Over the past month and a half, roughly, I've churned out over 50 new users. Between Kaspersky and Trend Micro (and a few Webroot,) Best Buy loves me.

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #199 on: September 11, 2010, 10:05:20 pm »

$80 man.

ECrownofFire

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Dragoness
    • View Profile
    • ECrownofFire
« Reply #200 on: September 11, 2010, 10:09:01 pm »

Obligatory XKCD? Yes.

Though I use Avast (it's free!) when I do run Windows, which is really only for a few games, so I usually just turn the AV/firewall stuff off. I've never gotten a virus on any computer I've used.

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #201 on: September 11, 2010, 10:10:21 pm »

I'm thinking about dual-booting when I upgrade the rig. Win7 for games and Linux. If I'm going to be a programmer some day, I might as well start acting like it.

ECrownofFire

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Dragoness
    • View Profile
    • ECrownofFire
« Reply #202 on: September 11, 2010, 10:23:53 pm »

I actually game a lot on Linux. The only games I don't play on Linux are the ones that don't work, which is really only a few on Steam. I think that those are AI War, Torchlight, Garry's Mod, and a few others that I can't remember. TF2 and the HL series work just fine though, so I'm fine. I'm even more happy that Valve is possibly coming out with a Linux version of Steam.

Really though, running Linux isn't about acting like a programmer or nerd, and it's not even about going against the norm, it's about running a computer that works, and about the awesome variety of stuff that you can use with it (sounds horribly ironic, but it's true).

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #203 on: September 11, 2010, 10:33:12 pm »

Apparently I was misinterpreted. I'm not talking about "acting like a programmer." I'm talking about using skills I already have, and living up to my potential. That's something I'm terrible at.

Also, I'm tired, and apparently not making any sense.

jmancube

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #204 on: September 12, 2010, 12:06:17 am »

For a mega project, we should build an incredibly advanced computer to calculate the meaning of life. That way we will finally have the answer to quite a difficult question, that is most likely impossible to solve. And come on, we definitely won't get some silly answer, say 42 or something :)

ECrownofFire

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Dragoness
    • View Profile
    • ECrownofFire
« Reply #205 on: September 12, 2010, 12:56:21 am »

How about we build the computer that tells us the question FIRST so that we don't have to go through with that nonsense about 42?

SolarShado

• Bay Watcher
  • Psi-Blade => Your Back
    • View Profile
« Reply #206 on: September 12, 2010, 12:57:07 am »

everyone knows the answer's really 23 anyway
Avid (rabid?) Linux user. Preferred flavor: Arch

Realmfighter

• Bay Watcher
  • Yeaah?
    • View Profile
« Reply #207 on: September 12, 2010, 01:14:04 am »

We must build a computer so powerful it can simulate the entire universe, and see if it can predict the future.
We may not be as brave as Gryffindor, as willing to get our hands dirty as Hufflepuff, or as devious as Slytherin, but there is nothing, nothing more dangerous than a little too much knowledge and a conscience that is open to debate

ECrownofFire

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Dragoness
    • View Profile
    • ECrownofFire
« Reply #208 on: September 12, 2010, 01:22:08 am »

We must build a computer so powerful it can simulate the entire universe, and see if it can predict the future.
This reminds me of an interesting story. Also, it's likely that we're in a computer simulation right now. The world is just plain crazy like that. Crazy theories are even more crazy when they could possibly be true.

Realmfighter

• Bay Watcher
  • Yeaah?
    • View Profile
« Reply #209 on: September 12, 2010, 01:53:49 am »

The most insane things are always the things that are most sane.

Also, that story is beautiful.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2010, 02:01:25 am by Realmfighter »
We may not be as brave as Gryffindor, as willing to get our hands dirty as Hufflepuff, or as devious as Slytherin, but there is nothing, nothing more dangerous than a little too much knowledge and a conscience that is open to debate
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15