Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 15

Author Topic: The human race needs a mega-project.  (Read 31520 times)

Phantom

• Bay Watcher
  • Asiatic Asian
    • View Profile
Re: The human race needs a mega-project.
« Reply #15 on: September 05, 2010, 02:20:30 pm »

Want a Mega Project? The full version of DF Release.

Virex

• Bay Watcher
  • Subjects interest attracted. Annalyses pending...
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 05, 2010, 02:23:09 pm »

How about colonization of the Moon and Mars. I said MEGA project, not piddly little tiny project like a tunnel between NA and EU or making a new continent.
You call colonizing mars a mega project? Tossing Jupiter into the effing sun, now that's a MEGA project.

Edit: Let's start by smashing Mars into Venus, just to see what happens. Then after we get rid of Jupiter, we can hijack Proxima Centauri and become a race of space-pirates, sailing the stars on their own hijacked sun.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2010, 02:25:17 pm by Virex »

kuro_suna

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Beeskee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 05, 2010, 02:25:42 pm »

We could use one of the gas giants as a space colonizer. Stuff a reactor into one end and push it around the galaxy. Put people on the moons, leaving the 'forward' side empty of course. WEB COMICS have suggested this FTW.
When a wizard is tired of looking for broken glass in his dinner, he is tired of life.

Virex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 05, 2010, 02:27:38 pm »

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Space_elevator

Japan is planning to build this on it's own. It's nowhere nearly MEGA enough for the entire human races.

Fake edit: Damnit now I need to find a way to photoshop kanima glasses on the word MEGA. Real edit: and a way to get to Japan once I finish my study.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2010, 02:41:15 pm by Virex »

Muz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 05, 2010, 03:14:27 pm »

Wait, you mean we don't have megaprojects already? Burj Khalifa definitely counts as one in my book. Three Gorges Dam if you want something useful and epic.
Disclaimer: Any sarcasm in my posts will not be mentioned as that would ruin the purpose. It is assumed that the reader is intelligent enough to tell the difference between what is sarcasm and what is not.

Virex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 05, 2010, 03:20:51 pm »

Those are megaprojects, but not MEGA projects, as in projects taking up the bulk of the worlds industrial and labour capacity.

Flaede

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware the Moon Creatures.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 05, 2010, 03:22:28 pm »

Wait, you mean we don't have megaprojects already? Burj Khalifa definitely counts as one in my book. Three Gorges Dam if you want something useful and epic.

Yeah, except it's going to fill up with silt.

I second the candle-rocket-in-Jupiter thing. Forget tossing it into our sun. Toss it into someone else's sun!

Most DF mega projects don't take the bulk of their civ's capacity either. Just your site. And a number of these projects definitely take well beyond one "site's worth" of capacity to build.
Toady typically doesn't do things by half measures.  As evidenced by turning "make hauling work better" into "implement mine carts with physics".
There are many issues with this statement.
[/quote]

Nilocy

• Bay Watcher
  • Queen of a Community.
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 05, 2010, 04:03:29 pm »

We won't really have a human mega project for some time, we really need to sort out national problems before we can become a global entity.

But yes, I agree that we need a megaprojects of sort. Maybe that'd be the catalyst for the beginning fo something better.

Keuran

• Bay Watcher
  • not made of spiders
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 05, 2010, 04:32:52 pm »

Those are megaprojects, but not MEGA projects, as in projects taking up the bulk of the worlds industrial and labour capacity.

We already have one of those. It's called keeping the first world consumer nations supplied with food and electronics.

Beeskee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 05, 2010, 05:33:34 pm »

If the unemployment anywhere in the world is greater than 0%, the projects aren't mega enough.
When a wizard is tired of looking for broken glass in his dinner, he is tired of life.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 05, 2010, 05:37:56 pm »

If the unemployment anywhere in the world is greater than 0% zero humans, the projects aren't halfway to being mega enough.
Much better.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Muz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 05, 2010, 06:04:18 pm »

You're assuming the labor is going to be useful. Most of the available labor is of insufficient quality to produce megaprojects. We'd also need communism to perform these megaprojects.
Disclaimer: Any sarcasm in my posts will not be mentioned as that would ruin the purpose. It is assumed that the reader is intelligent enough to tell the difference between what is sarcasm and what is not.

Josephus

• Bay Watcher
  • The Immortal Historian
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 05, 2010, 06:07:07 pm »

What about the Millenium Clock?

I dunno, it kinda just sits there.

You're assuming the labor is going to be useful. Most of the available labor is of insufficient quality to produce megaprojects. We'd also need communism to perform these megaprojects.

Blasphemy! Capitalism can do ANYTHING!
Solar Rangers: Suggestion Game in SPAAAAACE
RPG Interest Check Thread
i had the elves bring me two tigermen, although i forgot to let them out of the cage and they died : ( i was sad : (

sonerohi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 05, 2010, 06:28:46 pm »

Turn all of Russia into tropics. Turn Norway into a desert.
I picked up the stone and carved my name into the wind.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 15