Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Oh, I dug a lot.  (Read 1894 times)

Psieye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Oh, I dug a lot.
« Reply #15 on: September 05, 2010, 02:51:39 pm »

As far as I'm concerned, you haven't dug enough. I go straiiiiiiiiiight down beyond all 3 caverns on first spring of my fortresses. Mind, I immediately seal off any cavern breaches as soon as I find them. Lots of cavern resources can be tapped without any significant danger.
Military Training EXP Analysis
Congrats, Psieye. This is the first time I've seen a derailed thread get put back on the rails.

Shoku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 05, 2010, 02:59:51 pm »

The "downward passage" connects two layers of caves. Sometimes the ramps leading down from it just end in some unwalkable spot but it is supposed to connect like that.

It is not usually a very direct path though so I recommend sealing it after you've mapped it out, particularly to keep out flying enemies.

-

Everything in the "Constructions" menu does not count as a building. Bridges, workshops, and levers are the kinds of things that building destroyers will break.

-

Generally the caves are safe enough to explore. Just like the surface where some deer wander in and then eventually leave except in the caves they are lizards or something. Sometimes on the surface a giant eagle shows up and you have to stay away and sometimes in the caves an ogre shows up and you have to stay away, but usually it's just things like deer that won't normally try to kill you.

Toady tried to make it worth it for us to go down into the saves and look around. He didn't want us saying "oh, I found it but I don't have a military so I will seal it until later."

Now, the animal-men camps, those are dangerous. Try to never have dwarves run through them.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2010, 03:01:49 pm by Shoku »
Please get involved with my making worlds thread.

Flaede

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware the Moon Creatures.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 05, 2010, 03:17:55 pm »

Something no one has mentioned is that underground you can build walls right at the edge of the map. If you do this, then creatures can't spawn and try to kill you. It is sometimes just easier to wall of cavern choke-points, but often the edges of the cavern are the easiest to wall of.
Toady typically doesn't do things by half measures.  As evidenced by turning "make hauling work better" into "implement mine carts with physics".
There are many issues with this statement.
[/quote]

Davichococat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 16, 2010, 01:33:27 pm »

Something no one has mentioned is that underground you can build walls right at the edge of the map. If you do this, then creatures can't spawn and try to kill you. It is sometimes just easier to wall of cavern choke-points, but often the edges of the cavern are the easiest to wall of.
Awesome. Also, gasous titans can pass tough the buildings, right? What is the chance of i found a gasous titan O.O

Black Bellamy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 16, 2010, 03:53:01 pm »

It would be wise to wall it off or place a floor over your down stairs until you have some military.

Here's how I walled off part of the cavern for my underground farming plot.

I have a seed stockpile right in the middle and the red arrow shows ramps going up to the central staircase that leads to my main fort many z-levels above.

I think I have like a dozen FBs down there.   I could go fight them cause I have a good military now, but I'm having fun with the gobbos above for now.

mardukarn

• Bay Watcher
  • Urgescourges the Ungodly Fiend of Juices
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 16, 2010, 06:16:12 pm »

I tried this once and a troll spawned in right on top of, or sort in the wall. He was stuck there and couldn't attack, nor could my dwarves attack him, not even with crossbows. The rest of my dwarves refused to go near the wall ("Urist cancels job. Interrupted by troll.") so I couldn't even deconstruct the wall to get the troll out of there. The wall was very near the up/down stairs so about half my fortress was stuck down there refusing to go back up because they were afraid of the troll. That's the last time I tried to build walls on the edges of the map.

glopso

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 16, 2010, 09:59:03 pm »

I tried this once and a troll spawned in right on top of, or sort in the wall. He was stuck there and couldn't attack, nor could my dwarves attack him, not even with crossbows. The rest of my dwarves refused to go near the wall ("Urist cancels job. Interrupted by troll.") so I couldn't even deconstruct the wall to get the troll out of there. The wall was very near the up/down stairs so about half my fortress was stuck down there refusing to go back up because they were afraid of the troll. That's the last time I tried to build walls on the edges of the map.

Use fortifications so your marksdwarves can shoot the ones that get stuck. Free Training.

Psieye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 16, 2010, 10:05:40 pm »

You miss the point: you cannot shoot something INSIDE A WALL (not inbetween 2 walls, actually overlapping a tile with a wall) because it spawned there erroneously.
Military Training EXP Analysis
Congrats, Psieye. This is the first time I've seen a derailed thread get put back on the rails.
Pages: 1 [2]