Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Lava Traps  (Read 441 times)

Pakhawaj

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Lava Traps
« on: September 05, 2010, 07:44:57 am »

My Fortress in next to a volcano so I decided to set up a lava trap, here's my basic plan-

0=Volcano
|_= Carved out path
+=wall
X=Floodgates

X
                             |_
                                |
                           +++|+++
                           +         +
                           +XX+XX+

(definitely not to scale)

I managed to set it all up, but I had a few problems;
The lava took a while to get to the trap area.
My first floodgate vanished.
My floodgates to the left vanished.

My floodgates are made out of Gabbro and Mica solely, the mechanisms are not though. What's wrong with my trap? :S

Hans Lemurson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Lava Traps
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2010, 08:09:53 am »

I believe that if the mechanisms for a floodgate are not themselves magma-safe, then the floodgate will break loose.  I myself have watched in horror as my iron floodgate slowly drifted downstream until it came to rest at my other still-standing floodgate...jamming it open.  :'(
Foolprooof way to penetrate aquifers of unlimited depth.  (Make sure to import at least 10 stones for mechanisms)
Toughen Dwarves by dropping stuff on them.  (Nothing too heavy though, and make sure to wear armor.)
"Urist had a little lamb
whose feet tracked blighted soot.
And into every face he saw
his sooty foot he put."

Proteus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2010, 08:15:32 am »

Well, if I remember correctly, Mechanisms (and probably floodgates as well) made out of Bauxite are a must
(might have changed with DF 2010 ... I believe with the introduction of melting points now there are more stones considered to be magma safe, but thatīs one thing to look for in the wiki )

Hans Lemurson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2010, 08:27:51 am »

I believe that all igneous rocks are magma-safe. 
Actually, have a look here: http://df.magmawiki.com/index.php/DF2010:Magma-safe

Hmmm...it appears that Andesite is NOT magma safe.  That would explain a lot of the fun.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2010, 08:30:35 am by Hans Lemurson »
Foolprooof way to penetrate aquifers of unlimited depth.  (Make sure to import at least 10 stones for mechanisms)
Toughen Dwarves by dropping stuff on them.  (Nothing too heavy though, and make sure to wear armor.)
"Urist had a little lamb
whose feet tracked blighted soot.
And into every face he saw
his sooty foot he put."

Fayceless

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2010, 10:05:02 am »

Another thing: the reason the lava moved slowly is because magma is not naturally pressurized.  You can use a powered pump to give it pressure.  Having some magma above the z-level your trap area is will make it move much faster.

Shoku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2010, 02:48:33 pm »

I only ever move magma around for anything I want done "quick" via pumps.

Non-pressurized fluids move pretty slow in channels and you can see why if you turn the numbers on. All of those little 2s have to slide around until they find a zero to plop down on or until they open up a 1 near a 3 so 1/7 can fall down and make a 2. Don't worry if that doesn't make a lot of sense, the end result is that you just want to let your channel drop 1 level every 10 or 20 tiles. This lets the fluid stretch out over the distance where it's still flowing pretty quick and then sort of reset to 7/7 deep so that it will flow quick again.
Please get involved with my making worlds thread.