Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Help a noob?  (Read 1548 times)

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
Re: Help a noob?
« Reply #30 on: September 05, 2010, 02:08:13 pm »

well I found what I thought was a little pool of water in my mountain, and I decided to build a channel from it to my farm room. BIG mistake....
You have encountered your first bit of Fun.

Now chop down some trees, make wooden blocks, pipes, and corkscrews and PUMP THAT WATER OUT dwarf.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2010, 02:10:06 pm by forsaken1111 »

Proteus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 05, 2010, 02:08:55 pm »

Floodings of fortresses are, together with goblins and hidden fun stuff among the primary reasons for the death of a dwarven fortress :D

bbad89

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 05, 2010, 02:19:00 pm »

That might be a problem, there are only 2 trees by my dwarven waterpark.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #33 on: September 05, 2010, 02:28:25 pm »

Okay, make the block out of stone and the pipe and corkscrew out of the two trees there. You now have a pump.

brucemo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 05, 2010, 02:34:27 pm »

Starting with one miner and one woodcutter is fine.

If you designate a large area to be dug out, you'll end up with bits and pieces of everything dug out.  You can dig in a more sensible manner by blocking access to parts that you don't need dug out now.

One way to handle the early digging is to make a burrow that includes the food drink stockpile, and whatever you want dug now, and assign the miner to it.  You can watch him and when he gets done you can add more to the burrow.  But this is some pretty picky micro and easy to end up with a miner standing around for two seasons because he's finished and you didn't notice.

This game is not for people who can't handle bugs, unimplemented features, over-powered fish, frustration, eccentric interface design, and general frustration.

Psieye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 05, 2010, 02:43:47 pm »

At least for underground farms...
for aboveground farms you just need soil
(but for these you have to have first seeds for aboveground plants, obtainable by human or elven traders...those that you brought with you are all underground plants).
You miss the all important source for the first aboveground plant seeds: plant gathering. Gather those plants (make sure you ahve a food stockpile else they can't return their harvest), then brew the plants (you'll need some barrels - got more wood?) and you'll have seeds you can plant (with the best farmers you've got to maximise yield).
Military Training EXP Analysis
Congrats, Psieye. This is the first time I've seen a derailed thread get put back on the rails.

JAFANZ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 05, 2010, 02:46:35 pm »

Okay, make the block out of stone and the pipe and corkscrew out of the two trees there. You now have a pump.

If you haven't deconstructed your wagon yet, that's another 3 logs...

Laurin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 05, 2010, 02:47:02 pm »

That might be a problem, there are only 2 trees by my dwarven waterpark.
There are probably more trees - look some levels up and down the slopes of the mountain.

BCPowers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: September 05, 2010, 05:07:31 pm »

Also something that I didn't realize when i first started is that hotkeys to do things are case-sensitive. I was trying to name my fort and group when i first started the game but was confuzzled on why it didnt work when i pressed f and g. After a while of stupidity and an accidental press of shift I found the solution.

I also read alot of wiki and I have watched a few tutorial videos, but the point of the game isnt to have this perfect fortress built within the first year, it's to be a dwarf and mine and build a fortress that works through trial and error. I finally realized that after many abandons of fortresses i planned out beforehand.

Shoku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: September 05, 2010, 11:32:50 pm »

I left after 10 minutes or so my first time as well but with a "I guess I don't have enough time for this just now after all" mindset. When I came back to it I was ready to fiddle around until I could tell what was going on.

If you want to designate a lot of area for mining ahead of time but want it actually done in a somewhat front-to-back manner just remove little lines through the hall until a section is done. They can't dig squares they can't walk to.
-I think it's called "remove designation." My headcold doesn't want me remembering the hotkey for it though.
Please get involved with my making worlds thread.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #40 on: September 06, 2010, 01:55:04 am »

Since we're recounting stories about our first fort, the first time I tried DF I genned a world, embarked in the middle of a pretty purple area, and watched in horror as my seven dwarves were beset by undead crocs and other nasties.

They didn't last even 10 minutes.

After that, I learned to look at the embark screen first.
Pages: 1 2 [3]