Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Armor Not Registering  (Read 858 times)

Seconis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Armor Not Registering
« on: September 05, 2010, 01:14:04 am »

I have a small military of 9 dwarves.  Or, rather, I should say that I had a small military of 9 dwarves and now have a sad bunch of cripples who know how to use weapons.  My dwarven army was clad in exceptional steel armor with exceptional steel weapons and yet they have all suffered grievous injuries.  Five goblins with copper weapons were able to cut off a hand off of three different dwarves, cut off a leg, and gouge out an eye.  Now, I'm willing to understand the eye, but why is it that the copper weapons are able to penetrate the steel armor so readily?  Further, when I read the reports it always says, "The goblin... slashed... through the cloak or vest or cap."  Why doesn't it say "through the steel breastplate or steel gauntlet?  Are my dwarves bugged or am I simply having ridiculously bad luck?

Just for reference, all of my dwarves are equipped with steel breastplates, mail shirts, helms, gauntlets, high boots, greaves, shields, and weapons.  Any advice?

Thank you.

candylord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Armor Not Registering
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2010, 01:24:16 am »

check your dwarves inventory
if your guys really do have dwarven Steel Mail equipped, there should be no way that copper can penetrate
... yeah I'm quite sure that's the only possible explanation

Statistically, one in twenty of us live next door to a pedophile. Not me though, I live next door to a stunning pair of seven year olds

Seconis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2010, 01:30:11 am »

Well, I'm not sure how to tell if it's equipped or not, but it says something along the lines of, "Steel High Boot  Left Foot" for all of the armor pieces that I mentioned.  But, like I said, it would always say, "penetrated the cloak."  Yeah, they were a big fan of penetrating the cloak, but I would think that the steel breastplate would be under the cloak.

Alastar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2010, 01:37:38 am »

Steel should protect well enough from iron and copper blades that the main concerns should be uncovered body parts and blunt weapons... in fact, the same is already true for iron armour.

Are you wearing the full kit - helm, breastplate, mail shirt, greaves, 2 gauntlets, 2 boots, preferably with something else above/under it? For example, the breastplate covers the torso extremely well but doesn't extend outwards; if you have a breastplate and gauntlets but no shirt you're liable to lose your arms eventually.

Seconis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2010, 01:41:03 am »

As I said, all of my soldier dwarves have the following armor and all of it is in steel and all of it is exceptional:

Breastplate
Mail Shirt
Greaves
Two High Boots
Two Gauntlets
Helm
Shield

I'm really quite confused about it.  Should I try forbidding all of their clothes besides their armor?

MonkeyHead

• Bay Watcher
  • Yma o hyd...
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2010, 02:01:07 am »

there is a mythbusters style thread (in general discussion i think) that would be interested in this - it seems that allowing your military regular clothes under thier armor seems to reduce the effectiveness of thier armor (as if the game assumes one layer being pierced means all of them must). when assigning uniforms, ensure you set it to be instead of clothes (replace) instead of over clothes... option is in the top bar of the assign uniform screen. i can confirm without much scientific rigour that nude + armor (i use a lot of bronze) suffer signifigantly fewer casualties than clothed and armored.
This is a blank sig.

Psieye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2010, 05:55:48 am »

When examining individual units for skills and setting job permissions, there's an inventory tab where yuo can check that they're really wearing what you told htem to wear. If all you're donig is looking at the military screen's equipment section, that's not the final word.
Military Training EXP Analysis
Congrats, Psieye. This is the first time I've seen a derailed thread get put back on the rails.

zooeyglass

• Bay Watcher
  • Melbil that!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2010, 08:11:49 am »

When examining individual units for skills and setting job permissions, there's an inventory tab where yuo can check that they're really wearing what you told htem to wear. If all you're donig is looking at the military screen's equipment section, that's not the final word.
[/quote

Aye, 'm' - 'e' will show you what equipment has been assigned to individual troopers, but not what they are actually wearing. It may be that they haven't yet gone to pickup the equipment.

On the offchance you haven't done so, check using 'v' - 'i' to see what each dwarf is actually wearing.

Do try that 'instead of clothes' fix suggested above also.

It is a total pain in the butt, but you gotta do what you gotta do if you want that upright candy weapon.
Your suspicions are nothing more than superstition

Khift

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2010, 01:24:18 pm »

I need to do some extensive testing. If it turns out that this isn't just a display issue and wearing of clothes actually decreases your survivability then this is a major bug and needs a bug report on the tracker.