Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Advice?  (Read 895 times)

Man of Paper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Advice?
« on: September 04, 2010, 11:08:54 pm »

I hadn't been sieged once, and only had one goblin ambush. Suddenly Bronze Colossus. My people weren't ready for that yet. I was training to fight fleshy things. So I decided screw it, flood him with dwarves. Well, he has 82 kills with a some pig tail fiber trousers. Managed to dent his left middle finger, though. And it wasn't even one of my trained warriors that did it. Anyway, what would be some advice for a well-rounded military?

Biag

• Bay Watcher
  • Huzzah!
    • View Profile
Re: Advice?
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2010, 11:20:57 pm »

Swords, swords, swords. Most people use axes, but I practically swear by steel swords. The major advantage is that swords will also do piercing damage when stabbing, so fleshies will have their organs pierced. If they're steel, your dwarves should have little trouble chopping off colossus limbs and heads.

If you'd rather have a more diverse military, I like a combination of spear- and axedwarves. Keep the speardwarves ready as a first-response unit: they'll pierce organs and cause their enemies to give in to pain. Then send in the Axe Lords to finish them off. Again, use steel.

Side note: never use spears to fight a colossus, as IIRC it's immune to piercing damage.

lolghurt

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:failures]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2010, 11:57:01 pm »

Swords, swords, swords. Most people use axes, but I practically swear by steel swords. The major advantage is that swords will also do piercing damage when stabbing, so fleshies will have their organs pierced. If they're steel, your dwarves should have little trouble chopping off colossus limbs and heads.

If you'd rather have a more diverse military, I like a combination of spear- and axedwarves. Keep the speardwarves ready as a first-response unit: they'll pierce organs and cause their enemies to give in to pain. Then send in the Axe Lords to finish them off. Again, use steel.

Side note: never use spears to fight a colossus, as IIRC it's immune to piercing damage.
Use halberds. axe/spear crossover abominations are the best.
Quote from: acetech09 date=1343968486
It's probably made from baby bone, with a handle of baby leather. Probably uses the leg bones wound together for the handle, the pelvis for the handle/pick joint, and the pick is the spine.

But that's all in theory, of course. Not like I've made a pick out of my own 5 month old baby before.

Skelodwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Likes Mica for it's perfect cleavage.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2010, 12:40:12 am »

Also, don't try using whips. I spent about 30 minutes in the arena, with a grand master lasher, non-stop lashing the colossus, due to the clownite armor, I was fine and didn't get injured the entire fight. The colossus had every body part critically injured but kept on fighting until I chucked my shield at him, and he killed me.

Whips do not work on Colossi.
I never really got that excited over Microcline... Oh wait, THAT blue stuff.

Fayceless

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2010, 01:42:25 am »

My advice: leave him be.

Build cage traps at the entrance to your fort (I like to build them after weapons trap so my weapons traps take care of as many siegers/ambushers as possible) and leave the colossus alone.  He will either get trapped in the cages or get bored and leave.

pushy

• Bay Watcher
  • [MEANDERER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2010, 05:47:50 am »

Build cage traps at the entrance to your fort (I like to build them after weapons trap so my weapons traps take care of as many siegers/ambushers as possible)
I'm the opposite, personally. I prefer having a few lines of cage traps then a few lines of weapon traps - I like to capture a decent number of goblins, have the rest killed off (no survivors if at all possible except the ones in cages), and take the POWs to the arena or prison or whatever to be tortured and/or disposed of as I see fit.
Quote from: Tim Edwards, PC Gamer UK
There are three things I know about dwarves:
1. They've got beards. Even the women.
2. They're short. Especially the women.
3. They're Scottish.

Khift

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2010, 10:14:40 am »

Protip: There is no such thing as piercing damage, just slashing and blunt. Spears (and crossbow bolts) are slashing weapons with very low contact area and very high penetration depth, the opposite of the axe which is very high contact area and very low penetration depth.

That said, if you're taking on a bronze colossus your only real bet in a straight on fight is decapitation. Axes are excellent for that, although it will need to be a steel axe in order to penetrate his bronze skin. Swords could probably do it too. Blunt weapons are great at beating the living snot out of inorganic creatures, rendering them nearly helpless because all of their body parts are smashed to bits, but they are completely incapable of dealing a killing blow to a bronze colossus. I would definitely bring some just because it makes the fight safer, but you'll need an axe to finish him.

But, to do it safer, just capture him in a cage trap. A cage trap will always capture any creature that steps on it 100% of the time as long as it isn't trap immune (titans, forgotten beasts, demons, for example). From there he will be hauled to your animal stockpile and stay there indefinitely until you either let him out or you atomsmash his cage.

Gnauga

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2010, 10:51:47 am »

If you make him the centerpiece of your zoo, your dwarves will love seeing that wonderful creature in a cage lately.

Artanis00

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2010, 02:34:37 pm »

If you aren't averse to modding, add [PET] and [TRAINABLE] to Bronze Colossi and make a war bronze colossus.
Git - fast, efficient, distributed version control system
Github - Free public repositories, issue tracking, wikis, downloads...

Gnauga

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 05, 2010, 04:57:29 pm »

If you aren't averse to modding, add [PET] and [TRAINABLE] to Bronze Colossi and make a war bronze colossus.
Be careful with this, though. I tried it, and it didn't turn out well for some reason. I had a rampaging bronze colossus interrupting all my dwarves. I was sad to have to put it down. It offed one dorf, but not before making it a legendary wrestler.

Artanis00

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 05, 2010, 05:50:16 pm »

Be careful with this, though. I tried it, and it didn't turn out well for some reason. I had a rampaging bronze colossus interrupting all my dwarves. I was sad to have to put it down. It offed one dorf, but not before making it a legendary wrestler.

Ah, yeah. You have to catch it before it kills anyone, I think.
Git - fast, efficient, distributed version control system
Github - Free public repositories, issue tracking, wikis, downloads...

Gnauga

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 05, 2010, 06:02:45 pm »

Ah, yeah. You have to catch it before it kills anyone, I think.
I'm pretty sure it only killed someone post-taming. I caught it before it had the chance to even see a dwarf.

Kanddak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 05, 2010, 08:15:53 pm »

It might've become an enemy of your civilization during worldgen.

I'd probably build a cave-in trap.
Hydrodynamics Education - read this before being confused about fluid behaviors

The wiki is notoriously inaccurate on subjects at the cutting edge, frequently reflecting passing memes, folklore, or the word on the street instead of true dwarven science.