Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Dealing with gore  (Read 2113 times)

Lemunde

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Dealing with gore
« on: September 04, 2010, 08:42:35 pm »

So my current fortress is doing great.  I got several industries going.  Booze is flowing freely.  I have an effective military and I'm on my way to having high quality rooms for all of my dwarves. 

Unfortunately the successful defense of my fortress comes at a price, with blood, guts and vomit covering a large portion of the surface areas of my fortress.  A lot of this gore has been there for several years and the occasional rain causing dwarves to track it inside doesn't help.  Now for underground areas dwarves will simply grab a bucket of water and wipe up any gore they come across.  But they won't touch the surface areas.

While I was amused at first I'm getting a little tired of the top half of my fortress looking like Diablo had a hand in it's construction.  I know in 40d this stuff would go away on it's own at the start of the next season but now it seems to want to stay there indefinitely.  Outside of flooding the top half of my fortress is there anything I can do to clean this mess up?

Vercingetorix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dealing with gore
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2010, 08:52:26 pm »

I think the stuff goes away outside on its own, but inside it won't go away.  Cleaning is pretty bugged so dwarves won't really ever clean it up; it might happen but it probably won't.

You're basically stuck using a method like DFhack's cleaning tool in order to get rid of it.
Do you always look at it in ASCII?

You get used to it, I don't even see the ASCII.  All I see is blacksmith, miner, goblin.

Lemunde

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2010, 08:58:38 pm »

I don't suppose there's any way to mod blood and vomit so that it...evaporates faster or something?  Ima go glance at the raws.

Edit: Nah, forget that.  I just realized that this is stuff that like, flows through dwarf veins.  I don't need dwarves randomly turning into skeletons.  Although that might be entertaining just to see if it happens.  Anyways I did glance at the blood template and it does have the ROTS tag.  I guess this means that it does go away, it just takes it a VERY long time to do so.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2010, 09:03:27 pm by Lemunde »

iceball3

• Bay Watcher
  • Miaou~
    • View Profile
    • My DA
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2010, 09:04:10 pm »

If you do that then your dwarfs will promptly explode. But all the gore will evaporate anyway, so it all stays clean.

Skelodwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Likes Mica for it's perfect cleavage.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2010, 09:06:52 pm »

Flooding is a bad idea, according to the wiki this only spreads it everywhere, instead of cleaning it.
I never really got that excited over Microcline... Oh wait, THAT blue stuff.

Arekis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2010, 09:08:49 pm »

If you're lucky enough to have lots of rain, a tile will be cleaned of various blood/liquid if it gets hit with rain.  Otherwise the dwarves will not clean blood outside.

FleshForge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2010, 09:19:11 pm »

There is a "clean liquids" tool included in DFHack that clears all of these out, if they get on your nerves.  It only touches blood/pus/barf and leaves all other stuff like mud alone.

lolghurt

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:failures]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2010, 09:37:06 pm »

Or pave it with a floor or a road and watch your dorfs hoover it up with their beards
Quote from: acetech09 date=1343968486
It's probably made from baby bone, with a handle of baby leather. Probably uses the leg bones wound together for the handle, the pelvis for the handle/pick joint, and the pick is the spine.

But that's all in theory, of course. Not like I've made a pick out of my own 5 month old baby before.

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2010, 09:46:17 pm »

The dfcleanmap tool in the dfhack tool set will clean up all blood, pus, vomit, goo, and other contaminates on the ground.  It will not remove mud from the ground, so you won't have to re-irrigate your farms.  It also won't touch blood that your dwarves and animals are wearing, so you will likely have to use it repeatedly as they keep dropping pools of blood every time they clean themselves.

I have found that animals are a major culprit in spreading pools of blood.  Wandering animals never properly clean themselves, pick up contamination every time they hit a pool of blood and spread it everywhere.  Restraining or butchering all your stray animals will help contain blood contamination.

Having a well helps, dwarves will clean themselves at a well given a chance.  Having soap does not help.  If you have bars of soap not in a hospital, a dwarf who wants to clean himself will go and pick up a bar of soap, then get confused, drop the soap, spam cancellation messages, and then forget what he was just doing.  Forbid all soap that isn't in your hospital.

I have experimented with automated wash rooms, with mixed results.  Moving water will remove blood from dwarves.  This will create pools of blood which may contaminate anything which steps in them.  Moving water will push pools of blood around, possibly duplicating them if the water spreads out and evaporates.  Pools of blood will not fall through grates in DF2010, so having a waterfall falling into a grate will just result in a big pool of blood on the grates that contaminates everyone who steps in it.  I'm still trying to figure out a design for a self-cleaning wash room.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

KojaK

• Bay Watcher
  • KojaK cancels job: interrupted by Dwarf Fortress
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 04, 2010, 10:04:01 pm »

I've heard magma does a great job at cleaning contaminants up.

... but DFHack is probably safer. XD
Quote from: Airpi
A normal ballista does damage by piercing with overlarge arrows, a dwarven ballista does damage by crushing with entire trees.

They will run, naked, into the caverns and roll around in whatever nearby filth is available.  Watch for gory explosions.

FleshForge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 04, 2010, 10:30:50 pm »

The thing is, if there is any blood in any kind of traffic area, then it will eventually spread EVERYWHERE anyone walks, even up stairs.  It never tries, and while idle dwarves to occasionally clean a bit up, in my experience they never clean it up faster than it spreads.  It's a bit silly, although it doesn't usually bother me all that much.

melomel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 04, 2010, 11:40:06 pm »

Dwarves will promptly clean constructions and smoothed surfaces that are inside and/or dark and/or subterranean.  I'm not exactly sure what the requirements are.

So far I've noticed them cleaning dirt floors--but not dirt walls--and constructed walls, both inside/dark/subterranean.

Earthen ground that's outside/light/above ground will never, ever be cleaned, and rain does absolutely nothing.  Or maybe makes things worse, I'm not sure.
I HAVE THREE HUNDRED THOUSAND CRAFT ITEMS. I WILL TRADE THEM ALL FOR CHEESE.
7+7

Ithicar

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 05, 2010, 12:48:21 am »

DFhack works great. Dfcleanmap wipes out everything that spreads minus mud, and hasn't caused a single issue for me. My forts main entry and surrounding walls would be awash in blood without it, which would be fine if it didn't likely cause FPS issues.

Arekis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 05, 2010, 01:36:24 am »

Earthen ground that's outside/light/above ground will never, ever be cleaned, and rain does absolutely nothing.  Or maybe makes things worse, I'm not sure.

I'm pretty sure rain cleans up blood.  I've seen this in my current game and the wiki concurs:

"Rain also cleans any tile it lands on, removing blood, vomit and other bodily fluids on contact."
Source: http://df.magmawiki.com/index.php/Rain#ixzz0ydO83FgO

Lemunde

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 05, 2010, 01:47:15 am »

I too have seen this happen.  However I also believe that rain allows blood to be picked up by anything that walks on it so it does get tracked all around.  So some gets cleaned up and some gets added.

Personally I liked the old system better.  Just wait a month or three and the blood would magically disappear.  I think I'm going to add something to the suggestions for a fast-rot tag that makes some items rot a lot faster than others.  This way blood should disappear in a few months rather than a few years.
Pages: [1] 2 3