Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Dealing with gore  (Read 2108 times)

thijser

• Bay Watcher
  • You to cut down a tree in order to make an axe!
    • View Profile
Re: Dealing with gore
« Reply #30 on: September 06, 2010, 11:53:00 am »

Well you could also try to defend your fort in a bloodless methode. Or maybe you could do something that makes it so that blood touches air/ground it will boil. Trough I don't know how wounded dwarfs will react.
I'm not a native English speaker. Feel free to point out grammar/spelling mistakes. This way I can learn better English.

Argonnek

• Bay Watcher
  • Surging Forward
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 06, 2010, 12:04:47 pm »

I know how they would react:
"Ow, a papercu -- AAAAAUUUUUUGGGGHHHHH!!!"

ledgekindred

• Bay Watcher
  • Oh Boy, Microcline
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 06, 2010, 04:30:31 pm »

Well you could also try to defend your fort in a bloodless methode. Or maybe you could do something that makes it so that blood touches air/ground it will boil. Trough I don't know how wounded dwarfs will react.

I have actually done this while playing with the cats in my fortress.  The simplest way would be to adjust the mat properties for the BLOOD_MAT type in material_properties.txt so the boiling point was low enough that it would vaporize.  That would affect all blood in any creature that used the default BLOOD_MAT template which is anything that has blood AFAIK.  You can actually do this in the raw/objects template of a running fort and I think it should take effect without having to regen the region.  In theory any blood on your map would evaporate then you could save and revert the mat props to make new blood-soaked battlefields, although I haven't actually tried that.  Might be an interesting experiment.

(It wouldn't actually hurt the dwarves because you'd be setting the boiling point of the blood lower than the ambient temperature, so it wouldn't actually heat up when released, just boil away.)

tl;dr can skip this part:

I experimented with a couple different ways because I wanted to add an on-contact toxic syndrome to cats (If I get a catsplosion I want to see some real f***ing catsplosions dammit.) which required that they bled but I didn't want pools and pools of toxic cat blood everywhere to kill my whole fort instantly.  One way that worked sort of but was very finicky was to set the blood's boiling point lower than the ambient temperature of the coldest regions (around 9000, yeah actually 9000, not making a joke) but set the default temp blood temp even lower and the SPEC_HEAT very low so it would heat up slowly.  It would stay on the tiles for a few moments before slowly warming up and boiling away.  But it was very finicky to get the temps and spec heat just right.  Easier to change the blood template but this way at least you got temporary blood-filled battlefields.

(I actually wound up using a custom tissue layer based on Iron Man Gas that explodes if the cat is wounded.  Any victim that inhales it gets "catsplosion fever" which causes their hands and feet to rot off and vomit uncontrollably until they dehydrate and die. [insert mad scientist laugh here])
« Last Edit: September 06, 2010, 04:33:20 pm by ledgekindred »
I don't understand, though that is about right with anything DF related.
I just hope he dies the same death that all dwarfs deserve: liver disease.
The legend of Reg: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=65866.0
Atir Stigildegel, Legless Hero of Diamondrelic: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=83136.0

KojaK

• Bay Watcher
  • KojaK cancels job: interrupted by Dwarf Fortress
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 06, 2010, 07:45:25 pm »

(I actually wound up using a custom tissue layer based on Iron Man Gas that explodes if the cat is wounded.  Any victim that inhales it gets "catsplosion fever" which causes their hands and feet to rot off and vomit uncontrollably until they dehydrate and die. [insert mad scientist laugh here])

Oh my god. o_o

That's AWESOME!
Quote from: Airpi
A normal ballista does damage by piercing with overlarge arrows, a dwarven ballista does damage by crushing with entire trees.

They will run, naked, into the caverns and roll around in whatever nearby filth is available.  Watch for gory explosions.
Pages: 1 2 [3]