Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Dealing with gore  (Read 2109 times)

FleshForge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dealing with gore
« Reply #15 on: September 05, 2010, 02:03:14 am »

The thing is, when anyone inlcuding pets gets one spot of blood indoors, especially in a high traffic area, it tends to spread way faster than it is cleaned up.  Hunters that carry a bloody corpse for example get it on themselves, and they go wash it off at the well - and then everyone standing around the well tracks it everywhere.

Sir Finkus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 05, 2010, 03:26:49 am »

Personally, I think if the elven traders can't smell your fort from 15 miles away, you're running it incorrectly.  Every fort should look like this.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

CinnibarMan

• Bay Watcher
  • [FANCIFUL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 05, 2010, 06:44:12 am »

Generally all my gore ends up in my water reactors. I like to think that the blood makes them work better.

Also: Finkus; Good god man what happened?
Burning and raping the land is recreational. Where business is concerned, though, sustainability is the name of the game.

darkflagrance

• Bay Watcher
  • Carry on, carry on
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 05, 2010, 06:59:21 am »

Someone uploaded a save file a while ago in which all of a human civ's cities had been destroyed and all of its 2000 or so inhabitants congregated in the capital as refugees.

This is probably after the slaughter.
...as if nothing really matters...

The Legend of Tholtig Cryptbrain: 8000 dead elves and a cyclops

Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod

Sir Finkus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 05, 2010, 08:23:04 am »

Fun

Valkyrie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 05, 2010, 02:01:57 pm »

Rain seems to clean outside-light tiles only.  At least in my experience, it doesn't seem to touch outside-light tiles that have /ever/ been inside, which means that any enclosed external part of the fortress, or any underground light-plant farms are never going to get rain-cleaned.  And on maps where it snows instead of rains, you don't even get that.

I usually use magma or dirt roads to clean.  Magma is annoying, since I basically have to seal myself off from half of my own fort, pump it full of magma, and wait for it to drain, before I can get back to normal operations.  But building dirt roads (or other structures and then deconstructing them) is even more annoying, in general, imo.

For dark-inside cleaning, dwarves to seem to get to it, but only if they've got a lot of idle time and are in the area.  Since I switched to zone-based Meeting areas (instead of table- or well-based), so there are no Parties by idle dwarves, I've had a lot of success getting areas cleaned.  Simply designate (another) meeting area near the mess, and with 10-20 idle dwarves pacing around between that new meeting zone and any others you have, it should generally get cleaned up within a few ingame days.

I've tried various automated shower systems and the like, but they generally just make an enormous mess rather than actually help the situation.  I've tried several of my 40d magma traps (where a brief touch of magma was usually fatal; the same traps are nigh-useless in 31.x, since the magma contact is so brief) run using water instead, and it does clean the dwarves/pets off ... but it generates enough 'stuff that just got cleaned off the dwarf' piles, combined with not hitting 100% of the creatures the walk through, that they wind up just spreading the contaminants around to more and more creatures and areas instead of less.  In one fort, I'd just freshly done a full magma-bath, cleansing a decade of grime out of the fortress, and then activated my shower system ... in less than a month, the contaminant problem was /worse/ than before I'd done the magma bath ><

Contaminants are annoying.  They're the only part of 31.x that really bugs me.

iceball3

• Bay Watcher
  • Miaou~
    • View Profile
    • My DA
« Reply #21 on: September 05, 2010, 06:30:18 pm »

bugs
I see what you did there.

darkflagrance

• Bay Watcher
  • Carry on, carry on
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 05, 2010, 06:52:37 pm »

Has anyone noticed that gore seems to slow down the game? In my Fortress Defense Mod, the years of broken sieges coats the entire map in red. Though in my current game I haven't done anything more than dig out a cave and build a couple of wooden structures, my fps plummeted from 150 to 70 over the course of three years of sieges.

This is what the situation looks like at present:

...as if nothing really matters...

The Legend of Tholtig Cryptbrain: 8000 dead elves and a cyclops

Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod

Sir Finkus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 06, 2010, 05:59:31 am »

Has anyone noticed that gore seems to slow down the game? In my Fortress Defense Mod, the years of broken sieges coats the entire map in red. Though in my current game I haven't done anything more than dig out a cave and build a couple of wooden structures, my fps plummeted from 150 to 70 over the course of three years of sieges.

This is what the situation looks like at present:

Oh yes, quite a bit.  Part of it seems to be rendering related because I get double the fps when I'm not on the layer with all the dead humans.

Zaik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 06, 2010, 06:13:17 am »

I have experimented with automated wash rooms, with mixed results.  Moving water will remove blood from dwarves.  This will create pools of blood which may contaminate anything which steps in them.  Moving water will push pools of blood around, possibly duplicating them if the water spreads out and evaporates.  Pools of blood will not fall through grates in DF2010, so having a waterfall falling into a grate will just result in a big pool of blood on the grates that contaminates everyone who steps in it.  I'm still trying to figure out a design for a self-cleaning wash room.

This is really funny if you have a small number of military with lots of kills that stay active duty pretty much 24/7. I had a flooding accident that spread about 10 pages worth of various blood, ichor, and forgotten beast extract down the main staircase of my fort.

It was funny, but at the same time annoying to see the grayish green everywhere all the time, especially in the hospital, just thinking about that makes me cringe. Wasn't going to use dfhack though because i was seeing how much blood i could get laying around outside.

I got at least 40% of a 4x3 embark totally red by the time i lost my save in a sea of seasonal saves and never found it again
[MILL_CHILD:ONLY_IF_GOOD_REASON]

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 06, 2010, 07:58:04 am »

I know I've seen a doctor clean blood out of a hospital zone, including the walls. Maybe if you designate the out doors as a hospital, Newbie and Brown Bear will start mopping it up because the Janitor is a dick.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

ledgekindred

• Bay Watcher
  • Oh Boy, Microcline
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 06, 2010, 10:11:17 am »

If you smooth inside tiles and floors, Dwarves with spare time and the Cleaning task will come clean it up relatively quickly.  If they aren't smoothed they will still get around to it.  I suggest flooring over any dirt tiles inside the fort to encourage more cleaning plus it will also get rid of any glop currently on those tiles.

Outside, the gore piles up unless you have rain.  Although it's possible that it may slowly get overgrown in time if you are a grassy area.  I had one fort where the front yard was essentially a giant, abbatoir-like morass of blood, vomit, mud and organs.  I spent the better part of a year digging to the caverns and setting up a forward pase down there and when I came back up, it was mostly grass and some skeletons but I'm not sure exactly what happened since I wasn't paying attention to the outside.

The main problem is that blood in open water only spreads and spreads and makes more and more blood.  Dwarves will eventually wash any blood and gore off, but pets never do; if they get in water, everywhere it goes again.  (Frankly I'm not sure how some of these animals can even move, as caked in gore as they are most of the time.)

Generally speaking if you have enough idlers in your fort it will stay clean, although your dwarves will probably still be covered in blood and vomit most of the time.  Soap makes them want to clean up more often, but it seems to be vaguely bugged at the moment so half the time they will stand around the well with soap, not doing anything.

There have been a few people with workarounds here and there in the forums for keeping your dwarves and pets clean.
I don't understand, though that is about right with anything DF related.
I just hope he dies the same death that all dwarfs deserve: liver disease.
The legend of Reg: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=65866.0
Atir Stigildegel, Legless Hero of Diamondrelic: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=83136.0

Lemunde

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 06, 2010, 10:31:47 am »

I recently started a new fortress and designed the entrance so that a lot more gore stays outside(I hope).

As you can see the weapon traps go underground instead of directly at the entrance.  You can't see it but there's two goblin corpses there.  Unfortunately my dwarves aren't cleaning it as much as I'd like but they do clean it occasionally.  I'm also using an airlock system that keeps by dwarves safe while cleaning. 

Once I start seeing more ambushes I'll know if this system is really effective.  Also I'm afraid if I ever see any rain it will start getting tracked inside.

Edit: And of course as soon as I posted that I got a siege.  It failed.  I'll have an update shortly.

Edit 2: Well it's definitely better.  There's still some blood on the walls but none of it made it inside.  I also set up a nearby garbage dump to deal with all the bodies and random stuff lying in there.  It took them about two minutes to clear all of it out.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2010, 10:47:03 am by Lemunde »

ledgekindred

• Bay Watcher
  • Oh Boy, Microcline
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 06, 2010, 11:30:05 am »

My current fort uses a goblin grinder - basically a pressure pad/hatch-controlled roach motel for goblins.  They can get in but can't get out.  The entries lead to a large-ish room full of weapon traps.  Weak weapon traps.  Lots of them.  So they take very little damage from each one, and get to run around and around for a while before they finally succumb to failure to dodge or death by a thousand cutsremoved limbs.  I don't even bother cleaning it out.  I wait for everything to rot away and the miasma to thin out and then have my dwarves go in and grab the goblinite and leave the goblin bits there.  (Except for the gunk gumming up the traps, if any.) 

The path from the inside of the fort is a relatively long, smoothed path.  Whatever the dwarves track out wears off before they get into the fort itself and then the dwarves go wash themselves at the well.  The area around the well gets covered with blood a lot also, but since that's also the meeting area, it gets cleaned up almost immediately.  Eventually someone goes back and cleans the access tunnel, but frankly imagining what the inside of the grinder must look like after the third or fourth goblin-burger-ized siege is enough to turn my stomach and the dwarves apparently think so too, since they have never ever tried to clean it.

But of course, that's the point.

P.S. By keeping the majority of the gore between a couple of good sized tunnels keeps it from being all over the ground making it much less likely to get tracked into the fort.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2010, 11:33:24 am by ledgekindred »
I don't understand, though that is about right with anything DF related.
I just hope he dies the same death that all dwarfs deserve: liver disease.
The legend of Reg: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=65866.0
Atir Stigildegel, Legless Hero of Diamondrelic: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=83136.0

Urist McKing

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Spacemarine
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 06, 2010, 11:40:18 am »

Why would you want to clean it up? If my dwarves cleaned up bloood, I would NEVER get done with painting my great pyramid of Armok.
Yes! I would like the court to recognize the record as showing that I FUCKING CALLED IT!
Pages: 1 [2] 3