Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 91 92 [93] 94 95 ... 98

Author Topic: Fight to the death the second: Round two  (Read 83711 times)

Phantom

• Bay Watcher
  • Asiatic Asian
    • View Profile
Re: Fight to the death the second: Round two
« Reply #1380 on: December 17, 2010, 03:31:53 pm »

You just like putting up paper arguments don't you?

Shrugging Khan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1381 on: December 17, 2010, 03:34:40 pm »

No, I'm serious. Even disregarding that that armstrong guy relies on magic; most of his power seems to come from the writer pretty much saying "naaah" to reality and just letting him be overpowered for no particular reason.
Not a troll, not some basement-dwelling neckbeard, but indeed a hateful, rude little person. On the internet.
I'm actually quite nice IRL, but you people have to pay the price for that.

Now stop being distracted by the rudeness, quit your accusations of trollery, and start arguing like real men!

Omegastick

• Bay Watcher
  • Crazy musician man
    • View Profile
« Reply #1382 on: December 17, 2010, 03:38:08 pm »

@CJ1145 The only problem with that is Ezio almost always takes out his targets in one deadly stab. Unless you can find a reason for him not dying when Ezio stabs him in the face then the 'he's really tough' argument falls flat.
I make music under the name Flag Red, check me out:
Soundcloud
Youtube
Facebook

Phantom

• Bay Watcher
  • Asiatic Asian
    • View Profile
« Reply #1383 on: December 17, 2010, 03:40:20 pm »

I have one thing to say.
Who the fuck cares?
I don't like Ezio very much, in fact, I also hate Assassins Creed. But Ezio can't beat Armstrong in quite a few scenarios, despite said Shrugging Khan's dislike of Anime which I share.

Ezio has never fought a man that can deconstruct things by punching them, or a guy that throws statues of himself. Hell, Ezio would have trouble with plenty of the people in the tournament.

However said sneak then stabbing in the face would probably kill Armstrong any way.

FuzzyZergling

• Bay Watcher
  • Zergin' erry day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1384 on: December 17, 2010, 03:43:46 pm »

Armstrong is a rather tall man, and a trained state alchemist who participated in the Ishval War.
The only way Ezio would be able to reach his head for a sneak stab would be to come down from above, and I think Armstrong would notice that.
I could be wrong.

But I do think that a sword to the face would kill him, I can't see any reason why it wouldn't.

Omegastick

• Bay Watcher
  • Crazy musician man
    • View Profile
« Reply #1385 on: December 17, 2010, 03:49:10 pm »

@FuzzyZergling Ezio can sneak into cities overflowing with highly trained guards without killing anyone or being spotted, I'm pretty sure he can climb a tree and hide up there.
Soundcloud
Youtube
Facebook

Shrugging Khan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1386 on: December 17, 2010, 03:49:59 pm »

let's take this differently: What arguments are there for Armstrong seeing a sneaking stab or a crossbow bolt from behind coming? Other than "he's super super!".
Not a troll, not some basement-dwelling neckbeard, but indeed a hateful, rude little person. On the internet.

Now stop being distracted by the rudeness, quit your accusations of trollery, and start arguing like real men!

FuzzyZergling

• Bay Watcher
  • Zergin' erry day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1387 on: December 17, 2010, 04:27:15 pm »

I assume that his soldier training and war experiences would sharpen his instincts, in that he would be able to sense Ezio sneaking near him.
I don't think he could dodge a crossbow bolt, though.

Shrugging Khan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1388 on: December 17, 2010, 04:31:56 pm »

Being a soldier in a war sounds to me like a somewhat noisier job than assassination-avoider.

Omegastick

• Bay Watcher
  • Crazy musician man
    • View Profile
« Reply #1389 on: December 17, 2010, 04:42:25 pm »

As I said earlier, Ezio sneaks past guards specially trained to seek out hiding assassins with ease, never mind just waiting for one to walk past. Regardless, all Ezio needs to do is line up a gunshot to his face while in hiding.

Also, Ezio knows that he is going to a jungle so he would likely take the time to stop by a tailor's shop and get his armour and clothing died green so he could hide better.
Soundcloud
Youtube
Facebook

FuzzyZergling

• Bay Watcher
  • Zergin' erry day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1390 on: December 17, 2010, 06:16:33 pm »

Yeah, even though I would love to see Armstrong continue, I think Ezio has the advantage here.

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1391 on: December 17, 2010, 07:25:09 pm »

Ezio dropping down from above means Ezio being above, I don't see it being that easy to find someone, then predict their movement to a sufficient distance that you can get ahead of them, then prepare an ambush, all without being detected. Otherwise you are just sitting on one tree out of ten thousand that your opponent may happen to walk under before you die thirst and exposure.

Sneaking through a city is very different to sneaking through a forest, a city has walls, hiding behind a wall means knowing that none of you is protruding and not being there is someone walks past. Forests have leaves and tree-trunks, which mean circling around or standing still. Cities have hard surfaces and require soft steps, forests have cluttered surfaces and require careful placement. Cities have lots of people noises, forests have few animal noises. Cities have clear vision but lots of movement, forests have limited vision but any motion sticks out. Ezio is working at about 70% stealth, tops, and is far from the master of stealth you have come to know and love.

I think it comes down to: Can Armstrong block a bolt?
Vote (1) for the Urist scale!
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Urist has been forced to use a friend as fertilizer lately.
Read the First Post!

FuzzyZergling

• Bay Watcher
  • Zergin' erry day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1392 on: December 17, 2010, 10:25:59 pm »

If he sees it coming, yes.
But I thought that Ezio also had a gun?

CJ1145

• Bay Watcher
  • *Insert Meme Here*
    • View Profile
« Reply #1393 on: December 17, 2010, 10:50:13 pm »

If he sees it coming, yes.
But I thought that Ezio also had a gun?
Yes, but it's something like the first gun ever and is pretty much equivalent to a small round crossbow bolt.

See, Armstrong's war experience wasn't your "boom goes the dynamite" kill everything missions. He fought in a guerrilla war, where people were doing sneak attacks all the time. He'd be much better at spotting an opponent than a guard.

And there's another thing the supporters of sneaky-sneak Ezio are forgetting: the setting. In most situations Ezio has tons of people, and buildings to use to his advantage when sneaking about. The reason the guards are so easy to sneak up on is that they have no idea who Ezio is, and they see hundreds of people walk by in the span of an hour. One hooded guy in a cape isn't that exciting to them. Armstrong, on the other hand, would flip out as soon as he saw another human being.

Ezio's style wasn't the stealth most of us are used to. He was not seen because nobody ever expected him. He hid in plain sight, by being the most unassuming guy possible in that get-up of his. All he has to help with that here are trees and bushes, and while he's fast enough to duck around corners he's not the most quiet guy.

And in direct melee, Armstrong wins period. He's fast enough to dodge any blow Ezio can use, and strong enough to probably dislocate or even break bones with his punches. The spiked gloves help too. If Ezio is using metal armor, Armstrong could probably transmute it to a very cumbersome form (that is, HIS FACE) and eliminate what protection the assassin has from his blows.
This being Homestuck, I'm not sure whether that's post-scratch Rose or Vriska with a wig.

Omegastick

• Bay Watcher
  • Crazy musician man
    • View Profile
« Reply #1394 on: December 18, 2010, 11:44:41 am »

@RAM Ezio has done harder than that before, he has done that when his target is surrounded by guards that are on the lookout for him. He can also climb a tall thing (tower/tree/mountain) and use eagle vision to spot his target from there. Again, you are underestimating him, he has a tactical mind rivalling Sherlock Holmes'.

@CJ1145 That first gun ever was designed with the use of the Apple and as such it can involve technology from any time period, it's just manufactured in the 15/16th century.

You raised the point about it being a setting that Ezio is not used to; Although you are right that Ezio hasn't fought in a jungle in any of the games (I don't know about the comics, etc.) Ezio would be more than capable of concealing himself. You are also only half-right about Ezio hiding in the crowd; Ezio is nigh on undetectable in a crowd, but he has shown an amazing ability to hide without anyone other than the lookout guards nearby. He has even hidden himself from people that are paranoid and always on the lookout for him.
Soundcloud
Youtube
Facebook
Pages: 1 ... 91 92 [93] 94 95 ... 98