Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 80 81 [82] 83 84 ... 98

Author Topic: Fight to the death the second: Round two  (Read 83825 times)

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Fight to the death the second: Round two
« Reply #1215 on: November 23, 2010, 07:15:19 pm »

What would be really great would be if someone whose character is no longer competing was willing to judge...
Vote (1) for the Urist scale!
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Urist has been forced to use a friend as fertilizer lately.
Read the First Post!

ragnarok97071

• Bay Watcher
  • /人 ◕ ‿‿ ◕人\
    • View Profile
« Reply #1216 on: November 23, 2010, 07:41:54 pm »

I'll do you one better if the seal god is okay with it. I don't and have never had a  character.
Quote from: Wing, via Discord
I want a coat that doesn't make me look like a rear admiral from the East India Company

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #1217 on: November 23, 2010, 08:34:58 pm »

I'd be fine with you judging for this fight, so that I can enter the ring on behalf of Sauron. I'm going to go read up on him, so don't call the fight until I finish. (Should be around 5 hours, tops.)

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
The Artist Formerly Known as Barbarossa TSG

ragnarok97071

• Bay Watcher
  • /人 ◕ ‿‿ ◕人\
    • View Profile
« Reply #1218 on: November 24, 2010, 11:51:31 pm »

Decision will be tomorrow, I guess. noonish. or later, I dunno.
Quote from: Wing, via Discord
I want a coat that doesn't make me look like a rear admiral from the East India Company

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #1219 on: November 25, 2010, 01:18:40 am »

It seems that lord Zedd is immensely weakened without his staff, as proven by when Tommy shattered it. Without it, he loses both his ability to teleport and his ability to summon lightning blasts.

With this information, a scenario develops. Sauron sneaks up to Zedd while invisible. Sauron breaks the staff before Zedd turns around and they begin fighting in earnest. Meanwhile, Sauron uses the strength of 'a thousand men' to crush Zedd into the ground.

Est Sularus Oth Mithas

lemon10

• Bay Watcher
  • Citrus Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #1220 on: November 25, 2010, 02:13:56 am »

When does sauron show the ability to go invisible?
Also, zedd has super vision, so i'm not sure if invisibility would work on zedd even if sauron had it
and since zedd has supervision, he could teleport onto the second small island, and look all over the main island with his super vision (which can see land at normal magnification from space). He would eventually find sauron, and then be able to teleport to him and engage him at his leisure.

also, where does it say sauron has the strength of "a thousand men"?

As far as I understood, Sauron's physical form isn't nigh-invulnerable, but being a magician of epic proportions, he would easily have a method of shrugging off continuous lightning blasts. I don't know Lord Zedd, but I would assume that if he saw his ranged attacks having no effect whatsoever, he would eventually switch to melee combat, at which point Sauron would have a chance of bashing his skull in. We don't see whether or not Sauron shrugs off physical blows, even in the movie adaptation we only see him take one "critical hit", which I'd assume was effective only because it took the ring off. I mean, he essentially waded through a battlefield, towering above everything else. The only thing he lacked was a giant neon sign saying "archers shoot here", yet he didn't seem to get hit.

All in all, I can't draw a conclusion in favor of either of the characters. I know too little of Lord Zedd, and Lord Sauron is a mysterious figure, intentionally left "broadly defined" in canon, so we don't have any concrete info on him. In this case, Sauron's abilities other than being a big guy in black armor would really decide the outcome of the fight, unlike in the previous fight.
Magic in the LOTR universe for the most part isn't attack spells, during the lord of the rings movie, not even a single elemental attack spell was show. So their is no basis for sauron being able to do anything about lightning blasts, if your saying he can deflect stuff just because he is a magician i don't see how anyone would be able to beat him.
Yeah, he was pretty much invunerable to damage, but that was a effect of his ring, and the invunerability aspect was taken out, so he would just be a dude in strong armor for physical durability

Aye, if someone would either read the links or read the books for additional Sauron powers, that'd be helpful.
Sauron's powers from the LOTR wiki:
magic mace (movie only)
shapeshifting (no fair forms, so only combat forms and such), if he used this he would be unable to use armor or weapons
altering the physical substance of the world around him by mere effort of will (not sure where this was used, came from or if it was in the simillarion or lord of the rings), i don't think this is powerful enough to use in combat though

I'd say that being kind-of-a-God, Sauron would be nigh invulnerable to regular weapons.
Before he made the ring he was totally immortal (his body could be destroyed, but he could always make another), being killed would weaken him for a time i suspect but nothing more. After he made the ring he was immortal while the ring existed, but he put LOTS of energy into it (its main use was to manipulate the elf rings, but the elfs noticed it and didn't use them, so a large part of it was put to waste), when it was broken he died. However, this isn't relevant, since sauron lost his immortality for entry into this competition.

The movie isn't canon, so sauron wouldn't have his mace, while he would probably have good combat skills and is extremely powerful overall, combats not where the vast bulk of his powers are.
And with a mighty leap, the evil Conservative flies through the window, escaping our heroes once again!
Because the solution to not being able to control your dakka is MOAR DAKKA.

That's it. We've finally crossed over and become the nation of Da Orky Boyz.

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #1221 on: November 25, 2010, 02:37:54 am »

stuff
Sauron has the strength of 'a thousand men' because he is described as such in a paragraph about Morgoth's chief generals in the Silmarillion. Even if that's an exaggeration, it still implies that he was abnormally strong.

Also, the ring did not make him invulnerable. The ring amplified the power that he already had. He still has the ring, it just doesn't make him able to control the other rings, and therefore he won't instantly die by using it.

Sauron does not have a magic mace, and never did. Not even in the movie. Sauron did bring 'a great blackened steel mace, with a head in the form of a man's skull' to battle, though. It was not inherently magical. People flew away from him when he hit them because of his abnormally strong swings. With the reach that the large mace gave him, as well as him being fairly tall, he could swat several people at a time.

The ring made Bilbo/Frodo invisible because, as Gandalf described, it was imbued with Sauron's own power. This implies that Sauron had the ability to make himself invisible, which conforms to that whole bit about altering reality be sheer force of will, as well as his reputation as 'The Great Necromancer'.

I'd have to say that Sauron's power is fairly well balanced between combat at not combat. Any 10 foot tall dude with extreme strength that carries a huge iron mace into battle that can control time and space themselves is going to be pretty hard to take down.

Now, to question the opposition. Does Zedd have thermal vision or something similar with which to view an invisible attacker? Does Sauron even have blood to see? Can Zedd properly withstand a blow that can send a dozen men cartwheeling through the air? Can his staff? Would lightning even have any effect on a (possibly?) bloodless huge guy?

Est Sularus Oth Mithas

ed boy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1222 on: November 25, 2010, 03:38:33 am »

since zedd has supervision, he could teleport onto the second small island, and look all over the main island with his super vision (which can see land at normal magnification from space). He would eventually find sauron, and then be able to teleport to him and engage him at his leisure.
Even if he van have an aerial view, unless sauron is standing in the open, it won't do much good - the canopy would be extremely thick.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #1223 on: November 25, 2010, 04:06:43 am »

From the book, when Gandalf (the Grey then) fought Durin's Bane on top of the Endless Stair (specifically, the top of Zirak-Zigil, IIRC), we can, from multiple separate mentions, see that lightning strikes were one of the forms of attack Gandalf was using. It was Gandalf the Grey then, and he defeated the Balrog, which means he is, at least, as strong as it. Then, Gandalf the White said that he is the "most dangerous thing to meet, unless you were to see Sauron on his throne", implying that at that time, Sauron was still stronger than him. Back when Sauron had the ring, he was even stronger.

So, we can safely assume that even if lightning WILL harm this version of Sauron we have, toned down to be simply "a big armored guy with a mace", he would still have enough resilience in him to withstand numerous lightning strikes without severe damage. Which means that the whole thing will be decided in melee, in which Sauron may not be quite imaginative, but When All You Have Is A Giant Steel Mace, every skull in reach tends to look like a bullseye-painted watermelon. And if Zedd lets even one hit connect, he may well be incapacitated for long enough to let Sauron walk up and pulverize him.
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

ed boy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1224 on: November 25, 2010, 04:27:22 am »

Also, you might want to consider that sauron's armour could act as a faraday cage or sorts.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #1225 on: November 25, 2010, 04:30:33 am »

And his mace as a lightning rod - so, maybe not. :)
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1226 on: November 25, 2010, 06:33:17 am »

Well, the question is if the electricity would bypass the body and travel exclusively through the armour, which inspires two questions.

What is Sauron's body made out of?

Does Zedd fire electricity?
Vote (1) for the Urist scale!
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Urist has been forced to use a friend as fertilizer lately.
Read the First Post!

CJ1145

• Bay Watcher
  • *Insert Meme Here*
    • View Profile
« Reply #1227 on: November 25, 2010, 10:25:04 am »

Most spirits in Middle Earth seem to take the form of flesh, but based on the actions of a certain elf, it seems like they might be capable of shedding that form. Of course, I'm drawing from the wizards, as they have something to gain from blending in with the mortals. Sauron only wished to rule/destroy them, and considering his size alone it's obvious he isn't taking the average form. Is it possible he could simply be a spirit inside that armor?
This being Homestuck, I'm not sure whether that's post-scratch Rose or Vriska with a wig.

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #1228 on: November 25, 2010, 11:27:03 am »

It could very well be that his body is made of iron as well. He can alter reality, so... even if it wasn't, he could make it that way for the fight. I don't think that Zedd has enough electricity to create and electromagnetic pulse large enough to hurl a 10 foot tall walking Iron Death Machine.

Est Sularus Oth Mithas

FuzzyZergling

• Bay Watcher
  • Zergin' erry day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1229 on: November 25, 2010, 12:18:40 pm »

I think that Zedd would have a good chance of winning if he can keep away from Sauron, and just fling lightning at him.

About how fast can Sauron move, when he wants to?
Pages: 1 ... 80 81 [82] 83 84 ... 98