Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 73 74 [75] 76 77 ... 98

Author Topic: Fight to the death the second: Round two  (Read 83951 times)

HailFire

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Fight to the death the second: Round two: Youmu VS A guardian naga
« Reply #1110 on: November 07, 2010, 04:56:47 pm »

Actually, her theoretical top speed (some people actually crunched the numbers, believe it or not, based off of one of her spellcards) is about 25% of the speed of light.

Also, Wikipedia is a terrible source in comparison to the actual Touhou wiki, here.
[22:59] <apotheoseGrifter> COMMIT SUDOKU ALL NIGHT LONG FUCK YEAH
[18:14] <The_Gamemaster> I am here.
[18:14] <The_Gamemaster> I am always here.
[18:15] <The_Gamemaster> I have always been here, and I always will be here. I am the alpha and the omega, the beginning and the end.

ein

• Bay Watcher
  • 勝利の女神はここよ~ 早く捕まえてぇ~
    • View Profile
« Reply #1111 on: November 07, 2010, 04:59:49 pm »

Meh, all of the wiki entries tend to exaggerate.
This is pretty much the extent of her power, other than the basic attacks, which includes deflecting frontal missile attacks, normal sword slashes, and some short range missile attacks.

V-Norrec

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1112 on: November 07, 2010, 05:06:29 pm »

Taking a look at those moves, she ought to be able to cause some serious damage to the Naga.  Also, she seems to be pretty mobile.  Not enough to avoid the spells probably but enough to avoid the acid spit.

HailFire

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1113 on: November 07, 2010, 05:07:37 pm »

Meh, all of the wiki entries tend to exaggerate.
This is pretty much the extent of her power, other than the basic attacks, which includes deflecting frontal missile attacks, normal sword slashes, and some short range missile attacks.

Au contraire.

All combat you see in the Touhou games is strictly and intentionally non-lethal-- in a competition like this, Youmu's going to use her powers to their fullest extent, and shoot to kill.
[22:59] <apotheoseGrifter> COMMIT SUDOKU ALL NIGHT LONG FUCK YEAH
[18:14] <The_Gamemaster> I am here.
[18:14] <The_Gamemaster> I am always here.
[18:15] <The_Gamemaster> I have always been here, and I always will be here. I am the alpha and the omega, the beginning and the end.

ein

• Bay Watcher
  • 勝利の女神はここよ~ 早く捕まえてぇ~
    • View Profile
« Reply #1114 on: November 07, 2010, 05:08:57 pm »

Thus the Hisoutensoku link.
That's the closest we're going to get to actual combat moves.

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1115 on: November 07, 2010, 07:35:28 pm »

Detect thoughts is of almost no value except in a limited visibility situation. See invisibility and mage armour are the enduring buffs, which are useful because they both work against ghosts. Magic missile is reliable against ghosts also, each missile is probably similar to a non-lethal shotgun round, it gets 5 missiles at once, which would be pretty much lethal to a normal human, it is also the spell of choice against ghosts. Its first reaction to danger is likely to be greater invisibility, which grants its opponent a brief chance to attack, but afterwards makes it pretty much impossible to see.

I think that its wide array of anti-ghost powers make this an easy win for the naga. Youmu Konpaku will go scouting with her phantom half, and it will die, which cannot possibly be healthy...
Vote (1) for the Urist scale!
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Urist has been forced to use a friend as fertilizer lately.
Read the First Post!

ein

• Bay Watcher
  • 勝利の女神はここよ~ 早く捕まえてぇ~
    • View Profile
« Reply #1116 on: November 07, 2010, 07:43:27 pm »

Two words: giant fucking snake.
It's not gonna be hard to spot.

And the phantom half is that marshmallow-looking thing.
It makes no sound and can easily hide behind trees or in the canopy.
Also, it can't die.
Youmu's physical half has to be destroyed.
It'll hurt like hell, but it won't actually injure her if the ghost gets blasted.

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #1117 on: November 07, 2010, 07:48:44 pm »

Snakes probably blend in in a jungle. Considering that other giant snakes live there too.

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
The Artist Formerly Known as Barbarossa TSG

ein

• Bay Watcher
  • 勝利の女神はここよ~ 早く捕まえてぇ~
    • View Profile
« Reply #1118 on: November 07, 2010, 07:51:07 pm »

Snakes blend to their environment.
Environment:     Temperate plains
It probably has the colourations of a garter snake, or something, which won't blend well in dense jungle.

ed boy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1119 on: November 07, 2010, 08:00:18 pm »

The phantom part is ethereal, so if it feels threatened, it can simply float into the ground away from the naga, and the naga won't be able to target it. Being etheral also gives it a very large array of methods for observing the naga sneakily.

Most likely, she would want to try and trick the naga into using up as many of its spells as possible before actually meeting it. How successful she would be is up for debate - the naga is by no means stupid, and I can't see it falling for the same trick twice.

In order for the naga to recharge its spells, though, it would need eight hours of rest safe from youmu, which really doubt it will be able to get.

I'm going to have to ask what powers the phantom half has, other than etherrealness, floating and telepathic link, though.

Snakes blend to their environment.
Environment:     Temperate plains
It probably has the colourations of a garter snake, or something, which won't blend well in dense jungle.
According to google images, this is what a guardian naga looks like:

ein

• Bay Watcher
  • 勝利の女神はここよ~ 早く捕まえてぇ~
    • View Profile
« Reply #1120 on: November 07, 2010, 08:02:58 pm »

One of Youmu's attacks involves sending Myon flying at high velocity into an opponent.
It's really short range, though, probably ~20ft.
And it can send out little missile attacks that have a range of about 2 or 3 feet.

V-Norrec

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1121 on: November 07, 2010, 08:09:14 pm »

No way that thing is being stealthy >.>  I think we can say, just the very nature of fighting a half phantom enemy that Youmu will get the first attack.  Also, if the phantom half can "think" by keeping that half in the Naga's range at all time Youmu would be effectively blinding it from detecting thoughts reducing it to only natural senses.

Also, if I remember correctly, wasn't magic missile weak?  How is one shot of that going to kill a person?

CJ1145

• Bay Watcher
  • *Insert Meme Here*
    • View Profile
« Reply #1122 on: November 07, 2010, 09:51:36 pm »

Also, if I remember correctly, wasn't magic missile weak?  How is one shot of that going to kill a person?

It won't, but if it's 9th caster level and uses magic missile five times, you're talking less one shot and more like 30 shots. None of which can miss. And I don't know if you've ever been pelted by thirty exploding rocks, but I doubt you'd have survived if you did.
This being Homestuck, I'm not sure whether that's post-scratch Rose or Vriska with a wig.

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1123 on: November 07, 2010, 10:20:24 pm »

The spirit naga looks like this:
Quote from: Monster Manual
This beautiful creature looks like a snake with a human face and green-gold scales. A golden frill runs from the top of its head to he tip of its tail. The sweet scent of flowers accompanies the creature.
The picture above looks like a miniature, bear in mind that the body is probably identical to a snake, so bear in mind that artistic flaws may result in a less stealthy appearance. it may look garish, but snakes that size do hide. Having said that, its hide and move silently scores are pathetic as far as I can tell, so it probably isn't going to get many points there, but finding people on an island this size is more about picking up their trail than seeing them directly. Having said that, it is quite capable at detection, and should be by no means easy to sneak up on.

I am calling shenanigans on a half invulnerable character. Magic missiles specifically interact with things that do not have physical manifestations, so just because tit can't be hurt by its normal playmates doesn't mean that the contestants in this tournament have the same limitations. At the very least it should be possible to completely disable the ghost for a time. As for hiding in the ground, if it wants to see anything it will need to come out.

It can travel at 400feet a minute while attacking, 800 while dodging, and 1600 under ideal circumstances, if it casts expeditious retreat it can increase that to 700, 1400, and 2800 respectively. Which is hopefully a lot, I don't really get your crazy units... Suffice it to say that it can turn invisible and cover a lot of ground if it needs to make an escape. It is very effective at recovering from injuries. It is rather long and thin and can probably reach resting places in the canopy and/or cliffs that its opponent's physical form cannot, which again raises the issue of them being half-invulnerable.

If it meets her physical body then it can turn invisible, increase its speed, and wear her down by spitting venom, or resorting to magic missiles if she proves too agile to hit.
Vote (1) for the Urist scale!
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Urist has been forced to use a friend as fertilizer lately.
Read the First Post!

ed boy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1124 on: November 08, 2010, 12:19:47 pm »

I'm going to rule that the spirit form is vulnerable to magical attacks (like the magic missile spell), but not vulnerable to mundane attacks (like the poison). I'm also going to rule that if the spirit form gets attacked, then, although it won't harm youmu, it will disrupt the mental link between the two for a while (depending on the violence of the attack), and possibly even disrupt its form temporarily.

As for the speeds you listed: how sustainable are those? wolfram alpha lists the average human walking speed as being close enough to 400 feet/minute, which is your attacking speed listed.
Pages: 1 ... 73 74 [75] 76 77 ... 98