Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 72 73 [74] 75 76 ... 98

Author Topic: Fight to the death the second: Round two  (Read 83972 times)

CJ1145

• Bay Watcher
  • *Insert Meme Here*
    • View Profile
Re: Fight to the death the second: Round two: Youmu VS A guardian naga
« Reply #1095 on: November 07, 2010, 03:12:31 pm »

I notice it has Magic Missile. Are these normal, vaguely unpleasant missiles, or Nernas-brand insta-death homing missiles?
This being Homestuck, I'm not sure whether that's post-scratch Rose or Vriska with a wig.

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #1096 on: November 07, 2010, 03:32:26 pm »

I don't think naga get any metamagic.

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
The Artist Formerly Known as Barbarossa TSG

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #1097 on: November 07, 2010, 03:33:49 pm »

I think all Magic Missiles are homing, by design. Well, at least in the rulesets I know of.

But, essentially, all you have to do to prevent most of its dangerousness is restrain it. A lot of those spells have somatic components, and something like a well-aimed wad of glue (or tar) could seriously mess up a lot of spells with verbal components, not to mention the venomous spit attack. The Guardian Naga's venom, btw, causes sickness, but not weakness. It could reasonably be defeated by Razor, with some luck, but I don't think he'll make it past the round against Roland...
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

HailFire

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1098 on: November 07, 2010, 03:43:05 pm »

• If any of the following happen to the naga while it is casting a spell, there is a chance for the casting to be interrupted and lost. The list includes, but is not limited to:
    • Injury
    • Affected by another spell
    • Injury
    • Undergoing violent motion (e.g. on a running horse)
    • Violent weather (extreme weather, like torrential rain)
  • The spells have verbal and somatic compenents. If the naga cannot speak or cannot move, then it cannot cast spells.

You'll notice that the naga also has +19 to it's concentration check.

Although a fully buffed naga would be completely overpowering, it cannot maintain is buffs for more than around five minutes, and refreshing them would limit its attack potential in that time.

Most of them also only take a few seconds to employ. How long does it really take to kill someone once you've got all those buffs on?

Keep in mind also that the naga is not sneaky at all - the stats given do not list any ranks in hide or move silently. Even if it were to somehow sneak up on someone, casting a spell would reveal themselves, as the spells have a verbal component.

It doesn't need to really move around very much- when it picks up it's unaware target, it can use noises to lure it closer, and it's got 60ft of notice to set up it's buffs. All it has to do to beat basically anyone is get them close enough to grapple.

I think all Magic Missiles are homing, by design. Well, at least in the rulesets I know of.

But, essentially, all you have to do to prevent most of its dangerousness is restrain it. A lot of those spells have somatic components, and something like a well-aimed wad of glue (or tar) could seriously mess up a lot of spells with verbal components, not to mention the venomous spit attack. The Guardian Naga's venom, btw, causes sickness, but not weakness. It could reasonably be defeated by Razor, with some luck, but I don't think he'll make it past the round against Roland...

How are you going to restrain a 20ft 500lb giant snake woman?

Also, all the naga'd have to do to beat Razor is hit his omniglove with a lightning bolt to either destroy it or short it out.

ED:Also, the poison hits your Con; doesn't that mean an immediate loss of HP/Fort bonus?
« Last Edit: November 07, 2010, 03:45:50 pm by HailFire »
[22:59] <apotheoseGrifter> COMMIT SUDOKU ALL NIGHT LONG FUCK YEAH
[18:14] <The_Gamemaster> I am here.
[18:14] <The_Gamemaster> I am always here.
[18:15] <The_Gamemaster> I have always been here, and I always will be here. I am the alpha and the omega, the beginning and the end.

CJ1145

• Bay Watcher
  • *Insert Meme Here*
    • View Profile
« Reply #1099 on: November 07, 2010, 03:51:50 pm »

Okay, we need to translate the Naga's abilities, because no way are we doing this all by DnD rules.
This being Homestuck, I'm not sure whether that's post-scratch Rose or Vriska with a wig.

V-Norrec

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1100 on: November 07, 2010, 03:54:34 pm »

Okay, we need to translate the Naga's abilities, because no way are we doing this all by DnD rules.
agreed

FuzzyZergling

• Bay Watcher
  • Zergin' erry day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1101 on: November 07, 2010, 03:54:47 pm »

What I'm getting is that it's a psychic, magic-flinging, poison-spitting giant snake-person.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #1102 on: November 07, 2010, 04:09:29 pm »

The poison means you'll get knocked out easier, but you'll hit just as hard.

Against lightning, his equipment would be hardened by this point, as he would be working to counter the effect of a possible EMP attack. The poison wouldn't affect him either because of the modified heatsuit/armor. Jetpack allows him to stay out of grapple range, and apply any of the large variety of restraining devices, interrupting whatever the naga is casting. Tarpedoes and the cement launcher would effectively fumble all spells with verbal components, as the naga would be unable to speak if its mouth is full of tar or cement. One-two bola missiles to pin it down, then move in and cut its head off with the buzzsaw.

Unfortunately, even if it's a viable strategy (it's likely subject to debate) for Razor, he's not likely to make it against Roland, so he won't fight the Naga. His only advantages would be the scanner and the jetpack, and he wouldn't be able to surprise Roland with just those.
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

lemon10

• Bay Watcher
  • Citrus Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #1103 on: November 07, 2010, 04:27:15 pm »

erm... he isn't up vs razor right now, so its a bit early to start having them fight. Also, razor doesn't get a scanner, and i doubt that he would wear the armor.

However does anyone know anything useful (eg. statistics, powers) about the person who the naga is up against, because looking at her wiki page, all the info i got was, she's part ghost and is good at swords, and if thats all we know i think we can declare the naga a winner because he can beat swords, and hurt her as a ghost.

And paul would kick the naga's ass.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2010, 04:29:11 pm by lemon10 »
And with a mighty leap, the evil Conservative flies through the window, escaping our heroes once again!
Because the solution to not being able to control your dakka is MOAR DAKKA.

That's it. We've finally crossed over and become the nation of Da Orky Boyz.

CJ1145

• Bay Watcher
  • *Insert Meme Here*
    • View Profile
« Reply #1104 on: November 07, 2010, 04:29:10 pm »

We are talking about Razor vs Naga because we know the Naga will beat this ghost rabbit thing. Who the hell submitted her anyway?

Also, the armor thing stops now. We're not discussing anything involving what Razor will and will not do. And when I say "we", I mean "lemon".

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #1105 on: November 07, 2010, 04:33:59 pm »

it's got 60ft of notice to set up it's buffs.
Considering that its spells take 6 seconds each, I'm pretty sure Youmu could reach it before it got too powerful. As a reasonably-okay high school runner, I can traverse 100 meters in 13 seconds. That's 300 feet. A couple seconds' notice won't do much for the Naga.

we know the Naga will beat this ghost rabbit thing.
I know that converting to D&D is 'bad' for this contest, but I'm pretty sure that she'd be a Spectral Anthropomorphic Rabbit with a few levels in Ninja. That's gotta give some pretty good reflex saves, not to mention her incorporeality makes the spells have only a 50% hit chance.

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
The Artist Formerly Known as Barbarossa TSG

CJ1145

• Bay Watcher
  • *Insert Meme Here*
    • View Profile
« Reply #1106 on: November 07, 2010, 04:39:30 pm »

I know that converting to D&D is 'bad' for this contest, but I'm pretty sure that she'd be a Spectral Anthropomorphic Rabbit with a few levels in Ninja. That's gotta give some pretty good reflex saves, not to mention her incorporeality makes the spells have only a 50% hit chance.

Well, 50% chance is better than no chance that some people would have. Plus some of the spells the naga uses can't be fully dodged, and would do damage no matter how good her reflexes are.

HailFire

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1107 on: November 07, 2010, 04:41:49 pm »

Wait, what?

Youmu isn't a rabbit. Do you people even bother to look at the links people provide for contestants?
[22:59] <apotheoseGrifter> COMMIT SUDOKU ALL NIGHT LONG FUCK YEAH
[18:14] <The_Gamemaster> I am here.
[18:14] <The_Gamemaster> I am always here.
[18:15] <The_Gamemaster> I have always been here, and I always will be here. I am the alpha and the omega, the beginning and the end.

CJ1145

• Bay Watcher
  • *Insert Meme Here*
    • View Profile
« Reply #1108 on: November 07, 2010, 04:43:19 pm »

Wait, what?

Youmu isn't a rabbit. Do you people even bother to look at the links people provide for contestants?

Oh wait, I'm sorry. I appear to have mistaken her for that OTHER retarded rabbit girl that somebody submitted. And to be honest, if the Alien killed that thing then this girl stands no chance against a Naga.

lemon10

• Bay Watcher
  • Citrus Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #1109 on: November 07, 2010, 04:49:19 pm »

Ugh, actually i think the ghost girl would win. quote from wikipedia:
"Her talents are swordsmanship and speed. In the games, she is characterized by creating powerful danmaku with her sword slashes, and slowing time (this is not due to magic as one might expect, but because of time slowing around her body as she goes past at unimaginable speeds). "
That means that she is able to go at relitivistic speeds, at 90% of the speed of light (about 270000 meters per second) she would experience about 50% time dialation. I think that its pretty fair to say that she would be able to basically teleport to and kill the naga in one hit without any trouble.

And as such im calling for her disqualification.
And with a mighty leap, the evil Conservative flies through the window, escaping our heroes once again!
Because the solution to not being able to control your dakka is MOAR DAKKA.

That's it. We've finally crossed over and become the nation of Da Orky Boyz.
Pages: 1 ... 72 73 [74] 75 76 ... 98