Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 57 58 [59] 60 61 ... 98

Author Topic: Fight to the death the second: Round two  (Read 84107 times)

FuzzyZergling

• Bay Watcher
  • Zergin' erry day.
    • View Profile
Re: Fight to the death the second: Round two: Roland Deschain VS Static
« Reply #870 on: November 01, 2010, 08:11:42 pm »

Well, we know Roland could track the Man in Black as he fled across the desert (and the Gunslinger followed), be we don't usually see him operating in forested areas.

Can anyone remember if he did any tracking in the Shardik forest?

CJ1145

• Bay Watcher
  • *Insert Meme Here*
    • View Profile
« Reply #871 on: November 01, 2010, 08:16:08 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Also, Roland would just wait till static lands (since he can't fly forever and he has to recharge), then shoot him when he isn't flying and is resting since he would be able to figure out where he is by the noise of his landing and watching him go down.
And although i don't know about static, i know that roland is a good tracker, i suspect that static is a terrible one, and would have trouble finding roland first.
and finally, i doubt that static would ever be able to find roland from the air due to the apparently omnipresent tree coverage.

The island they're on is pretty huge lenon. Even when Static has to recharge, there's no guarantee that Roland will even be near him. Even if he does spot him, there's no reason to believe he'd be able to keep up with a flyer. I don't know a lot about Roland, but if he is a tracker I'd imagine that means following prints, not following a trail of sparks through a canopy he can't see through.

If Static can't spot Roland, he'd just fly a bit lower. He still has the advantage because of all the tree trunks potentially blocking shots aimed towards him. Static is a hero, he's going to have somewhat good eyesight just on account of constantly watching out for criminals or wrongdoing. Unless someone can show me a passage of the book where Roland is shown to be a master of ambushes, I will have trouble believing that he can stay hidden on account of his coat color.
This being Homestuck, I'm not sure whether that's post-scratch Rose or Vriska with a wig.

FuzzyZergling

• Bay Watcher
  • Zergin' erry day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #872 on: November 01, 2010, 08:33:25 pm »

I believe that he has a better chanceof spotting Static before Static spots him.
I believe this due to the combination of Statics noticeable mode of transportation, and flashy outfit.

Actually, scratch the outfit. Being given time to prepare, Static will probably be wearing clothes appropriate to a forest/island setting.

Also, CJ and lemon, could you guys take this somewhere else, I mean like, PM each other or something instead of fighting it out here?

lemon10

• Bay Watcher
  • Citrus Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #873 on: November 01, 2010, 08:37:56 pm »

Staying hidden especially on a huge island forest is pretty easy, especially if your opponent doesn't know where you are and is visibly obvious. example, play hide and seek with someone on a large plot of land, if they want to stay hidden you wont find them for a long time (especially if they know where you are first), and if they know where you are unless you got crazy tracking/super sense (like alien), on a island this size doubt you would ever be able to find them.
On the flip side i think its pretty easy to find someone whose a) loud, b) flies and c) is flashing crazily
yeah the island is big, but i think roland would be able to figure out where static landed from where he was seen last

and yeah static could fly lower, but roland could just hide behind a tree/in a bush and not be seen, and be able to take a shot if he felt like it.

Don't think that static would change his outfit, i suppose he could, but as a superhero they kinda keep with their outfit if possible, even if it would be a disadvantage.

And here is my response to cj's respone to me:
Here is 2 quotes you said from 2 pages or so ago
Static goes through a whole super-heroing career and never receives a gunshot wound that's capable of crippling his physical capabilities. That is the definition of lucky. But even luck runs out, there has to be something besides that or else he'd be dead a hundred times over.
So instead let's think about this this logically: Metal weapons and bullets versus a person who can magnetize and move metal at will.
Now you did sorta say that he can deflect bullets, partially because he hasn't been shot yet. and what i said, was what your argument sounded like to me, even though you say that it means something different. and there aren't really "tricks" not to get shot, i suppose you can run and dodge ect. but if a bullet is heading at your chest, tricks won't really work.

Also, im not trolling if your wondering (although i suppose if i was, saying that wouldn't mean anything at all). also, i haven't really been insulting cj, cj is the one on the offense
And with a mighty leap, the evil Conservative flies through the window, escaping our heroes once again!
Because the solution to not being able to control your dakka is MOAR DAKKA.

That's it. We've finally crossed over and become the nation of Da Orky Boyz.

CJ1145

• Bay Watcher
  • *Insert Meme Here*
    • View Profile
« Reply #874 on: November 01, 2010, 08:51:23 pm »

Staying hidden especially on a huge island forest is pretty easy, especially if your opponent doesn't know where you are and is visibly obvious. example, play hide and seek with someone on a large plot of land, if they want to stay hidden you wont find them for a long time (especially if they know where you are first), and if they know where you are unless you got crazy tracking/super sense (like alien), on a island this size doubt you would ever be able to find them.
On the flip side i think its pretty easy to find someone whose a) loud, b) flies and c) is flashing crazily
yeah the island is big, but i think roland would be able to figure out where static landed from where he was seen last
Well if this plot of land happens to be a thick jungle, the ease of tracking people that are moving is going to go down.

Another thing I want to know is why you keep bringing Static's noise-making into it. He's already fought a ninja, so by now I think he'd have learned the value of quiet. And for that matter, if nobody's around to hear him why would he even be talking as he's flying around?

and yeah static could fly lower, but roland could just hide behind a tree/in a bush and not be seen, and be able to take a shot if he felt like it.
He'd have to be able to point the gun at Static, which is enough to get him spotted if he's unlucky.

Another question of mine: What is the extent of Roland's aim? Superhuman is one thing, but you guys are treating it like "If Roland sees Static, he wins." It's like he can't miss, and that's bugging me. Even the best sniper would be lucky to snipe a moving target at Static's speed and get a fatal blow.

Don't think that static would change his outfit, i suppose he could, but as a superhero they kinda keep with their outfit if possible, even if it would be a disadvantage.
Most people aren't in a position to need a costume change. I mean, Green Lantern goes into battle with a portable super-shield, Superman's invincible, and Batman's already pretty good at blending in. Somebody who's at serious risk of getting shot, like Static, would probably be a bit smarter about that.

And here is my response to cj's respone to me:
Here is 2 quotes you said from 2 pages or so ago
Static goes through a whole super-heroing career and never receives a gunshot wound that's capable of crippling his physical capabilities. That is the definition of lucky. But even luck runs out, there has to be something besides that or else he'd be dead a hundred times over.
So instead let's think about this this logically: Metal weapons and bullets versus a person who can magnetize and move metal at will.
Now you did sorta say that he can deflect bullets, partially because he hasn't been shot yet. and what i said, was what your argument sounded like to me, even though you say that it means something different. and there aren't really "tricks" not to get shot, i suppose you can run and dodge ect. but if a bullet is heading at your chest, tricks won't really work.
Well my problem with what you said is you clung to that one quote and acted like Static deflecting bullets was the key to my strategy. It's not. It's just that whatever you want to call it, skill luck or a trick, Static's doing something to keep himself alive. Since his powers make it possible, stopping bullets and yanking guns seems like a pretty good idea to me.

Also, im not trolling if your wondering (although i suppose if i was, saying that wouldn't mean anything at all). also, i haven't really been insulting cj, cj is the one on the offense
I'm not on the offense, I'm responding to your own posts. I can't go on the offense if I'm the second person in the conversation. If you're not passively baiting me, then you're just naive. Either way, I'd appreciate it if you'd work harder at being polite instead of this weird sarcastic pity-mongering it feels like you're going for now.

And nobody responded to the net theory. I believe the net theory has merit.
This being Homestuck, I'm not sure whether that's post-scratch Rose or Vriska with a wig.

FuzzyZergling

• Bay Watcher
  • Zergin' erry day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #875 on: November 01, 2010, 09:06:53 pm »

Another question of mine: What is the extent of Roland's aim? Superhuman is one thing, but you guys are treating it like "If Roland sees Static, he wins." It's like he can't miss, and that's bugging me. Even the best sniper would be lucky to snipe a moving target at Static's speed and get a fatal blow.
I believe that the limit of a "guaranteed shot" for Roland would be 15 meters if surprised, 20 if he has to act quickly, and over 40 if he has time to aim properly.
This is just speculation on my part though.

In one book, a Gunslinger-level person shoots an antenna dish off of a gigantic bear cyborg.
If I remember correctly, the dish was about two feet across, and the bear was perhaps as large as 50 meters tall.

lemon10

• Bay Watcher
  • Citrus Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #876 on: November 01, 2010, 09:26:30 pm »

And nobody responded to the net theory. I believe the net theory has merit.
On the net theory, if he has used it before he could, if he hasn't then he probably couldn't, i didn't respond because i don't no anything about static. looking at his power list i would say mabey, but it would drain his powers fast, so it would be kinda pointless unless he knew his enemy was close bye and that his enemy used metal weapons. and if he could see his enemy a beam would probably be the better choice anyway.

He's REALLY GOOD, but aside from that i'm not quite sure haven't read any of the books for a while, i think he would be able to hit a target moving in a straight line, even if it is moving pretty  fast (and static wouldn't be racing along if he is trying to find someone either), i think he would be able to get both of his first two hits to hit assuming that static is fairly close, but im not sure if he would be able to get headshots (ill just go with fuzzy zergling's assumptions on this one)

Well my problem with what you said is you clung to that one quote and acted like Static deflecting bullets was the key to my strategy. It's not. It's just that whatever you want to call it, skill luck or a trick, Static's doing something to keep himself alive. Since his powers make it possible, stopping bullets and yanking guns seems like a pretty good idea to me.
Yeah i think he could yank a gun out of rolands hands (question though, does all his magnet using have that purple beam effect?), as for dodging, bullets move really fast, faster then someone can realistically dodge or parry, yeah you could dodge where the bullet is aiming, but a) roland could compensate for that and b) the first two shots wouldn't be noticed, and as such couldn't be dodged or manipulated.
however using his magnet power on the bullets no, if he could generate a anti-bullet sheild (which is big enough power to at least get a mention on his wiki page i think), it would be game over for roland, however deflecting individual bullets would be impossible because they move too fast. so again, the first two shots would be free irregardless before he gets the sheild up (which i suspect if he did have he would leave off while flying because of the power consumption)

And by on the offense, i meant getting angry and calling me a troll, getting angry at other people ectera, however it would be good if this didn't degenerate into a flame war, so ill try to be nicer. also, i'm not quite sure what you're referring to about my "weird sarcastic pity-mongering"
« Last Edit: November 01, 2010, 09:36:10 pm by lemon10 »
And with a mighty leap, the evil Conservative flies through the window, escaping our heroes once again!
Because the solution to not being able to control your dakka is MOAR DAKKA.

That's it. We've finally crossed over and become the nation of Da Orky Boyz.

dragonshardz

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:PONY:ACCEPTABLE]
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #877 on: November 02, 2010, 02:38:06 am »

True, but you seem to think that Static's disadvantage will be family comedy movie levels of incompetence. There may be some shock in adjusting, but keep in mind that Static has already fought on the island once. He most likely knows the basic layout, and the techniques that work best there; and if he were proactive at the moment would have learned a few tricks about the place he could exploit later.

I'm not assuming comedic levels of incompetence, - Static's a genius-level intellect (see the episode in the first season of the cartoon where he gets accepted to the smart-kids school) - but it is going to be a bit of a shock to realize that his usual tactics just won't cut it, and unlike the cartoons, he may not have much time to adjust his tactics.

I'd analyze Roland as well, but I know nothing about him and don't feel like looking it up right now.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #878 on: November 02, 2010, 03:28:22 am »

From what I gathered on Roland, he's two things: a master survivalist, and an incredibly good, very very fast shooter. Since this island strips everyone of Plot Armor, Static will disappointingly easily fall to a good surprise bullet. His only defence is offence - and he's defenceless as long as he doesn't know where the opponent is. Eventually, Roland will track him down, and will shoot first.
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

ed boy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #879 on: November 02, 2010, 04:17:57 am »

Static is not stupid. He would wear more appropriate civillian clothes as opposed to his uniform. That may even prevent him from being easily recognized as static, since any research done in his world would feature the costume as an identifying mark.

Similarly, If he flies overhead, he won't be able to see through the canopy easily, and in the parts where he can see through it'll be a lot harder to spot someone on the ground than it will be for someone on the ground to spot him. Flying overhead would put him at a disadvantage, and he would most likely continue on foot.

On foot, however, I can't see him winning. Roland is simply much better at hiding and tracking, and he would eventually sneak up on static and shoot him.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #880 on: November 02, 2010, 04:49:57 am »

And the winner is!....?

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."

Pandarsenic

• Bay Watcher
  • FABULOUS Gunslinger
    • View Profile
« Reply #881 on: November 02, 2010, 04:50:34 am »

Yeah, unless Static has AoE Pewpew, he won't win :I
KARATE CHOP TO THE SOUL
Your bone is the best Pandar honey. The best.
YOUR BONE IS THE BEST PANDAR
[Cheeetar] Pandar doesn't have issues, he has style.
Fuck off, you fucking fucker-fuck :I

ed boy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #882 on: November 02, 2010, 04:54:04 am »

And the winner is!....?
I don't like to call it straight away, I prefer to give it time so anybody who has a good counterargument can present it.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #883 on: November 02, 2010, 05:07:48 am »

Well, the only way for Static to win would be to preemptively strafe the whole island with lightnings. Which may be beyond his power, would create a massive forest fire, and doesn't seem to be Static's modus operandi for any kind of situation anyway. I don't particularly know either of the participants, so I don't particularly care which wins, and I would like to find a good probable way for Static to fight back, but his loss seems to be inevitable by this point.

Pandarsenic

• Bay Watcher
  • FABULOUS Gunslinger
    • View Profile
« Reply #884 on: November 02, 2010, 06:50:44 am »

Starting a large-scale fire might work, actually. However, I suspect the island's humidity and the moisture of the plants might be problematic.
KARATE CHOP TO THE SOUL
Your bone is the best Pandar honey. The best.
YOUR BONE IS THE BEST PANDAR
[Cheeetar] Pandar doesn't have issues, he has style.
Fuck off, you fucking fucker-fuck :I
Pages: 1 ... 57 58 [59] 60 61 ... 98