Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 50 51 [52] 53 54 ... 98

Author Topic: Fight to the death the second: Round two  (Read 84010 times)

lemon10

• Bay Watcher
  • Citrus Master
    • View Profile
Re: Fight to the death the second: Round one: Paul Atreides VS Ezio Auditore
« Reply #765 on: October 29, 2010, 08:01:12 am »

well, practical information, random tales and myths would be just as useless, for instance while information on lets say, merlin is easily available today, if you were gonna fight merlin, you would be unable to find anything  concrete that you would be able to rely on, some of what you would find would be exaggerations or too vauge, and you would  miss some of his abilities, making what you learned at best useless and at worse dangerous because you would believe the wrong thing (eg. you learn lightning makes merlin explode, when it really makes him 10 times as powerful).
And with a mighty leap, the evil Conservative flies through the window, escaping our heroes once again!
Because the solution to not being able to control your dakka is MOAR DAKKA.

That's it. We've finally crossed over and become the nation of Da Orky Boyz.

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #766 on: October 29, 2010, 10:06:13 am »

A mentat could probably glean a great deal from rumours and speculation. Also, Paul is famous for what he did on Dune, but his homeworld is not exactly bereft of flora...
Vote (1) for the Urist scale!
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Urist has been forced to use a friend as fertilizer lately.
Read the First Post!

Pandarsenic

• Bay Watcher
  • FABULOUS Gunslinger
    • View Profile
« Reply #767 on: October 29, 2010, 11:45:01 am »

Uh, isn't Paul thought to be dead by the general public at that point? Everyone assumes he can't have survived that long in the dessert.

Also, Paul isn't a Bene Gesserit member (since he's male) which means his training is fairly unlikely to be mentioned by anyone but someone who knows him personally telling it to someone they trust.

A mentat could probably glean a great deal from rumours and speculation. Also, Paul is famous for what he did on Dune, but his homeworld is not exactly bereft of flora...
Didn't think about this until he mentioned it but RAM is totally right. That's exact the sort of thing that gets done within a Mentat's field of work.
KARATE CHOP TO THE SOUL
Your bone is the best Pandar honey. The best.
YOUR BONE IS THE BEST PANDAR
[Cheeetar] Pandar doesn't have issues, he has style.
Fuck off, you fucking fucker-fuck :I

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #768 on: October 29, 2010, 12:16:35 pm »

A Mentat's what, superhuman analytical capability, right? Then yeah, Paul would be able to piece together a fairly accurate picture of all of his enemies' abilities, not to mention work out the most appropriate array of gear that'd let him perform adequately against all possible opponents. I'm not sure if it includes perfect memory too though, but in any case he'd probably be able to quickly determine the best course of action based on the data he has on the opponent. Given that edge against an opponent whose primary strength is stealth, Paul is likely to win because he'll keep alert at all times, expecting an ambush.
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

CJ1145

• Bay Watcher
  • *Insert Meme Here*
    • View Profile
« Reply #769 on: October 29, 2010, 01:00:50 pm »

So, before I jump in on this, is that damn "You can't touch me, I can beat you to my heart's content" shield still considered fair game?
This being Homestuck, I'm not sure whether that's post-scratch Rose or Vriska with a wig.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #770 on: October 29, 2010, 01:16:00 pm »

I think it's much less powerful than that, it's nowhere near like invulnerability. All it'd take to bring its wearer down is a good hug by an armored wrestler. Our assassin contender here seems like a good option for that kind of thing - his own armor will withstand a few blows while he gets through the shield and gets a chance to take Paul out with any of the tricks up his sleeves.
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Pandarsenic

• Bay Watcher
  • FABULOUS Gunslinger
    • View Profile
« Reply #771 on: October 29, 2010, 01:16:20 pm »

Sean: Yes, Mentats have perfect memory.

Being a Mentat is like being the computer and the programmer at the same time.

CJ1445, nobody has discussed anything like that, unless you're being derp about the Holtzmann Shields, which deflect high-velocity objects. Knowing how the Holtzmann Shield works would definitely be one thing I'd expect to show up in Ezio's hour of research, unless he tunnel-visions his research on Paul.
KARATE CHOP TO THE SOUL

CJ1145

• Bay Watcher
  • *Insert Meme Here*
    • View Profile
« Reply #772 on: October 29, 2010, 01:27:25 pm »

Sean: Yes, Mentats have perfect memory.

Being a Mentat is like being the computer and the programmer at the same time.

CJ1445, nobody has discussed anything like that, unless you're being derp about the Holtzmann Shields, which deflect high-velocity objects. Knowing how the Holtzmann Shield works would definitely be one thing I'd expect to show up in Ezio's hour of research, unless he tunnel-visions his research on Paul.

Hm, you have a point. To be fair, I only typed that short tidbit because I was low on time. My computer is in its death throes, you see, and I wanted to get in a quick message in case I couldn't find a laptop or something.

I suppose the easiest way to defeat Paul would be to hug him. And then a quick snikt from either of his hidden blades.
This being Homestuck, I'm not sure whether that's post-scratch Rose or Vriska with a wig.

Virex

• Bay Watcher
  • Subjects interest attracted. Annalyses pending...
    • View Profile
« Reply #773 on: October 29, 2010, 02:34:18 pm »

So, before I jump in on this, is that damn "You can't touch me, I can beat you to my heart's content" shield still considered fair game?
The pieces of Eden are already prohibited by word of the game master if that's what you're aiming at.
Edit: Oh you're talking about Holtzman shields. Yeah you can get trough one fairly easily if you know what you're doing.

CJ1145

• Bay Watcher
  • *Insert Meme Here*
    • View Profile
« Reply #774 on: October 29, 2010, 04:21:28 pm »

The pieces of Eden are already prohibited by word of the game master if that's what you're aiming at.
Edit: Oh you're talking about Holtzman shields. Yeah you can get trough one fairly easily if you know what you're doing.
Well how easy is it to know what you're doing?

Can it be overloaded with electricty?
Can it be overcome by sheer force?
Don't most people have to be trained in a specific fighting style just to circumvent the shields?

If I may cite the last time a Holtzman shield user was in this competition, the only way we seemed to figure he could be killed was by detonating a bomb at his feet. And people STILL disputed that. Am I the only one who seriously thinks they're overpowered?

HailFire

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #775 on: October 29, 2010, 04:33:22 pm »

Well how easy is it to know what you're doing?

Can it be overloaded with electricty?
Can it be overcome by sheer force?
Don't most people have to be trained in a specific fighting style just to circumvent the shields?

If I may cite the last time a Holtzman shield user was in this competition, the only way we seemed to figure he could be killed was by detonating a bomb at his feet. And people STILL disputed that. Am I the only one who seriously thinks they're overpowered?

No, you're not.  :-\

Also, more specifically, the only way we figured the Punisher could kill Idaho was (iirc) by lobbing firebombs at him so that the heat and smoke would force him to drop the shield to breathe (at which point the Punisher could spray the area with gunfire). If Paul has metabolism control, even that won't work on him.

As for electricity and force- yes, but only in gratuitous quantities- think railguns and nuclear weapons, which our contestants won't possess. The only contestant I can see (at an admittedly cursory examination) that obviously stands a chance against this guy is Static.

Addendum: Sauron, Kikadia, or Armstrong might be able to break one, depending on exactly how high their super-strength is, but this seems doubtful (They'd be better off trying to restrain him and press a fist through his throat). Youmu's sword techniques allow her to (theoretically) move up to a quarter of the speed of light, which might transfer enough energy to collapse the shield, but it requires a soft target that she can easily slice through when moving that fast-- impact with a Holtzman shield at that speed would probably kill her outright. Her phantom half could also penetrate the shield (being incorporeal, it doesn't interact with the shield at all), but making him feel chilly isn't really an effective weapon (since it couldn't deliver attacks inside the shield, it being skin-tight- and he could even ignore that with metabolism control).
« Last Edit: October 29, 2010, 05:00:45 pm by HailFire »
[22:59] <apotheoseGrifter> COMMIT SUDOKU ALL NIGHT LONG FUCK YEAH
[18:14] <The_Gamemaster> I am here.
[18:14] <The_Gamemaster> I am always here.
[18:15] <The_Gamemaster> I have always been here, and I always will be here. I am the alpha and the omega, the beginning and the end.

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #776 on: October 29, 2010, 04:57:10 pm »

Paul started out as an aristocratic, martial artist, savant prince, and went on to become an all-knowing emperor of everything. I am not entirely certain that the term Mary Sue is inappropriate...
Vote (1) for the Urist scale!
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Urist has been forced to use a friend as fertilizer lately.
Read the First Post!

CJ1145

• Bay Watcher
  • *Insert Meme Here*
    • View Profile
« Reply #777 on: October 29, 2010, 05:05:10 pm »

Paul started out as an aristocratic, martial artist, savant prince, and went on to become an all-knowing emperor of everything. I am not entirely certain that the term Mary Sue is inappropriate...

It's very inappropriate. You're thinking of Marty Stu.

HailFire

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #778 on: October 29, 2010, 05:06:27 pm »

It's very inappropriate. You're thinking of Marty Stu.

I thought the appropriate term was Gary Sue/Stu? But I digress.

This is why I'm suggesting revisions to the screening procedure.  ::)
[22:59] <apotheoseGrifter> COMMIT SUDOKU ALL NIGHT LONG FUCK YEAH
[18:14] <The_Gamemaster> I am here.
[18:14] <The_Gamemaster> I am always here.
[18:15] <The_Gamemaster> I have always been here, and I always will be here. I am the alpha and the omega, the beginning and the end.

Pandarsenic

• Bay Watcher
  • FABULOUS Gunslinger
    • View Profile
« Reply #779 on: October 29, 2010, 05:18:27 pm »

He's also the product of someone defying the Bene Gesserit attempt to create the Kwisatz Haderach (an omniscient being who could select whatever future he desired from infinite possibilities) who only too late realizes he's incited the largest genocide in human history and is unable/unwilling to do what has to be done to stop humanity from stagnating and collapsing, instead leaving that responsibility to his son.

So yeah.

Ninja'd: Oh, yes, Paul is indubitably too powerful for this competition. I'm pretty sure he could even give Captain Broken a run for his money, if each knew the other's capabilities beforehand.
KARATE CHOP TO THE SOUL
Pages: 1 ... 50 51 [52] 53 54 ... 98