Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 34 35 [36] 37 38 ... 98

Author Topic: Fight to the death the second: Round two  (Read 83770 times)

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
Re: Fight to the death the second: Round one: Ozymandias VS Kikadia
« Reply #525 on: October 01, 2010, 12:13:09 am »

It doesn't take a million horsepower to crush an arm, and I feel that it was an exaggeration on the part of the writers rather than the character.
I don't know, but when he said that he could run at 900 kilometers per hour, he took off like a jet, so I wouldn't put it past him.

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
The Artist Formerly Known as Barbarossa TSG

ed boy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #526 on: October 01, 2010, 02:44:19 am »

He may be fast in a straight line, but in a situation like this acceleration and turning are going to be important.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #527 on: October 01, 2010, 02:59:51 am »

The Terminator was rejected. This guy wasn't. How exactly is this guy weaker than a Terminator?
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Iituem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #528 on: October 01, 2010, 03:30:15 am »

Ozymandias has one major advantage and only one advantage (otherwise he's pretty much just a fairly buff man); strategy and tactics.  Considering the game of Xanatos Chess/Roulette/52 Pick Up he played in Watchmen, we need to start taking into account his ability to predict the likely strategies of each of his potential 31 enemies (including his current opponent) and determine ambushes, traps and similar force multipliers to stack the odds heavily against his opponent.

Is it thus unfair that given Ozymandias' background, he might have appraised the tactics of each possible opponent beforehand?  If so, we need to know Kikadia's typical method of attack.

On the grounds that a guy with a shovel, some rope and a hell of a lot of ingenuity can take down a tank*, don't write Ozzie off just because he doesn't have Kikadia's brute strength.

*Chiefly through planning and pit traps - tanks aren't all-terrain vehicles, but you get what I mean.
Let's Play Arcanum: Of Steamworks & Magic Obscura! - The adventures of Jack Hunt, gentleman rogue.

No slaughtering every man, woman and child we see just to teleport to the moon.

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #529 on: October 01, 2010, 08:05:03 am »

The Terminator was rejected. This guy wasn't. How exactly is this guy weaker than a Terminator?
This guy has been defeated before. The terminator survived incredible amounts of damage and remained moving, due to being made of indestructium.

Ozymandias has one major advantage and only one advantage (otherwise he's pretty much just a fairly buff man); strategy and tactics.  Considering the game of Xanatos Chess/Roulette/52 Pick Up he played in Watchmen, we need to start taking into account his ability to predict the likely strategies of each of his potential 31 enemies (including his current opponent) and determine ambushes, traps and similar force multipliers to stack the odds heavily against his opponent.

Is it thus unfair that given Ozymandias' background, he might have appraised the tactics of each possible opponent beforehand?  If so, we need to know Kikadia's typical method of attack.
I'd imagine he'd have the same three days as everyone else to research, I'm not sure how quickly he can research, or learn Japanese. What kind of tactics could Ozzy use to defeat Kikaida? Pit traps can be ignored because of Kikaida's jump-boots, net traps can be torn through, and drowning traps can be ignored because Kikaida is a robot.

Est Sularus Oth Mithas

ed boy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #530 on: October 01, 2010, 08:22:41 am »

That's one of the issues with very smart characters. Ozzy is supposed to be the smartest human ever (IIRC), which means that he would be able to come up with stuff that we couldn't.

Also, how was kikadia beaten before?

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #531 on: October 01, 2010, 08:34:55 am »

He was essentially fighting himself, only the other himself was evil and had a minigun.

Est Sularus Oth Mithas

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #532 on: October 01, 2010, 08:47:25 am »

So he was basically gunned down by heavy automatic fire from an equally strong, fast, and durable machine. If that's the only way to take him down, I believe that's overpowered for the purpose of this competition. Does he have any sort of known weakness at all? Terminators can at least be gunned down by heavy fire from normal humans. T-800s in particular can't run too fast, and are much more likely to be outmanuevered.

Speaking of which, remind me to enter Robocop into the next competition. Just for laughs.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2010, 08:49:33 am by Sean Mirrsen »

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."

CJ1145

• Bay Watcher
  • *Insert Meme Here*
    • View Profile
« Reply #533 on: October 01, 2010, 09:12:17 am »

So he was basically gunned down by heavy automatic fire from an equally strong, fast, and durable machine. If that's the only way to take him down, I believe that's overpowered for the purpose of this competition. Does he have any sort of known weakness at all? Terminators can at least be gunned down by heavy fire from normal humans. T-800s in particular can't run too fast, and are much more likely to be outmanuevered.

Speaking of which, remind me to enter Robocop into the next competition. Just for laughs.

Both of those paragraphs appeal to me greatly. I'll be sure to bring in Judge Dredd to see who the better cop is.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2010, 06:34:12 pm by CJ1145 »
This being Homestuck, I'm not sure whether that's post-scratch Rose or Vriska with a wig.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #534 on: October 01, 2010, 09:39:53 am »

And Judge Dredd, too.

CJ1145

• Bay Watcher
  • *Insert Meme Here*
    • View Profile
« Reply #535 on: October 01, 2010, 06:34:39 pm »

And Judge Dredd, too.

Yeah, him. The fuck did I say? I'm pretty sure my drink was spiked.

EDIT: On the bright side, there really is a Judge Grimm. But he's not exactly fit for this contest.
This being Homestuck, I'm not sure whether that's post-scratch Rose or Vriska with a wig.

ed boy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #536 on: October 01, 2010, 06:43:54 pm »

It appears to me that kikadia is a bit overpowered for this contest. However, I am very hesitant to disqualify any of the contestants, and I would prefer that they overpowered abilities are removed from the rest of the character to bring the power levels to an acceptable level. Kikadia, however, does not seem to have any abilities which are easily seperated and removed from the rest to make it acceptably powerful. I am therefore asking for possible ways to accomplish this.

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #537 on: October 01, 2010, 07:41:21 pm »

I'm not saying that that's the only way to beat him, I'm saying that's the only way he's been defeated. The only other things that have been used on him are acid (from Orange Ant) and physical strength. (26 other D.A.R.K. Destructoids)

Also, he has an extreme weakness to professor Gil's flute playing. It stops him in his tracks every time.

Kikadia, however, does not seem to have any abilities which are easily seperated and removed from the rest to make it acceptably powerful. I am therefore asking for possible ways to accomplish this.
Well, you could remove his ability to fly, because he doesn't only really uses it while transforming into Kikaida. (instead of being Jiro, the guitar playing denim-clad road warrior.)
Alternatively, you could limit his strength to something he has actually used, instead of how strong he can possibly prove himself to be. The most extreme feat of strength he's pulled off is picking up a train off of its tracks, though it was calculated that he could pick up a skyscraper. (He never did, though.)

Est Sularus Oth Mithas

CJ1145

• Bay Watcher
  • *Insert Meme Here*
    • View Profile
« Reply #538 on: October 01, 2010, 07:46:44 pm »

Well, we've established how strong he can be, but that doesn't explain what it takes to kill him. Most of the contestants you can make a reasonable assumption but Kikadia is unique enough to be really hard to pinpoint. I don't want to see him disqualified, but really it seems this is the kind of guy meant to fight Superman, not Ozymandias.

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #539 on: October 01, 2010, 07:55:06 pm »

Well, we've established how strong he can be, but that doesn't explain what it takes to kill him.
You either have to break his spirit (surprisingly easy for a superhero) or break him. It's been partially done before, so if he was against someone of great strength, it could be done. The only problem with this fight is that his opponent is merely human. A powerful human, but just a human.

Examples of who else on this list could possibly beat him and how -

The GDI Disc Thrower - Large explosives.
Sauron - Maybe an even match in melee combat
Static - LIIIIIGHTNING
Duncan Idaho - Shield
Alien - Acid Blood (Orange Ant had some success with melting some of Kikaida's components.)

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
Pages: 1 ... 34 35 [36] 37 38 ... 98