Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 28 29 [30] 31 32 ... 98

Author Topic: Fight to the death the second: Round two  (Read 83890 times)

ed boy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Fight to the death the second
« Reply #435 on: September 24, 2010, 03:29:05 pm »

Winner: Lord Zedd

I'm not happy about calling this one - I have rather little information on both of them (especially ruby). However, since lord Zedd has an example of completely outclassing a very formidable foe (Tommy), I'm giving it to him.

Next round: Duncan Idaho VS The Punisher

Spoiler: tree (click to show/hide)

Karnewarrior

• Bay Watcher
  • That guy who used to be here all the time
    • View Profile
Re: Fight to the death the second: Round one: Duncan Idaho VS The Punisher
« Reply #436 on: September 24, 2010, 03:33:25 pm »

D:

Did you... Did you at least put the poor bunny back in her box?  :'(

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
[/spoiler][/spoiler][/spoiler][/spoiler]
Thou art I, I art Thou.
The trust you have bestowed upon thy comrade is now reciprocated in turn.
Thou shall be blessed when calling upon personae of the Hangman Arcana.
May this tie bind thee to a brighter future!​
Ikusaba Quest! - Fistfighting space robots for the benefit of your familial bonds to Satan is passe, so you call Sherlock Holmes and ask her to pop by.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #437 on: September 24, 2010, 03:48:02 pm »

I'm noticing a pattern of victories in the first round. According to the pattern, the remaining round 1 winners should be the Punisher, Eddie Riggs, Ozymandias, The Marked One, Marx Soul and Paul Atreides.
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Virex

• Bay Watcher
  • Subjects interest attracted. Annalyses pending...
    • View Profile
« Reply #438 on: September 24, 2010, 03:49:55 pm »

Assuming Idaho has access to his standard equipment (a Holtzman shield and a sword), he's at a slight advantage. The gun-nullifying effects of the Holtzman shield would force them into a hand-to hand fight. Duncan knows how to fight within the constraints of a shield, while the Punisher wouldn't expect any quick attack, such as a punch to simply be deflected. It'd take some time for him to figure out he has to move slowly to bypass the field. In the mean time, Duncan can force him into a position from which he can bypass his Kevlar armor and strike a killing blow.

ed boy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #439 on: September 25, 2010, 01:00:32 pm »

Keep in mind that the candidates have three days of research using whatever materials are avialable to someone in the fictional universe. For example, if someone wanted to research batman and only batman, they would have access to whatever information the average gotham city resident would be able to find after three days of research - they wouldn't know his secret identity, but they would know about some of his more common gadgets. From what I can tell, the Holtzman shields are very well known about in the dune universe, so the punisher would know about them and, once he sees the shield is active, he would not try conventional methods.

The punisher also has access to explosives - although a bullet would not penetrate the shield, what about explosives?

Finally, there is the matter of the location. The punisher's training includes, but is not limited to, US army, US navy, US marines and SAS. The punisher would be in his element on the island. However, I do not know about Duncan. There are many planets in the dune series, no doubt with wildly different enivronments. I must therefore ask: what range of different places has duncan been exposed to? Has he fought much in dense vegetation?

Virex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #440 on: September 25, 2010, 01:27:28 pm »

Keep in mind that the candidates have three days of research using whatever materials are avialable to someone in the fictional universe. For example, if someone wanted to research batman and only batman, they would have access to whatever information the average gotham city resident would be able to find after three days of research - they wouldn't know his secret identity, but they would know about some of his more common gadgets. From what I can tell, the Holtzman shields are very well known about in the dune universe, so the punisher would know about them and, once he sees the shield is active, he would not try conventional methods.
True, but he doesn't have any training in fighting against shields, which means it's quite hard for him to actually get Duncan into a position in which he can bypass a shield without being parried. On the other hand, the shield also limits the speed at which Duncan move himself.

The punisher also has access to explosives - although a bullet would not penetrate the shield, what about explosives?
A Holtzman shield blocks out anything going at a higher speed then the set limit. Seeing as this limit is set to just high enough to let sufficient air diffund trough the shield for it's user to breathe (it is mentioned that the air goes stale during a practice fight), the shrapnel and pressure wave made by an explosive would not be able to bypass it. If however the explosion results in large amount of poisonous gasses that happen to not be nullified by spice, then that would cause trouble for Duncan.

Finally, there is the matter of the location. The punisher's training includes, but is not limited to, US army, US navy, US marines and SAS. The punisher would be in his element on the island. However, I do not know about Duncan. There are many planets in the dune series, no doubt with wildly different enivronments. I must therefore ask: what range of different places has duncan been exposed to? Has he fought much in dense vegetation?
Duncan's home planet is the ocean planet Caladan, which is covered in meadows, dense forests and swamps. Besides that, he as studied as a Swordmaster of the Ginaz. Ginaz is another oceanic planet that's tropical in nature. It's safe to assume Duncan would not have much problems on a tropic island.

CJ1145

• Bay Watcher
  • *Insert Meme Here*
    • View Profile
« Reply #441 on: September 25, 2010, 02:20:13 pm »

Besides the Fridge Logic that an ocean planet should by no means be covered in meadows, dense forests and swamps, just because Duncan might be familiar with the terrain does not mean he is proficient in it. The Punisher is dangerously obsessed with killing at times, and his extensive training would allow him to set up that crucial first ambush, and then escape when that ambush fails. I doubt the Punisher would win on his first run, so it would be vital for him to escape when he realizes nothing is working, and work it out in his head that the shields are stopping his attacks.
This being Homestuck, I'm not sure whether that's post-scratch Rose or Vriska with a wig.

Virex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #442 on: September 25, 2010, 02:38:24 pm »

Maybe the word Ocean Planet was poorly chosen. It's covered in oceans for the largest part, with several smaller continents where the populace lives. While it is of course not a given that someone is proficient on the terrain of his home, it is implied in Dune that the Atreides are proficient warriors and tacticians. Besides that some of humanities best tacticians have allinged them with the Atreides. Coupled with the feudal nature of the Dune universe and the fact that the Atreides prefer to lead from the front lines it would be a sever oversight for them not to be proficient on the mayor terrains of Caladan.

CJ1145

• Bay Watcher
  • *Insert Meme Here*
    • View Profile
« Reply #443 on: September 25, 2010, 02:39:38 pm »

Maybe the word Ocean Planet was poorly chosen. It's covered in oceans for the largest part, with several smaller continents where the populace lives. While it is of course not a given that someone is proficient on the terrain of his home, it is implied in Dune that the Atreides are proficient warriors and tacticians. Besides that some of humanities best tacticians have allinged them with the Atreides. Coupled with the feudal nature of the Dune universe and the fact that the Atreides prefer to lead from the front lines it would be a sever oversight for them not to be proficient on the mayor terrains of Caladan.

That's true, I suppose. But that would still require Duncan to learn the layout of the island, then think of a proper response for any given environment on said island. Even for the best of tacticians that requires time and a very distracting amount of effort.
This being Homestuck, I'm not sure whether that's post-scratch Rose or Vriska with a wig.

Virex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #444 on: September 25, 2010, 02:44:33 pm »

True, but the effort and distraction would be no more then it would take the Punisher, so the whole point of terrain advantage is essential mitigated.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #445 on: September 25, 2010, 02:45:37 pm »

The Punisher, if he prepares sufficiently, can win this one easily. All he needs is a large net of steel wire, or anything else that can't be easily cut apart. Throw it over Duncan, and even if it is initially repelled, it'll press itself in over the next couple of seconds. Once Duncan is thus distracted, the Punisher moves in and does any one of a large number of unspeakable things he can think of at melee range.

Even something as simple as a tear gas grenade may distract Duncan enough to let Frank get his way with him.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."

CJ1145

• Bay Watcher
  • *Insert Meme Here*
    • View Profile
« Reply #446 on: September 25, 2010, 02:46:15 pm »

True, but the effort and distraction would be no more then it would take the Punisher, so the whole point of terrain advantage is essential mitigated.

Yes, but it's time spent planning as opposed to time spent preparing. That's really all I can add, as I don't know a whole lot about The Punisher.

ed boy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #447 on: September 25, 2010, 04:56:54 pm »

As for the net of steel wire, I'm not going to allow that. The punisher has three days to research and prepare, but he will be facing one of thirty-one people. The net of steel wire would be useful against duncan but nobody else. It would not be logical for the punisher to take such a large and heavy object in favour of more weaponry and gadgetry when it would only have a one in thirty-one chance of being useful.

How well do the holtzmann shields work against extreme heat? Although the shrapnel and stuff might not damage him, he might suffer some extremely bad burns.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #448 on: September 25, 2010, 05:03:58 pm »

Actually, a net is good for restraining just about anyone. Not a net of steel specifically, but just a sturdy net. And he'd carry at least a pair of gas grenades I think, just in case he needs 'em.

Virex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #449 on: September 25, 2010, 05:22:52 pm »

As for the net of steel wire, I'm not going to allow that. The punisher has three days to research and prepare, but he will be facing one of thirty-one people. The net of steel wire would be useful against duncan but nobody else. It would not be logical for the punisher to take such a large and heavy object in favour of more weaponry and gadgetry when it would only have a one in thirty-one chance of being useful.

How well do the holtzmann shields work against extreme heat? Although the shrapnel and stuff might not damage him, he might suffer some extremely bad burns.

Uhm yeah, that one is a bit tricky. It's said that the Holtzman field is usually set on a speed of 6 to 9 cm per second, but no explicit mention is made of the effect on temperature. As nearly all molecules in the air have a speed exceeding that by far, I would assume that said figure applies to the net diffusion speed and not to individual atoms, which would mean that heat can propagate trough the shield, though at a reduced rate compared to normal. A reduced diffusion speed would mean a lower net energy transfer per second. This means that hot air will burn Duncan but it has to be a significant amount and of a significant temperature. In essence, explosives can burn him, but they'll need to explode relatively close to him. This is further supported by a passage in the book taking place during a training fight. It is said that the air becomes stale and Paul (or one of his trainers) became quite hot due to the heat build-up. This again points towards present, but slow diffusion and thus a slower and slightly dampened response to temperature changes.

It should however be noted that artillery has fallen out of grace by the time Dune comes around as it is mentioned that the Harkonen used several very old pieces of equipment on Dune since shields can't be used there, lest they attract the sand worms. No mentions are made of grenades or other explosives being used during combat. This probably means that the radius at which an explosive would cause severe burns is too small for them to be effective weapons.

As for the gas grenades, they would work, but again lowered diffusion speed would give Duncan some time to get away before they come into full effect (unless the used gas is of a very lethal kind)
« Last Edit: September 25, 2010, 05:28:41 pm by Virex »
Pages: 1 ... 28 29 [30] 31 32 ... 98