Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 22 23 [24] 25 26 ... 98

Author Topic: Fight to the death the second: Round two  (Read 83692 times)

Phantom

• Bay Watcher
  • Asiatic Asian
    • View Profile
Re: Fight to the death the second: Round one: A GDI disc thrower VS John Egbert
« Reply #345 on: September 18, 2010, 09:56:32 pm »

GDI Disc Throwers/Troopers had some experience fighting in Tiberium Forests and wastelands, plus mountains, so if he stayed on the mountains he'd get a good advantage.

And a very small advantage on the beach, judging from the assault on Vegas base and their armor color.

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #346 on: September 18, 2010, 09:59:26 pm »

It's rather difficult as a flesh-and-blood physics organism to deal with a being that deals in health bars.
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

Phantom

• Bay Watcher
  • Asiatic Asian
    • View Profile
« Reply #347 on: September 18, 2010, 10:02:38 pm »

Well, both characters had Health Bars in the places they were portrayed in.
It's just that a Disc Throwers bar has segments, and a segment needs to take enough damage before being removed.
Egberts is more direct.

They're pretty much useless in a fight anyway because it just tells the enemy when you'd expire if you kept getting beat up.

Josephus

• Bay Watcher
  • The Immortal Historian
    • View Profile
« Reply #348 on: September 18, 2010, 10:03:28 pm »

Actually, John has his strife bar. Even disregarding the health bar mechanic, he took the impact of a Crude Ogre's blow and survived, more than once.
Solar Rangers: Suggestion Game in SPAAAAACE
RPG Interest Check Thread
i had the elves bring me two tigermen, although i forgot to let them out of the cage and they died : ( i was sad : (

Phantom

• Bay Watcher
  • Asiatic Asian
    • View Profile
« Reply #349 on: September 18, 2010, 10:10:50 pm »

Well that was because he got stuck in a loop with Nana until She and Rose stuck in.

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #350 on: September 18, 2010, 11:10:54 pm »

Has anyone ever actually seen a disc thrower hit something smaller than a barn? I suspect that the disc thrower will just give up because they can't handle the guilt of killing so many of their own troops...
Vote (1) for the Urist scale!
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Urist has been forced to use a friend as fertilizer lately.
Read the First Post!

Phantom

• Bay Watcher
  • Asiatic Asian
    • View Profile
« Reply #351 on: September 19, 2010, 12:16:02 am »

I've seen disc throwers rip up tick tanks, I've seen them rip up Rocket Infantry. I've seen 2 go toe-to-toe with a Cyborg Reaper and live.
Although the first 2 usually involved more than 1 to make it faster. Disc throwers are also good enough on their own right to "Grenade Snipe" by judging angle and distance to the target, and skillfully throwing their disc grenade which skips across the ground into their target.

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #352 on: September 19, 2010, 02:17:10 am »

Skips across the ground, bounces off of a tree, and blows up their won face...
Vote (1) for the Urist scale!
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Urist has been forced to use a friend as fertilizer lately.
Read the First Post!

ed boy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #353 on: September 19, 2010, 08:44:55 am »

Maybe in the hands of the inexperienced, but certainly not someone who throws discs for a living.

Josephus

• Bay Watcher
  • The Immortal Historian
    • View Profile
« Reply #354 on: September 19, 2010, 08:54:57 am »

True. But as Phantom mentioned, the discs are meant to skip. The Disc Thrower can't attack aircraft, implying that it defaults to bouncing off the ground, caroming into obstacles - effective in an urban environment, especially against tanks, terrible on a tropical island - if the fight occurs in the jungle, the disc would bounce off a tree; if the fight takes place on the beach, the disk would simply fail to skip.

While John is pretty much a child, his innate lack of a sense of wonder means he would take the island in stride, and hammer the Disc Thrower to pieces. The Fear No Anvil would effectively neutralize the Disc Thrower's (rather clear, by virtue of his being a military trained adult) strength advantage in melee; in addition, his combat suit being mainly meant for an urban environment, he would be suffering from the heat and humidity as well. The cumbersome launching system and storage gear mean that an additional onus would be on the Disc Thrower. John, wearing only any of the three outfits he'd previously acquired, would not be affected as much.
Solar Rangers: Suggestion Game in SPAAAAACE
RPG Interest Check Thread
i had the elves bring me two tigermen, although i forgot to let them out of the cage and they died : ( i was sad : (

CJ1145

• Bay Watcher
  • *Insert Meme Here*
    • View Profile
« Reply #355 on: September 19, 2010, 09:29:17 am »

Josephus makes a good point. John is just more suited to varied environments, while the disc thrower is just too specialized to do well out of his element.
This being Homestuck, I'm not sure whether that's post-scratch Rose or Vriska with a wig.

ed boy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #356 on: September 19, 2010, 09:30:39 am »

Remember that in the homestuck universe, John has the protection of plot armour, which he does not here.

Phantom

• Bay Watcher
  • Asiatic Asian
    • View Profile
« Reply #357 on: September 19, 2010, 11:28:45 am »

Well, a Disc Thrower on a Mountainous setting could do good, considering Hammerfest and similar...

That, and if John hit the Disc Throwers pack, there's a good chance that the damage would have been blocked or that they'd both get caught in an explosion, because Disc Throwers sometimes cause small explosions upon death.

And the Disc Thrower does not have to skip the grenade, it's just a fancy technique that they use to attack someone without having to get closer for regular attack mode.

And the fact he cannot attack air units is irrelevant, John does not fly.

CJ1145

• Bay Watcher
  • *Insert Meme Here*
    • View Profile
« Reply #358 on: September 19, 2010, 11:39:17 am »

Remember that in the homestuck universe, John has the protection of plot armour, which he does not here.

Plot armor and an abundance of trees are not the same thing. However, either one makes the disc thrower completely ineffectual. In melee combat John has taken on Ogres, which are ludicrously large and powerful minions. While not exactly a powerhouse, John easily takes out mooks.

The disc thrower, friends, is a mook. His armor is constructed to withstand shrapnel, which is useful until you remember that John does not use shrapnel-related attacks. His hammers would just crush the poor man's ribcage.

An explosion is useless as well, as John is seen as being capable of surviving a good deal of punishment (and not just Plot-Armoring through it, he gets beat up from some of the stunts he pulls.) One explosion, and a small one at that, will not kill him.
This being Homestuck, I'm not sure whether that's post-scratch Rose or Vriska with a wig.

Phantom

• Bay Watcher
  • Asiatic Asian
    • View Profile
« Reply #359 on: September 19, 2010, 11:46:05 am »

Is John able to survive multiple explosions in a semi-quick succession?
Pages: 1 ... 22 23 [24] 25 26 ... 98