Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 98

Author Topic: Fight to the death the second: Round two  (Read 83650 times)

Josephus

• Bay Watcher
  • The Immortal Historian
    • View Profile
Re: Fight to the death the second: Round one: Static vs Raphael
« Reply #210 on: September 10, 2010, 02:13:28 am »

Winner: Roland Deschain

In a fight like this, it will come down to whoever gets in the first shot. It is no doubt a close match, and one that I find hard to call, but I find Roland to have a slight advantage in stealth and sneaking, so I must give him the victory.

Roland emerged from the jungle, shaking his duster in a vain attempt to keep it dry. Ever since the thinny - what he believed was a thinny, at any rate - delivered him to this strange land, his ordinarily painful arthritis had ceased to plague him. Thank the Man Jesus for small blessings. Thank the gods of his luck.

He had been told to kill. And Roland was not a man to ask questions.

This, the strange voice said, was a duel to the death - a tournament. It droned a list of names, many of which Roland did not recognize, though this "Sauron" certainly sounded familiar. It seemed it would be up to the wheel of ka to determine which one he would face.

For the moment, however, he sat by the sea, flexing his hand and polishing his father's guns. Hm. His right hand appeared to be whole again.

All the better to shoot with.

Roland got to his feet and began to lay his trap.

Jo made her way through the jungle, shoving past foliage with a determined look on her face. She had ditched her leather jacket a ways back. It would have just slowed her down, and if she was to survive this... 'contest'... then she would need every advantage she could take.

She had no idea why she wasn't dead, and wasn't about to try and find out. All that mattered was winning, so she could get back to her friends. Whoever was facing her today would have one hell of a time trying to beat her. She gave her guns a cursory once-over and drew them both.

A glimpse of something brown flashed in the corner of her eye, and she turned and fired in a single motion. The shots exploded into the foliage, tearing into a hat that had been set on a stick in the sand.

She ducked just as a shot streaked past her and blew a chunk out of the tree next to her. Damn it.

Roland caught a glimpse of the girl as he fired, and ducked behind a tree. She looked young, but he had seen the way she fired those big automatics without feeling the recoil. She was clearly far stronger than he was. He let a small smile bloom on his face. There were no semi-automatics in Mid-world, such weapons had fallen into disuse when the world moved on. He wondered how he would fare against an otherworldly gun such as those.

The gunslinger darted out of cover and fired thrice, fanning the hammer of his revolver with the heel of his palm. The bullets would have found their mark, if the girl had not slipped out of the way. They smashed harmlessly into the tree she was hiding behind, spraying palm sap into the air.

She returned fire just as quickly, but only caught the edges of Roland's flapping duster. As he ducked for cover again, he noticed a strange glow emanating from the girl's shoulder.

Jo cursed silently and darted for the man, leaping over the fallen log he was ducking behind and seizing him by the coat. As he fired wildly, she hurled him out onto the beach and leveled her pistol at him, preparing to fire.

But he was quick.

Too quick.

The man brought his gun up and fired just as Jo pulled the trigger. His shot smashed into her chest, causing her to jerk sideways, her own bullet tagging him in the shoulder. The shock drove her to her knees.

Strangely, there was no pain.

Jo heard the man whisper, "You have forgotten the face of your father." She tried to explain to him that she'd had no father, but her mouth had ceased to work.

As everything began to fade, she heard the hum of the portal that had taken her here...

EDIT:

Lord it's hard to write for characters you don't know.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2010, 02:19:29 am by Josephus »
Solar Rangers: Suggestion Game in SPAAAAACE
RPG Interest Check Thread
i had the elves bring me two tigermen, although i forgot to let them out of the cage and they died : ( i was sad : (

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #211 on: September 10, 2010, 06:56:56 am »

I would expect that a ninja would typically carry some form of thrown weapon, and any half-decent ninja would know that a weapon thrown at the face would provide a distraction that could be taken advantage of...
Vote (1) for the Urist scale!
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Urist has been forced to use a friend as fertilizer lately.
Read the First Post!

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #212 on: September 10, 2010, 07:35:04 am »

Raphael always wields his trademark Sais*, but in most of the games at least he has shurikens to throw as well. Static, I believe, doesn't have a way to stop steel from entering him.

Spoiler: * (click to show/hide)

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
The Artist Formerly Known as Barbarossa TSG

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #213 on: September 10, 2010, 07:43:36 am »

Aren't those typically used as a bludgeoning weapon?
Vote (1) for the Urist scale!
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Urist has been forced to use a friend as fertilizer lately.
Read the First Post!

Josephus

• Bay Watcher
  • The Immortal Historian
    • View Profile
« Reply #214 on: September 10, 2010, 07:48:04 am »

Parrying daggers, actually.
Solar Rangers: Suggestion Game in SPAAAAACE
RPG Interest Check Thread
i had the elves bring me two tigermen, although i forgot to let them out of the cage and they died : ( i was sad : (

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
  • Where do we go from here?
    • View Profile
« Reply #215 on: September 10, 2010, 07:55:34 am »

Thanks for the battle writeup Sai Joesephus. I think it did justice to both combatants.  :)

I can't say much about this battle, cause it will probably be biased lol...but I think Raph has the advantage here. Static's manuverabilty is extremely constricted in the jungle-he's a city boy, and Raph is a mutant ninja with parkour skills...even if we give him his disk-which is a reasonable idea to me, since almost everyone has at least one "special item" they bring with them, the jungle is not his friend.

I barely know anything about static though. I know he has limited magnetic powers in addition to his electric manipulation, but I don't know to what extent-could he block thrown knives? Arrowheads? Bullets? We need someone to sell us on Static having a chance, cause I feel popular concensus has as much effect as debate points lol
Dwarmin's fell gaze has fallen upon you. Sadly, Your life and your quest end here, at this sig.

"The hats never coming off."

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #216 on: September 10, 2010, 08:22:40 am »

Raphael also grew up in the city, but his turtle instincts might help him in the jungle, especially considering he had no problem with it during the numerous adventures the TMNT have had in the wilderness.

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
The Artist Formerly Known as Barbarossa TSG

dwarfguy2

• Bay Watcher
  • Human Meta Knight... 0_o
    • View Profile
« Reply #217 on: September 10, 2010, 08:53:29 am »

"IT'S NINJA TIME!", uttered raphael, his eyes ablaze with fury at his unknown opponent. throwing a rain of shurikens at his foe from a high tree, his oppressor futily attempted to block them. however, there were too many. far too many. there were enough to both graze his arms, and provide the cover for raphael to backstab him.

(i vote all posts from here on out be like this.)
Caution: This user may or may not be a horrible evil Elder God from the deepest regions of space. He also may or may not be a lawyer.

Aramco

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #218 on: September 10, 2010, 01:40:16 pm »

"IT'S NINJA TIME!", uttered raphael, his eyes ablaze with fury at his unknown opponent. throwing a rain of shurikens at his foe from a high tree, his oppressor futily attempted to block them. however, there were too many. far too many. there were enough to both graze his arms, and provide the cover for raphael to backstab him.

(i vote all posts from here on out be like this.)
This is what I think the battle will be like.

I vote against the proposed vote.
Or maybe there's a god who's just completely insane and sends you to Detroit, Michigan in a new body if you ever utter the name "Pat Sajak".

CJ1145

• Bay Watcher
  • *Insert Meme Here*
    • View Profile
« Reply #219 on: September 10, 2010, 03:07:14 pm »

Okay, wishful thinking over. The horrible, electrified rain of truth shall come down upon you.

Raphael's main weapons are sais. Those are parrying daggers. Think about that one a moment. His best weapon is at a range so close if he even attempted it, he'd be shocked to death the first try. His secondary weapons would be shuriken... but I can't recall a single moment in any of the cartoons I've watched (and one or two comics) where he used them. That throws his possession of them, let alone skill, into serious question. So okay, maybe he'd get in a hit or two if he snuck up on him, but even then you're forgetting that Static can fly.

Now hold on there folks, I know what you're thinking. Yes, Static's board does have restrictions, but it doesn't have nearly the limitations of the comic version. In the cartoon, it tends to work as a hoverboard that sparks, with no differentiation between cement, metal, wood, or dirt. Then there is the mention that Static has the potential (in the animated canon) to be one of the most powerful heroes on Earth. When you live in the same world as Superman and the Flash, that means a LOT. His powers definitely have the capacity to kill. And even if they don't, it'd only take two or three good shocks to put Raphael down for the count.

I have a LOT more to say, but the bat's calling.
This being Homestuck, I'm not sure whether that's post-scratch Rose or Vriska with a wig.

Aramco

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #220 on: September 10, 2010, 03:09:53 pm »

Yeah, there is no way Mr. Turtle could win. Unless he had invisibility. But he would still probably lose.
Or maybe there's a god who's just completely insane and sends you to Detroit, Michigan in a new body if you ever utter the name "Pat Sajak".

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #221 on: September 10, 2010, 03:49:09 pm »

So then, too powerful to lose? Let's make it rain, that should even out the chances.
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Aramco

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #222 on: September 10, 2010, 03:51:04 pm »

So then, too powerful to lose? Let's make it rain, that should even out the chances.

Not too powerful to lose, too weak to win. Static wouldn't win so easily, except that his opponent is a TURTLE. And there are no sewers in the jungle, so he's at more of a disadvantage.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #223 on: September 10, 2010, 03:57:36 pm »

I think TMNT's usually fight in the "concrete jungle", not in the sewers. Being ninjas, they are able to adapt to a lot of situations. But apart from that - just looking through the list of contestants, I really see nobody who could offer significant resistance to "potentially one of the most powerful superheroes". I vote that the proposed variant of Static is too powerful for the proposed challenge rules.
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Aramco

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #224 on: September 10, 2010, 04:02:07 pm »

I also vote for the same result.
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 98