Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 49 50 [51] 52 53 ... 98

Author Topic: Fight to the death the second: Round two  (Read 84000 times)

ragnarok97071

• Bay Watcher
  • /人 ◕ ‿‿ ◕人\
    • View Profile
Re: Fight to the death the second: Round one: Paul Atreides VS Ezio Auditore
« Reply #750 on: October 28, 2010, 09:13:19 pm »

he does not figure out about them, his network does. Well, if he happens to be the Guildmaster, anyway. before that, he mostly just goes and kills them.
Quote from: Wing, via Discord
I want a coat that doesn't make me look like a rear admiral from the East India Company

ed boy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #751 on: October 29, 2010, 02:50:00 am »

The rate of information gathering is the same as the average citizen in the world. For example, if someone wanted to spend two hours researching batman, they would be able to find as much information as the average gotham city resident would be able to find in that time.

Which does beg the question, how well-known are shields in the dune universe?

Pandarsenic

• Bay Watcher
  • FABULOUS Gunslinger
    • View Profile
« Reply #752 on: October 29, 2010, 02:59:47 am »

I imagine it'd be like asking "how well-known is kevlar?" today, maybe.
KARATE CHOP TO THE SOUL
Your bone is the best Pandar honey. The best.
YOUR BONE IS THE BEST PANDAR
[Cheeetar] Pandar doesn't have issues, he has style.
Fuck off, you fucking fucker-fuck :I

lemon10

• Bay Watcher
  • Citrus Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #753 on: October 29, 2010, 04:02:56 am »

sheild: well known to everyone
dart pistol:pretty much used (and i suppose known) only on dune (which is the only place where sheilds aren't used)
weirding way: hm... probably little practical information beyond thats its awsome kung fu
other bene gesserit abilities: not sure
paul pre-emporer: no info for a regular citizen
mentat abilities: fairly well known

however, ezio would have no clues what abilities paul would have, so he would know he would probably take a sheild+dart pistol and mabey a lasgun, but wouldn't know he had mentat abilities/weirding way/other bene gesserit abilities (eg poison abilities).

so this means that paul would have no info on ezio? this seems to be a big advantage for more anonymous characters.

also, to reiterate on shields, shields can be on forever, with no time limit, and if your not exerting yourself im your air will be fine, forever
also, i see no reason not to bring a lasgun, not shooting yourself is pretty easy, i mean, sure if he shoots himself he dies, but the same thing happens with a gun, and thats not really that big of a threat.
also, only lasguns (which i think is slightly different from a regular laser gun) explode sheilds, a plasma cannon or other energy weapon would have no effect
« Last Edit: October 29, 2010, 04:09:21 am by lemon10 »
And with a mighty leap, the evil Conservative flies through the window, escaping our heroes once again!
Because the solution to not being able to control your dakka is MOAR DAKKA.

That's it. We've finally crossed over and become the nation of Da Orky Boyz.

Pandarsenic

• Bay Watcher
  • FABULOUS Gunslinger
    • View Profile
« Reply #754 on: October 29, 2010, 04:24:04 am »

The Bene Gesserit have a large number of abilities, some useful to Paul (e.g. the Weirding Way) and some not (e.g. controlling the gender of a child).

However, the full capabilities are a well-kept secret, something that could probably be inferred from the Padishah Emperors not deciding they were too great a threat to be allowed to remain, I suspect.
KARATE CHOP TO THE SOUL

lemon10

• Bay Watcher
  • Citrus Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #755 on: October 29, 2010, 04:36:28 am »

kk got it, so basically neither ezio nor paul would have any clue what abilities the other has or who they are -_-
i think the research rules should change, as it is i don't see how anyone would know what abilities anyone else would have, so the three days to research are a bit pointless
« Last Edit: October 29, 2010, 04:46:23 am by lemon10 »
And with a mighty leap, the evil Conservative flies through the window, escaping our heroes once again!

Pandarsenic

• Bay Watcher
  • FABULOUS Gunslinger
    • View Profile
« Reply #756 on: October 29, 2010, 04:48:28 am »

I think this problem is something that arose mostly because of the matchup here - the assassins and the Bene Gesserit are both manipulative orders who use any means they deem needed and prefer not to have their capabilities well-known.
KARATE CHOP TO THE SOUL

dragonshardz

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:PONY:ACCEPTABLE]
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #757 on: October 29, 2010, 04:55:36 am »

"Lasgun" is a contraction of "laser gun". Lasgun = laser gun, AKA Hand-held Directed Light Weapon. In the Dune Universe, the interactions between a HhDLW and a Full-Body Portable Force Field (shield) result in a catastrophic explosion.

Now, we know that all the people in a rung of the ladder know who made it to that rung, right? So obviously they would be able to research their potential opponents, and in a best-case scenario, prepare in such a way that no matter who they go up against, they have a chance of winning.

So Paul would likely know of Ezio's training, and vice versa. Same with equipment possibilities. What it all comes down to, in my opinion, is less of a matter of who is the better combatant and more of a matter of luck.

Assuming that Paul, Ezio, and the other competitors would have similar skill levels (remember, there has to be chance, however slight, for either party to win), it's not hard to deduce that either Ezio would win, Paul would win, or neither would. I think the third option is the most likely, given that Ezio and Paul both have mystical training and demi-deity power potential, as well as the various blades, armors, and ranged weaponry available to each of them.

It's logical to assume that Ezio would have a full complement of gear, that being Hidden Blades x2, Longsword, Short Blade, Throwing Knives, and maybe Altair's Armor to give him a fighting chance against Paul with his shield.

Paul would likely have a shield (which, to my knowledge, can be used to exclude things on the molecular level or not - it all depends on how the user calibrates the shield) as well as a bladed weapons (perhaps the crysknife?), a shield, and either a lasgun, dart gun, or both, third option being most likely as it gives him a fair chance of defeating anybody.

We also need to take into consideration the terrain. Both Paul and Ezio are unfamiliar with deep jungle; Ezio works mainly in cities while Paul kicks ass in the desert. However, they can both use the natural hiding places provided by the jungle to their respective advantage. The terrain also provides a disadvantage; trees and undergrowth block sight-lines while twigs and such are not conducive to stealth.

It really comes down to who would be able to get the drop on the other first. Ezio is a Master Assassin, while Paul is a Mentat and isn't exactly useless in a fight.

I do think Ezio would win, however, simply because he is more used to vertical movement as a means to gain the advantage of surprise over his opponent. Remember that Altair's Armor is black (thus helping him blend into shadows more easily), and if he did not have it, his robes would likely be dyed to take advantage of the terrain he will be fighting in - after all, the combatants do know that they will be fighting in and around a jungle on an isolated island.

Pandarsenic

• Bay Watcher
  • FABULOUS Gunslinger
    • View Profile
« Reply #758 on: October 29, 2010, 05:06:50 am »

It's less "Paul is best in the desert" and more "Paul is such a badass he can thrive on the most viciously, ridiculously hostile known planet."

Would Paul be able to level an area of the jungle with his lasgun to prevent Ezio from getting the drop on him, then just wait/meditate until Ezio has to close to a range where he can use a weapon that gets through the Holtzmann Shield and take him on in that situation, where he'd almost certainly win?
KARATE CHOP TO THE SOUL

lemon10

• Bay Watcher
  • Citrus Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #759 on: October 29, 2010, 05:33:16 am »

dropping on paul would be rather useless, since the fall velocity would mean he would be moving to fast to stab him.
and yeah i know that lasgun is a contraction of laser gun, but im not sure is say a star wars laser gun would have the same effect on a sheild as a dune one.
im pretty sure that paul would be able to find a area without trees, if worse came to worse, he could just go hang out on the beach, where there are no trees at all

also dragon, ed boy (the author) already stated that researching would be equivalent to a normal humans in that area, and trying to look up ezio or paul for a regular person in there respective universes would yeild no information in the time frame given (assuming equal research time for everyone and 2 days spent researching thats 2 days/31 people= about 90 minutes per person, not enough time to figure out who paul/ezio is (since neither are famous enough to be public figures at their respective points), although its more then enough to figure out the tech generally available

also, i still think that paul being able to use ranged weapons will tip the scale, no amout of armor would help ezio against a lasgun, which is "continuous-wave laser projector weapon", im pretty sure that this means that it stays on, so paul could just sweep it over ezio and it would cut him in half

EDIT: they would only have 32 hours to reseach since they would have to sleep+eat for at least 8 hours a day, leaving just about a hour reseach time per person
« Last Edit: October 29, 2010, 07:30:19 am by lemon10 »

dragonshardz

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:PONY:ACCEPTABLE]
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #760 on: October 29, 2010, 05:56:41 am »

Star Wars != Dune...

lemon10

• Bay Watcher
  • Citrus Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #761 on: October 29, 2010, 06:05:12 am »

er, yes i know, i was saying that im not sure that a star wars (or any other sci-fi) laser gun would have the same or any effect on a sheild that a dune lasgun would have due to working differently.

Virex

• Bay Watcher
  • Subjects interest attracted. Annalyses pending...
    • View Profile
« Reply #762 on: October 29, 2010, 06:50:44 am »

dropping on paul would be rather useless, since the fall velocity would mean he would be moving to fast to stab him.
Now I got the image of Ezio jumping down from a tree onto Paul and then just bouncing off with a loud Bzhm!

Anyway, in a jungle environment I think Paul would take one of those flotation devices they have so he could scale trees more easily. Besides that, while Paul himself may not be too well-known, he is an Atreides and his father is one of the most charismatic house heads, so presumably Ezio could get some information on the Atreides (he technically isn't a member of the Bene Geserit in the first place, just trained in most of their ways by his mother)

lemon10

• Bay Watcher
  • Citrus Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #763 on: October 29, 2010, 07:29:05 am »

yeah, given enough time, but i doubt the training that paul did is on the public record, and if its not on the public record, ezio wouldn't be able to find it (since he's counted as a regular citizen for purposes of research), especially considering he has just about a hour to research
likewise paul would know nothing about ezio, since he's not on the public record at all

ed boy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #764 on: October 29, 2010, 07:47:30 am »

Information on ezio would almost certainly be available, just not neccessarily connected to ezio. I can easily imagine that tale of "A master assassin, who can kill with a single blow and blend into the shadows" would ciruculate, even if they are not identified specifically as ezio.
Pages: 1 ... 49 50 [51] 52 53 ... 98