Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 38 39 [40] 41 42 ... 98

Author Topic: Fight to the death the second: Round two  (Read 83823 times)

dragonshardz

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:PONY:ACCEPTABLE]
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
Re: Fight to the death the second: Round one: Strelok VS Tidus
« Reply #585 on: October 11, 2010, 03:08:43 pm »

And even then Strelok wouldn't be very disoriented, he fights Controllers and survives, so he obviously has some resistance to psi-powers. Add the SEVA suit to that and Strelok might not even be affected by Tidus' time-slowing abilities at all, onsidering that time is something that each individual perceives differently, Tidus' powers would have to act on Strelok's brain to slow down his perception of time.

HailFire

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #586 on: October 11, 2010, 03:49:19 pm »

And even then Strelok wouldn't be very disoriented, he fights Controllers and survives, so he obviously has some resistance to psi-powers. Add the SEVA suit to that and Strelok might not even be affected by Tidus' time-slowing abilities at all, onsidering that time is something that each individual perceives differently, Tidus' powers would have to act on Strelok's brain to slow down his perception of time.

That depends entirely on whether or not Time is a 'thing' that can be manipulated in the paradigm you're working in (which it is for most high-fantasy worlds). If it is, then no amount of psi/magic resistance should be able to work on it, since he's warping the time-stream around you, rather than influencing you directly. Also, while in a time dilation bubble, you'll not only perceive time slower, but to any third party, you'll actually move slower.

If Tidus can both slow Strelok down by, say, x2, and speed himself up by x2, Strelok's at a severe disadvantage; if Tidus has good reflexes, he may be able to dodge bullets (he's got so much longer to see where Strelok's aiming, and has that extra moment to jump out of the way while the bullet escapes the dilation bubble).
[22:59] <apotheoseGrifter> COMMIT SUDOKU ALL NIGHT LONG FUCK YEAH
[18:14] <The_Gamemaster> I am here.
[18:14] <The_Gamemaster> I am always here.
[18:15] <The_Gamemaster> I have always been here, and I always will be here. I am the alpha and the omega, the beginning and the end.

Jack A T

• Bay Watcher
  • Mafia is What Players Make of It
    • View Profile
« Reply #587 on: October 11, 2010, 04:03:19 pm »

However, any lethal attacks by Tidus would require him to go into melee combat, which will get in the way of any bullet-slowing awesomeness.  Getting close to Strelok without a shotgun is a suicidal idea.  Strelok would be able to survive a few attacks, as I assume Tidus isn't quite as hard a hitter as a pseudogiant, and Strelok has high-quality armor.  He should be able to get a nice burst in on Tidus.

Besides, Tidus's Slow spell just seems to slow down an enemy's attack speed (and the opposite for Haste), not make the enemy less accurate or anything cool like that.  Strelok should just switch to full auto when slowed.

Strelok's best if he spots his target first.  If he does, Tidus is pretty much dead, due to a bullet in his head.  Strelok is good at sneaking around, and very good at close-quarters combat, both of which are necessary skills in this jungle.

Tidus can't really be very stealthy with that huge sword of his.  Strelok's armor, however, doesn't get in the way of his stealth too much (it's quiet and dark).
Quote from: Pandarsenic, BYOR 6.3 deadchat
FUCK YOU JACK
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris, Witches' Coven 2 Elfchat
YOU TRAITOROUS SWINE.
Screw you, Jack.

ein

• Bay Watcher
  • 勝利の女神はここよ~ 早く捕まえてぇ~
    • View Profile
« Reply #588 on: October 11, 2010, 04:21:24 pm »

Slow and haste affect overall speed.
The idea is, with Tidus twice as fast and Strelok twice as slow, Tidus will be able to see where Strelok will shoot, and move out of the way.
Assuming Tidus gets in close without already being shot, which is the more likely scenario.

ed boy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #589 on: October 11, 2010, 04:23:58 pm »

What about sneakiness? You're assuming that Tidus gets his spells off first. From what I can tell, Strelok would be a pretty sneaky dude, what about Tidus?

Jack A T

• Bay Watcher
  • Mafia is What Players Make of It
    • View Profile
« Reply #590 on: October 11, 2010, 04:28:53 pm »

I really, really can't see anyone with a sword as big as Tidus's being sneaky with that thing.
Quote from: Pandarsenic, BYOR 6.3 deadchat
FUCK YOU JACK
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris, Witches' Coven 2 Elfchat
YOU TRAITOROUS SWINE.
Screw you, Jack.

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #591 on: October 11, 2010, 07:17:19 pm »

I don't really see a rifle beating a sword in close-range. A pistol maybe, but anything with bursts is going to be somewhat unwieldy...
Vote (1) for the Urist scale!
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Urist has been forced to use a friend as fertilizer lately.
Read the First Post!

ein

• Bay Watcher
  • 勝利の女神はここよ~ 早く捕まえてぇ~
    • View Profile

CJ1145

• Bay Watcher
  • *Insert Meme Here*
    • View Profile
« Reply #593 on: October 11, 2010, 07:31:36 pm »

I don't want Tidus to win, but I'm thinking that he will. Ed boy, Strelok is good, but he's not as godly as people make him out to be. He's strong, and with the artifacts he's fairly quick. But if you go by comparisons made in the few (ie, 1) canon Final Fantasy crossover, Tidus is one of the fastest and most agile fighters around in his universe. If anyone can dodge bullets, especially when aided by time magic, it's him. And once he gets close his sword (potentially sharp to the point of magic if it's high level) would slice through Strelok easily.
This being Homestuck, I'm not sure whether that's post-scratch Rose or Vriska with a wig.

ein

• Bay Watcher
  • 勝利の女神はここよ~ 早く捕まえてぇ~
    • View Profile
« Reply #594 on: October 11, 2010, 07:35:13 pm »

The issue becomes whether or not Strelok can ambush Tidus.
I think he can, but with the AKS-74u?

CJ1145

• Bay Watcher
  • *Insert Meme Here*
    • View Profile
« Reply #595 on: October 11, 2010, 07:38:28 pm »

The issue becomes whether or not Strelok can ambush Tidus.
I think he can, but with the AKS-74u?

Well, every time somebody attacks Tidus the world warps for a second and weird music starts playing, so no  :P

But really, Tidus may not be stealthy, but he's certainly not loud with such light equipment. If it weren't for his training, Strelok would be far louder than Tidus when moving.
This being Homestuck, I'm not sure whether that's post-scratch Rose or Vriska with a wig.

Shade-o

• Bay Watcher
  • It's my greatest creation yet!
    • View Profile
« Reply #597 on: October 11, 2010, 07:44:09 pm »

Also, Strelok could pump himself up with all manner of military-grade experimental drugs developed for the Zone, not to mention the possible effects of drinking all those energy shots. Long term effects are debatable, but for short-term it would be like bullet-time for him.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2010, 07:52:29 pm by Shade-o »
Apparently having a redundant creature entry causes the game to say, "Oh, look, it's crazy world now. Nothing makes sense! Alligators live in houses!"

Phantom

• Bay Watcher
  • Asiatic Asian
    • View Profile
« Reply #598 on: October 11, 2010, 09:43:51 pm »

Also, Strelok could pump himself up with all manner of military-grade experimental drugs developed for the Zone, not to mention the possible effects of drinking all those energy shots. Long term effects are debatable, but for short-term it would be like bullet-time for him.
Despite Strelok being my dude, there were no drugs like that in the zone, just some things like surviving an emission, strength addition, PSI-Emission prevention drugs (Which remove emotion.), and some really good energy drinks which just give people energy.

ed boy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #599 on: October 12, 2010, 03:06:08 am »

so far, it seems like it would go this way:

-Strelok, being more sneaky than tidus, manages to land a few shots with one of his firearms.
-Tidus would most likely be using his ultimate weapon, which is linked to his health. While he's at full health, he's an absolute powerhouse, but as he gets injured, he gets a lot weaker.
-At this point, Tidus has taken heavy damage, but he knows where Strelok is (but he is out of sword range). Tidus tries to hide behind the nearest tree.
-While under cover, Tidus casts haste on himself. Strelok will either reload, throw a grenade, or both, depending on his weapon, how fast he is, and how long it takes Tidus to cast haste.
-Tidus would then either try to cast cheer, buffing him up, or move out from cover. If he tries to cast cheer, that would probably be enough time for the grenade to go off and kill/incapacitate him.
-If Tidus moves out, he would not really be able to charge directly at Strelok - Running in a straight line towards someone with a gun makes you a good target. Instead, he would try to flit from cover to cover.
-Strelok would most likely try to get him as he moves between cover, but I imagine he would be lucky if he got any good shots.
-If Tidus were to try to case slow on Strelok, it would most likely need him to stop long enough for Strelok to be able to get a lot of shots in
-Once he gets behind close enough cover, strelok would most likely switch to using a shotgun. Tidus would almost certainly have switched to a different weapon at some point.
-At this point, it becomes a question of whether a wounded, hasted Tidus can kill Strelok in close quarters.

In summary, it doesn't look good for Tidus.
Pages: 1 ... 38 39 [40] 41 42 ... 98