Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 24 25 [26] 27 28 ... 98

Author Topic: Fight to the death the second: Round two  (Read 83687 times)

Phantom

• Bay Watcher
  • Asiatic Asian
    • View Profile
Re: Fight to the death the second: Round one: A GDI disc thrower VS John Egbert
« Reply #375 on: September 19, 2010, 12:45:15 pm »

Do the rules say the Disc Thrower has to be from a certain era? No.
He could have been pulled from the Second Tiberium War, as they never existed by the third one except if McNeil decided to keep them along.

CJ1145

• Bay Watcher
  • *Insert Meme Here*
    • View Profile
« Reply #376 on: September 19, 2010, 12:48:31 pm »

Do the rules say the Disc Thrower has to be from a certain era? No.
He could have been pulled from the Second Tiberium War, as they never existed by the third one except if McNeil decided to keep them along.

Good for you, but you didn't acknowledge the other point. Even if they aren't out of production, he doesn't have unlimited ammo, and they're still grenades. It would take real work to uproot any significant number of trees.
This being Homestuck, I'm not sure whether that's post-scratch Rose or Vriska with a wig.

Phantom

• Bay Watcher
  • Asiatic Asian
    • View Profile
« Reply #377 on: September 19, 2010, 12:54:29 pm »

Considering every Command and Conquer unit goes out to battle without actually expending their Ammunition supply (Except for Air Units.), I doubt that Disc Throwers would have problems with ammo.

CJ1145

• Bay Watcher
  • *Insert Meme Here*
    • View Profile
« Reply #378 on: September 19, 2010, 12:55:35 pm »

Considering every Command and Conquer unit goes out to battle without actually expending their Ammunition supply (Except for Air Units.), I doubt that Disc Throwers would have problems with ammo.

Segregation of Story and Gameplay.
This being Homestuck, I'm not sure whether that's post-scratch Rose or Vriska with a wig.

Phantom

• Bay Watcher
  • Asiatic Asian
    • View Profile
« Reply #379 on: September 19, 2010, 12:58:54 pm »

Still, many grenades could fit in their storage unit. Many. Much more than a NOD Rocket Infantry or the other Grenadiers.

CJ1145

• Bay Watcher
  • *Insert Meme Here*
    • View Profile
« Reply #380 on: September 19, 2010, 01:01:10 pm »

Still, many grenades could fit in their storage unit. Many. Much more than a NOD Rocket Infantry or the other Grenadiers.

Yes, and even then that's a major disadvantage. That cumbersome pack would mess with his balance and aim, making it that much easier for John to get in for that killing blow.

Phantom

• Bay Watcher
  • Asiatic Asian
    • View Profile
« Reply #381 on: September 19, 2010, 01:05:22 pm »

They're trained to deal with their bullshit backpack, hasn't really put them in danger in all the missions they've went on. It just makes them slower than the average Light Infantry.

CJ1145

• Bay Watcher
  • *Insert Meme Here*
    • View Profile
« Reply #382 on: September 19, 2010, 01:06:17 pm »

They're trained to deal with their bullshit backpack, hasn't really put them in danger in all the missions they've went on. It just makes them slower than the average Light Infantry.

Gameplay and Story Segregation. It's mentioned on the page given that it can mess with their aim.

Phantom

• Bay Watcher
  • Asiatic Asian
    • View Profile
« Reply #383 on: September 19, 2010, 01:08:14 pm »

Jesus Christ, they're still pretty damned accurate compared to the regular guy with Pineapple grenades.
And should all else fail, I bet he could just drop the backpack and take up a pistol or something.

CJ1145

• Bay Watcher
  • *Insert Meme Here*
    • View Profile
« Reply #384 on: September 19, 2010, 01:08:43 pm »

Jesus Christ, they're still pretty damned accurate compared to the regular guy with Pineapple grenades.
And should all else fail, I bet he could just drop the backpack and take up a pistol or something.

Does he carry a pistol?

Phantom

• Bay Watcher
  • Asiatic Asian
    • View Profile
« Reply #385 on: September 19, 2010, 01:18:29 pm »

With your loophole finding ways, I say no. However for some obscene reason Technicians did.

Look, he ain't a commando as I portray most GDI soldiers to be to be so you can stop trying to find loopholes.

This is what I'll say now.

A GDI Disc Thrower, has a few good perks.
-Grenades, he can still take Egbert if he gets enough to hit him.
-Grenade Skipping, although it may not work well in this setting, it can still work to a degree.
-Armor, it has a chance of blocking Egbert's hammer somehow, if Egbert hits the wrong place, such as the arm or leg.
-Military Grade Training and Strength, should Egbert lose his hammers, he's done for. And the Disc Thrower could probably set up a good ambush.
Now here are the Disadvantages.
-Cumbersome backpack, his cumbersome disc storage device could give time for John to move in for the kill.
-Grenades, they are not very good when they're bouncing off trees and shit or when the target is in front of him.
-Environment, the Disc Thrower works best in snowy, desert/wasteland, urban, mountainous, and possibly beach settings, but the island lacks most of those.

CJ1145

• Bay Watcher
  • *Insert Meme Here*
    • View Profile
« Reply #386 on: September 19, 2010, 01:23:15 pm »

With your loophole finding ways, I say no. However for some obscene reason Technicians did.

Look, he ain't a commando as I portray most GDI soldiers to be to be so you can stop trying to find loopholes.

This is what I'll say now.

A GDI Disc Thrower, has a few good perks.
-Grenades, he can still take Egbert if he gets enough to hit him.
-Grenade Skipping, although it may not work well in this setting, it can still work to a degree.
-Armor, it has a chance of blocking Egbert's hammer somehow, if Egbert hits the wrong place, such as the arm or leg.
-Military Grade Training and Strength, should Egbert lose his hammers, he's done for. And the Disc Thrower could probably set up a good ambush.

All right then, I shall respond to those perks in order.

-Grenades could be deadly, but first they would have to reach him. On about 85% of the island this is extremely difficult.
-To a degree is an interesting term. It would really only work if it was on the mountain, going downhill. And you're assuming the disc thrower will reach it first.
-Armor might keep him alive for a hit, or maybe two, but if the disc thrower's arm is hit by Fear No Anvil or Wrinklefucker it's likely to be broken, ultimately dooming the GDI soldier.
-The training would be useful, but as it's been said he's more used to urban environments. I don't doubt he'd have some jungle combat training, but the extent and effectiveness of it is brought into question, given the Crapsack World C&C takes place in (that is, a general lack of jungle on the planet). As a frontline soldier, and a grenadier of sorts at that, John seems as likely to set an ambush as him.

Phantom

• Bay Watcher
  • Asiatic Asian
    • View Profile
« Reply #387 on: September 19, 2010, 01:29:56 pm »

I acknowledge the Disc Throwers flaws, and the fact I already mentioned the Grenades flaws you pretty much didn't need to talk about it. So can we get this moving along now?

CJ1145

• Bay Watcher
  • *Insert Meme Here*
    • View Profile
« Reply #388 on: September 19, 2010, 01:35:27 pm »

Well I saw the flaws, but I needed to address all of them in my own mind, lest the order be messed up. Or something. Yeah, let's just get ed in here.

ed boy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Fight to the death the second
« Reply #389 on: September 19, 2010, 02:15:13 pm »

Winner: John Egbert

Reasons outlined above.

Next round: Jar Jar VS Dark Lord Sauron

Spoiler: tree (click to show/hide)
Pages: 1 ... 24 25 [26] 27 28 ... 98