Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 23 24 [25] 26 27 ... 98

Author Topic: Fight to the death the second: Round two  (Read 83665 times)

CJ1145

• Bay Watcher
  • *Insert Meme Here*
    • View Profile
Re: Fight to the death the second: Round one: A GDI disc thrower VS John Egbert
« Reply #360 on: September 19, 2010, 11:48:48 am »

Is John able to survive multiple explosions in a semi-quick succession?

How quick are we talking? Because he only needs one good hit to make this disc thrower deader than dead.
This being Homestuck, I'm not sure whether that's post-scratch Rose or Vriska with a wig.

Phantom

• Bay Watcher
  • Asiatic Asian
    • View Profile
« Reply #361 on: September 19, 2010, 11:52:47 am »

Perhaps a 3-5 second gap between throws.

CJ1145

• Bay Watcher
  • *Insert Meme Here*
    • View Profile
« Reply #362 on: September 19, 2010, 11:53:24 am »

And is this at melee or at range?
This being Homestuck, I'm not sure whether that's post-scratch Rose or Vriska with a wig.

Phantom

• Bay Watcher
  • Asiatic Asian
    • View Profile
« Reply #363 on: September 19, 2010, 11:53:54 am »

At range until John closes up into melee.

CJ1145

• Bay Watcher
  • *Insert Meme Here*
    • View Profile
« Reply #364 on: September 19, 2010, 11:59:50 am »

Well, the disc thrower's aim is nowhere near impeccable, and John is quick, so we can guess he'd evade at least 1 in 3 discs. Then there's the tons of cover provided by their location, which is simply better suited to John's style. Then when he gets to melee it's take one, maybe two hits from any of his three hammers (which he can wield at once)--WAIT. This is a moot point. John wins for one reason:

He doesn't have to go to melee. His gloves would allow him to keep distance while two of his hammers wail away at the disc thrower.

Phantom

• Bay Watcher
  • Asiatic Asian
    • View Profile
« Reply #365 on: September 19, 2010, 12:01:21 pm »

Wait, I thought the gloves only apply for the Sassacrusher.

CJ1145

• Bay Watcher
  • *Insert Meme Here*
    • View Profile
« Reply #366 on: September 19, 2010, 12:03:28 pm »

Wait, I thought the gloves only apply for the Sassacrusher.

I'm pretty sure each glove held one hammer.

ed boy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #367 on: September 19, 2010, 12:04:10 pm »

The giant hammers are not allowed - the rule that we're following is that john would need to be able to carry everything through a doorway in one go.

CJ1145

• Bay Watcher
  • *Insert Meme Here*
    • View Profile
« Reply #368 on: September 19, 2010, 12:09:14 pm »

The giant hammers are not allowed - the rule that we're following is that john would need to be able to carry everything through a doorway in one go.

But if he were wielding the gloves, he could carry it.

Phantom

• Bay Watcher
  • Asiatic Asian
    • View Profile
« Reply #369 on: September 19, 2010, 12:11:58 pm »

Yes, but is it able to fit through the gate? Probably not unless he twists it.
And isn't a giant flying hammer being remotely operated a bit overpowered? And if I remember, John only used the Fear No Anvil and the Wrinklef*cker with his own hands, not the gloves.

CJ1145

• Bay Watcher
  • *Insert Meme Here*
    • View Profile
« Reply #370 on: September 19, 2010, 12:13:24 pm »

Well, that's true. But getting back to my earlier points, if John was able to get within range Fear No Anvil and Wrinklefucker would make short work of the disc thrower. And in the jungle, getting in range is not a problem.

Phantom

• Bay Watcher
  • Asiatic Asian
    • View Profile
« Reply #371 on: September 19, 2010, 12:17:57 pm »

With enough time (Maybe before John gets to his side), I'm pretty sure the disc thrower could desolate a small part of the island a bit and wait there, being a little more in his element. And I've never seen John fight in the jungle, just his house, the blue area that I forgot it's name, and some other place that was indoors.

Karnewarrior

• Bay Watcher
  • That guy who used to be here all the time
    • View Profile
« Reply #372 on: September 19, 2010, 12:29:49 pm »

John certainly is more suited to fighting in cluttered quarters such as a jungle, forest, or interior environments. However, he probably does not have the brainpower to realize this. Likely, John would go for the disc-thrower wherever he may be.

And there-in lies the disc-throwers advantage. If he could choose and modify a environment more favorable to him, he could possibly win. However, he can't take a entire city block with him through the gate, so he's still out of his element.

John is useless in ranged combat, so he'd have to get in close to the D-T, and there is the problem. John hasn't shown the mental ability of Rose, so in all likelyhood he wouldn't use his relatively quiet movement to his advantage. John could certainly win in a ambush, and could probably win in the jungle. But if the D-T waits on the beach, fortified and prepared, he could very well blow John to smithereens.
Thou art I, I art Thou.
The trust you have bestowed upon thy comrade is now reciprocated in turn.
Thou shall be blessed when calling upon personae of the Hangman Arcana.
May this tie bind thee to a brighter future!​
Ikusaba Quest! - Fistfighting space robots for the benefit of your familial bonds to Satan is passe, so you call Sherlock Holmes and ask her to pop by.

Phantom

• Bay Watcher
  • Asiatic Asian
    • View Profile
« Reply #373 on: September 19, 2010, 12:35:15 pm »

I'm pretty sure the Disc Thrower could really blow down a few of the trees to make room, which happened often in Tiberian Sun because Trees often got in the way of buildings and crap. On the beach, perhaps the disc thrower could lug a bags for making sandbags, and make a fortified position in wait for John.

CJ1145

• Bay Watcher
  • *Insert Meme Here*
    • View Profile
« Reply #374 on: September 19, 2010, 12:42:04 pm »

Not a chance. He's not carrying more than one sandbag in one trip. If he did, John's convenient acquirement of several giant hammers would make the point moot.

Another thing that should be mentioned is that the disc thrower is actually outdated. He is using equipment and tactics that were abandoned by GDI long ago. This dedication either means he's immensely stupid, or that he's so used to disc throwing that he's refused orders to upgrade. If he's refused orders to upgrade, it's safe to say that his weaponry is no longer in production. He'd probably have a limited number of "discs" to throw. If he runs out, he's well and truly doomed; therefore, he couldn't waste it on clearing space.
Pages: 1 ... 23 24 [25] 26 27 ... 98