Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 79 80 [81] 82 83 ... 98

Author Topic: Fight to the death the second: Round two  (Read 83845 times)

FuzzyZergling

• Bay Watcher
  • Zergin' erry day.
    • View Profile
Re: Fight to the death the second: Round two
« Reply #1200 on: November 21, 2010, 11:23:05 am »

I don't think so.

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #1201 on: November 21, 2010, 11:49:44 am »

I don't know about breathing, but he once went for most of an Age without getting food or water, and he's still around for Lord of the Rings, so I'd imagine he'll not die of old age anytime soon.

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
The Artist Formerly Known as Barbarossa TSG

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1202 on: November 21, 2010, 11:22:37 pm »

But Zedd may also not age, rendering the 'death by old age' contest a tie...
Vote (1) for the Urist scale!
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Urist has been forced to use a friend as fertilizer lately.
Read the First Post!

ragnarok97071

• Bay Watcher
  • /人 ◕ ‿‿ ◕人\
    • View Profile
« Reply #1203 on: November 21, 2010, 11:38:52 pm »

Sauron. He's Immortal unless his opponant has the one haxsword. then it just takes it cutting off his ring finger. also IIRC, he's a MINOR GOD, so there really isn't all that much that could seriously pose any threat. unless he's in eye form. then he just says "hey, dude, have a shiny." and then zedd is his mind-slave.
Quote from: Wing, via Discord
I want a coat that doesn't make me look like a rear admiral from the East India Company

FuzzyZergling

• Bay Watcher
  • Zergin' erry day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1204 on: November 21, 2010, 11:48:48 pm »

Sauron. He's Immortal unless his opponant has the one haxsword. then it just takes it cutting off his ring finger. also IIRC, he's a MINOR GOD, so there really isn't all that much that could seriously pose any threat. unless he's in eye form. then he just says "hey, dude, have a shiny." and then zedd is his mind-slave.
This is Sauron before he crafted The One Ring, I'm pretty certain.

Anybody else notice we're getting really good matchups here?
Like, it's uncanny.

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #1205 on: November 21, 2010, 11:57:55 pm »

No, this is Sauron after he created the ring, sans immortality via soul transfer. He still has the abilities it grants him, but he neither lives forever nor implodes when he loses a finger.

Est Sularus Oth Mithas

lemon10

• Bay Watcher
  • Citrus Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #1206 on: November 22, 2010, 12:31:54 am »

Reading the lord of the rings wiki and looking at sauron, all i could find is that a) he is a awsome chessmaster and manipulator (but he lost that power when smote down by the LOTR god), b) he could shapeshift and was good at illusions c) and apparently
he is capable of altering the physical substance of the world around him by mere effort of will (albeit to a far lesser extent

Sauron isn't a fighter however, and while he could fight, his main power was manipulation and raising armies.
And unless i'm wrong. Also, he doesn't have that awsome mace, that was only in the movie, and if we are using movie sauron, then the mace is the only power he has.

So, which sauron is it barbarossa?
And with a mighty leap, the evil Conservative flies through the window, escaping our heroes once again!
Because the solution to not being able to control your dakka is MOAR DAKKA.

That's it. We've finally crossed over and become the nation of Da Orky Boyz.

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1207 on: November 22, 2010, 12:49:21 am »

Lord Zedd could, in theory, continuously teleport and zap in quick succession, making it practically impossible to aim at him while sustaining an attack that is practically impossible to anticipate. This would make him essentially undefeatable by anyone with remotely sane levels of movement and durability and weapons that do any less than devastate entire regions with no warning. I assume that this technique was not used in his home series, why?
Vote (1) for the Urist scale!
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Urist has been forced to use a friend as fertilizer lately.
Read the First Post!

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #1208 on: November 22, 2010, 01:33:07 am »

So, which sauron is it Barbarossa?
It is neither, it is the one that we are using. The one from the Lord of the Rings universe. He has all of his powers save for immortality. Probably the one from near the end of the second age, before whats-his-face cut his finger off.

Just because he was a diplomat doesn't mean he wasn't also a fighter. That's like saying that elephants aren't big because they're usually gray.

he lost that power when smote down by the LOTR god
Not only did he not lose that power (except for losing his shape-shifting), Illuvatar never did anything to him.

Also, he doesn't have that awesome mace, that was only in the movie, and if we are using movie Sauron, then the mace is the only power he has.
Believe it or not, Sauron actually did have a weapon, and he was actually very powerful. The mace itself wasn't the cause of the devastation, the astounding force behind it was.

Est Sularus Oth Mithas

lemon10

• Bay Watcher
  • Citrus Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #1209 on: November 22, 2010, 11:14:43 pm »

It is neither, it is the one that we are using. The one from the Lord of the Rings universe. He has all of his powers save for immortality. Probably the one from near the end of the second age, before whats-his-face cut his finger off.

Just because he was a diplomat doesn't mean he wasn't also a fighter. That's like saying that elephants aren't big because they're usually gray.
The elephant thing is pretty silly. It's more like saying a firefighter isn't a kung fu master, he could be and might be, but his focus is in firefighting.
He isn't a fighter its pretty clear, he can fight well, but that isn't what his focus is.
sauron is badass in a fight, but i don't see how he could fight zedd, since zedd can just stay out of range and zap him with electricity.

Not only did he not lose that power (except for losing his shape-shifting), Illuvatar never did anything to him.
From the lotr wiki:
"Finally, [sauron] convinced Ar-Pharazôn to rebel against the Valar and attack Valinor itself. Eru (God) then directly intervened -- Númenor was drowned under the sea, and the great navy of Númenor was destroyed. The world was bent, so that thereafter only Elven-Ships could sail into the Utter West. Sauron was diminished in the flood of Númenor, and fled back to Mordor, where he slowly rebuilt his strength during the time known as the Dark Years.
From this point on he was unable to assume a fair shape, and ruled now through terror and force."
Illuvatar took away his power to assume a fair form, which pretty much takes away all his power to manipulate people (unless they are really stupid and think they should trust someone that looks openly evil), he retains his shapeshifting (he just has to look evil).
So yeah, Illuvatar did pretty much smite him and his armies (yeah it didn't kill him but it took away some of his powers)
He still has shape shifting though, as long as he turns into something that looks evil.
And with a mighty leap, the evil Conservative flies through the window, escaping our heroes once again!

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #1210 on: November 23, 2010, 12:20:32 am »

I stand corrected.

So, does anyone know about lord Zedd and his telewarping/lightning powers, and how each of them are used? Lightning wouldn't help very much if there has to be an open path to the sky. (Sauron could go underground, he can see in the dark anyway.)

Est Sularus Oth Mithas

lemon10

• Bay Watcher
  • Citrus Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #1211 on: November 23, 2010, 12:29:38 am »

I think that it's more of a electricity blast from his staff (like what static does)  then lightning from the sky.
And barbarossa, you are supposed to be the judge, not taking part in the discussion with everyone else.

And i think zedd can see in the dark as well (he has super vision or something), so that wouldn't really help (as well as probably being able to collapse a cave if sauron went in it).

Lord Zedd could, in theory, continuously teleport and zap in quick succession, making it practically impossible to aim at him while sustaining an attack that is practically impossible to anticipate. This would make him essentially undefeatable by anyone with remotely sane levels of movement and durability and weapons that do any less than devastate entire regions with no warning. I assume that this technique was not used in his home series, why?
Because it's power rangers, if the villain's actually WON (which they could have if they had any intelligence at all) then the show would be over.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #1212 on: November 23, 2010, 01:36:21 am »

As far as I understood, Sauron's physical form isn't nigh-invulnerable, but being a magician of epic proportions, he would easily have a method of shrugging off continuous lightning blasts. I don't know Lord Zedd, but I would assume that if he saw his ranged attacks having no effect whatsoever, he would eventually switch to melee combat, at which point Sauron would have a chance of bashing his skull in. We don't see whether or not Sauron shrugs off physical blows, even in the movie adaptation we only see him take one "critical hit", which I'd assume was effective only because it took the ring off. I mean, he essentially waded through a battlefield, towering above everything else. The only thing he lacked was a giant neon sign saying "archers shoot here", yet he didn't seem to get hit.

All in all, I can't draw a conclusion in favor of either of the characters. I know too little of Lord Zedd, and Lord Sauron is a mysterious figure, intentionally left "broadly defined" in canon, so we don't have any concrete info on him. In this case, Sauron's abilities other than being a big guy in black armor would really decide the outcome of the fight, unlike in the previous fight.

Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

FuzzyZergling

• Bay Watcher
  • Zergin' erry day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1213 on: November 23, 2010, 02:46:05 am »

I'd say that being kind-of-a-God, Sauron would be nigh invulnerable to regular weapons.
But Zedd uses magic, so that's not a problem for him.

It's been a while since I read TLoTR, so if someone could verify this I would give them an internet cookie*.

*Internet cookies are not a form of valid currency, and in fact are only imaginary abstractions of actual cookies and have no value. No refunds.

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #1214 on: November 23, 2010, 09:19:12 am »

Aye, if someone would either read the links or read the books for additional Sauron powers, that'd be helpful.

@Lemon10, sorry, forgot that Sauron was my character for a second. I'll stop directly arguing until the next fight where one of my combatants isn't a participant, though I'll obviously still give information aobut them.

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
Pages: 1 ... 79 80 [81] 82 83 ... 98